Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sighting of BA's first 787

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by A P Yu
The FAA will be pretty keen to get the thing up in the air quickly and safely so I am sure if Boeing meet the requirements the FAA approved then all should be resolved relatively quickly.

The FAA will want it up and running as its not great for them to having to remove certification of a US plane so they will be working closely and supportively with Boeing for a safe return to service as a win:win for all.
The FAA should be completely neutral. The moment they become keen or eager, is when corners are cut or rules bent.

They would show no such eagerness to certify an Airbus aircraft so Boeing shouldn't get any special treatment.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Originally Posted by Peter M

Most aircraft are painted white because it weighs less, dark paint pigment is heavier and will burn more gas to fly around.
I believe that's actually incorrect.

Most planes are painted white to decrease heat build up. The skin of a plane already gets hot through friction during flight and dark colours increase this heat. The hotter the plane the more fuel it burns. So yes it is about cost, but for different reasons.

In fact, when Concorde was painted in the pepsi colours they were advised not to take it above mach 2 for more than 20 minutes as they were worried what the additional heat would do to the fuselage.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mdj1
I believe that's actually incorrect.

Most planes are painted white to decrease heat build up. The skin of a plane already gets hot through friction during flight and dark colours increase this heat. The hotter the plane the more fuel it burns. So yes it is about cost, but for different reasons.

In fact, when Concorde was painted in the pepsi colours they were advised not to take it above mach 2 for more than 20 minutes as they were worried what the additional heat would do to the fuselage.
My pilot friend tells me that all white paint allows him to spot concerns during a visual inspection more easily than colours....
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Perhaps Boeing should adopt the same marketing strategy as toy manufacturers and state that batteries are not included.
Love it
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
BBB, is there anything about the design of the 787 that makes your job easier/more pleasant?
With all the discussions centred around the customer experience, I often wonder if some aircraft are better designed from a cabin crew perspective than others.
In all honesty, I don't know. We have not really been told that much about it yet... Apart from the onboard product, which everyone else knows about.

From a purely (crew) selfish point of view... As this will be replacing the 767 aircraft, and as known, on many of the same routes... The 787 comes as standard with cabin crew bunks, which will be a vast improvement over the 3 economy seats in the back row. Some of the flights like LUN, EBB and YYC can be quite long, and to have your break in the traveler seats at the back, with people bumping you through the curtain as they go too and from the toilet, mainly because they don't know people are behind them, is not great. being able to completely get out of the cabin for a break will be nice.

We don't yet officially know how the crewing will work in terms of who will work where, but my guess is would be as follows...

We know it will have 1 x CSD, 1 x CSL and 6 x Main Crew.

35 CW seats is only 3 more than the main deck of a Mid-J 744.

CSD and 2 main crew working in Club.
CSL and 4 main crew working in WT+ and WT.

Similar to the 767, but with an extra crew member in WT+/WT due to higher configuration.

But, that is just my guess. No doubt someone will be along to say I am wrong.

Last edited by BingBongBoy; Mar 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm Reason: Sorry, spelling is crap tonight...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Peter M
I toured the Boeing plant near Seattle today.
I looked down on the factory floor and there was the first BA 787 nearly fully assembled, it already looks good although only the tail is painted.

If you have wondered why all the Boeings start with 7?
.....No it is not 7 for luck! In Boeing terminology it means they are jet-powered aircraft, 1-5 are props, if you are lucky enough to fly in a Boeing starting with 8 eg 8X8, it means the aircraft will be rocket-powered.

Sorry no photography was allowed, I am sure we will see the BA 787 first flight soon.^
I assume didn't go to Boeing's Seattle plant, but rather to its Everett plant.

7x7 are commercial jets. It makes other jets which aren't for commercial use - e.g. military jets and the BBJ (a private version of the 737).

