Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage restrictions on AY-codeshare with BA ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond

Okay...//rant on//

I'm flying HEL-LHR-DEN-LHE-HEL with BA on a BA-ticket. The problem is that the LHR-HEL leg is on AY codeshare on AY metal and currently the baggage allowance shows to be 1 for that leg.

So is it really so that due to the last leg (which I can't even upgrade with AY points as the ticket is issued for BA) I can actually only carry one bag on this whole trip? Even though BA status would allow me to take one extra piece with me for the 3 other trips and the 4th flight was sold to me by BA as their flight number. And due to the flight being Y-ticket, I can't even upgrade it using avios (AY doesn't have this restriction, but as I said, as the flight is sold as BA flight the upgrade is not possible) in order to gain larger allowances.

//rant off//
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
AY does allow one additional bag free of charge for all OW Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald members. I've taken advantage of the numerous times before, and if I recall correctly, both the BA and AY MMB's display the limit incorrectly as one bag. It will be printed out properly on the boarding pass, however.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks, so it seems, at least it is clearly mentioned at AY's website (at least in Finnish) but you are correct that the systems displays it wrong.
But that benefit seems to be personal for the card holder whereas the BA's allowance applies to everyone in the same booking, just as a general notion.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:11 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The most significant carrier rule would mean that the allowance on the LHR-DEN-LHR segment would apply to the HEL-LHR-HEL section also. You should not rely on MMB.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:43 pm

No problem taking the extra bag even in economy. I did it in November, it's stated clearly (I do read Finnish, so perhaps only clear to me and the other 5 million) and isn't questioned at check-in.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
It's fairly clear on the English webpage as well. Although, reading it now, it does say "operated and marketed by Finnair", so maybe codeshares are excluded? Hard to imagine them giving you hard time about it, though.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nux
The most significant carrier rule would mean that the allowance on the LHR-DEN-LHR segment would apply to the HEL-LHR-HEL section also. You should not rely on MMB.
For a booking to the US, then the US rules apply and the 1st airline chooses which airline's baggage allowance to apply. This allowance then applies to the entire itinerary ( including return trip )

It is required that the baggage allowance be on the ticket, so if MMB is showing 1 piece , that should be correct, though a read through the eticket receipt should provide a definitive answer
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mebe
It's fairly clear on the English webpage as well. Although, reading it now, it does say "operated and marketed by Finnair", so maybe codeshares are excluded? Hard to imagine them giving you hard time about it, though.
I was flying as a BA Silver on an AY ticket, with a domestic connection (marketed and sold by, but not operated by Finnair), and the second bag was no problem on that or my connecting flight which was a straightforward AY ticket on AY metal. But I wonder now with Dave Noble's post whether it would have been as straightforward on a BA ticket.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For a booking to the US, then the US rules apply and the 1st airline chooses which airline's baggage allowance to apply. This allowance then applies to the entire itinerary ( including return trip )

It is required that the baggage allowance be on the ticket, so if MMB is showing 1 piece , that should be correct, though a read through the eticket receipt should provide a definitive answer
Well, actually in the email ticket (or whatever, haven't received the actual e-ticket at all) it says
"Adults and children: 1 bag (weight restrictions apply"

Well, I guess as the flight is still operated and marketed as AY flight the rules given by Finnair apply, even though I can not use my AY plus points for upgrade.

On a second note, as I'm flying LHR-DEN in CW and the baggage allowance is 3, shouldn't this allowance apply to the whole itiniery if one would follow those US-rules?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Well, actually in the email ticket (or whatever, haven't received the actual e-ticket at all) it says
"Adults and children: 1 bag (weight restrictions apply"

Well, I guess as the flight is still operated and marketed as AY flight the rules given by Finnair apply, even though I can not use my AY plus points for upgrade.

On a second note, as I'm flying LHR-DEN in CW and the baggage allowance is 3, shouldn't this allowance apply to the whole itiniery if one would follow those US-rules?
The allowance applied at the start of the itinerary applies to the whole itinerary. Whatever it states on the eticket is the allowance

The allowance for the LHR-HEL sector ( on a single ticketed itinerary ) cannot be different to the HEL-LHR sector due to DOT rules

You stated that you are in economy class in the 1st post, so am confused here
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

The allowance applied at the start of the itinerary applies to the whole itinerary. Whatever it states on the eticket is the allowance

The allowance for the LHR-HEL sector ( on a single ticketed itinerary ) cannot be different to the HEL-LHR sector due to DOT rules

You stated that you are in economy class in the 1st post, so am confused here
Its complicated, well, no it is not. HEL-LHR-DEN was booked as WTP (then UuA for LHR-DEN) thus the HEL-LHR is somewhat flexible economy.
In MMB baggage allowance for both these flights is "3 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag"

For the inbound leg, DEN-LHR-HEL both flights in Y
"Adults and children: 2 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag" for DEN-LHR
"Adults and children: 1 bag (weight restrictions apply) " for LHR-HEL

Dunno, but I'm now quite certain that I can at least take one additional baggage with me for the whole trip, three is really not even feasible but just FYI that is what is stated for the allowance for the first leg of the whole itienary.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
We had this problem last year.
Flew BA to YYV in F - lots of bag allowance.
Alaska YYV - SEA 1 bag, had to pay for others. I showed check in person my CX gold with the sapphire symbol but they ignored it.

Changed MMB so showing CX gold card as status instead of BA blue.

5 other Alaska and AA flights - allowed 2 bags.

But if you're silver it should show more bags anyway I think.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

What does your e-ticket say

Under DOT regulations , this has to be stated on the e-ticket and whatever the allowance is for the 1st flight is required to be applied to the whole itinerary. This will be the definitive statement of what is permitted and is what should be considered when planning luggage.

The luggage allowance cannot be different for different sectors of a single ticketed itinerary where travel is to the USA
I can not find those things you mention in the email that contains e-ticket, only links to Ba-website. I.e. http://www.britishairways.com/travel...k/public/en_fi
The BA e-ticket definately is very much different than i.e. AY e-ticket, so I don't know whether the information you want me to check is included there directly?

On the e-ticket the allowances are exactly the same as copy-pasted above (though 3 pieces is naturally 2 for the outbound legs as i UuA after ticket was issued).

Last edited by Post Scriptum; Mar 25, 2013 at 3:23 pm Reason: It would seem that I'm continously somehow "upgrading" myself on these posts :)
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Its complicated, well, no it is not. HEL-LHR-DEN was booked as WTP (then UuA for LHR-DEN) thus the HEL-LHR is somewhat flexible economy.
In MMB baggage allowance for both these flights is "3 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag"

For the inbound leg, DEN-LHR-HEL both flights in Y
"Adults and children: 2 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag" for DEN-LHR
"Adults and children: 1 bag (weight restrictions apply) " for LHR-HEL

Dunno, but I'm now quite certain that I can at least take one additional baggage with me for the whole trip, three is really not even feasible but just FYI that is what is stated for the allowance for the first leg of the whole itinerary.
What does your e-ticket say

Under DOT regulations , this has to be stated on the e-ticket and whatever the allowance is for the 1st flight is required to be applied to the whole itinerary. This will be the definitive statement of what is permitted and is what should be considered when planning luggage.

The luggage allowance cannot be different for different sectors of a single ticketed itinerary where travel is to the USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.