The bit about 8x8 is just hype from the PR person. They aren't on the drawing board and until they are don't count on the 8x8. Since 27x7s are supersonic commerical passenger jets, no reason to think that if and when they make rocket commerical jets they might be something like 37x7s... no way to know.

Touring a Boeing factory is fun, but just like any industrial tour (or non industrial tour for that matter) don't believe everything you are told.

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Don't really think you can call the 727 short-lived!
Good grief no. First flight Feb 9 1963 and over 200 still in commerical service -- that's 50 years of flight!

Originally Posted by Himeno
7A7?
A 7x7 where the x is a letter indicates an aircraft in design before it is marketed.

Last edited by Indelaware; Mar 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
BBJ (a private version of the 737).
Which, if I am not mistaken... Can be a private version of any Boeing jet... A 747-8 which is made as a private/corporate jet, would also be classed as a BBJ, just based on a different frame...

Wiki

Boing BBJ Website - Click on "Models"
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Which, if I am not mistaken... Can be a private version of any Boeing jet... A 747-8 which is made as a private/corporate jet, would also be classed as a BBJ, just based on a different frame...

Wiki

Boing BBJ Website - Click on "Models"
BBJ is actually a short form of the BBJ1.

BBJ1 is based on the 737-700.
BBJ2 is based on the 737–800.
BBJ3 is based on the 737-900ER.
BBJ C is a variant of the BBJ featuring the "quick change" capabilities of the 737-700C.
BBJ MAX 8 and BBJ MAX 9 are proposed variants of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 and 9
747 VIP: version of the 747-8 ordered by the Boeing Business Jet division. 777 VIP: version of the 777-200LR ordered by the Boeing Business Jet division.
787 VIP: version of the 787-8/-9 ordered by the Boeing Business Jet division.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BBJ is actually a short form of the BBJ1.

BBJ1 is based on the 737-700.
BBJ2 is based on the 737–800.
BBJ3 is based on the 737-900ER.
BBJ C is a variant of the BBJ featuring the "quick change" capabilities of the 737-700C.
BBJ MAX 8 and BBJ MAX 9 are proposed variants of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 and 9
747 VIP: version of the 747-8 ordered by the Boeing Business Jet division. 777 VIP: version of the 777-200LR ordered by the Boeing Business Jet division.
787 VIP: version of the 787-8/-9 ordered by the Boeing Business Jet division.
Ah right... I gets ya...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:44 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I assume didn't go to Boeing's Seattle plant, but rather to its Everett plant.
Or Upper Mukilteo if you like.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Don't really think you can call the 727 short-lived!
OK - apologies... 'short-lived' as far as my sightings are concerned.

I haven't seen one nor heard about one for donkey's years! I thought they all must have disappeared. (wrongly, now, I admit)

You can't deny that it lacked the 'popularity' of the 737 and 747 though, adding to my thought that it 'died out' many years ago...
Old Mar 23, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by dunk
There's a YouTube video of the 777 wing flex being tested to destruction. Pretty impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0
One of the 787's wing too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA9Kato1CxA

One interesting difference, is with the 787 it is only one of the wings and the wing box being tested.

BTW, the 367 was a jet.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by Stripy
I never want to look out the window and see that happening to full effect!
OT, but i remember reading somewhere the 747's wings flap up and down a lot too by a significant amount in flight. Anyone know how much they move?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
OT, but i remember reading somewhere the 747's wings flap up and down a lot too by a significant amount in flight. Anyone know how much they move?
There's this post on pprune, that seems to suggest 7-10 feet.

I remember a Boeing materials scientist telling me you can move the 747's wingtip a bit by hand.

Last edited by greg5; Mar 23, 2013 at 2:18 am Reason: Typo... ...and model clarification.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by onaswan

You can't deny that it lacked the 'popularity' of the 737 and 747 though, adding to my thought that it 'died out' many years ago...
There have been 1800 727s manufactured and only 1450 747s, so using that metric its a lot less 'popular'

Its along way short of the 7500 737s though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.