State of the T5 lounges

Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by olybeast
People are messy. Get over it
Indeed ... after a long flight an aircraft cabin is in a terrible state.

Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Indeed ... after a long flight an aircraft cabin is in a terrible state.

Slightly different. After a LH flight you really have no option.

Here it is dieffent. It's not that much of a stretch to lift the different section of the paper off the floor. Or find a bin here
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by Neiltoo
I'm sure you didn't mean it this way but that sort of reads as if the fact that you have spent thousands on a ticket means that you therefore have no need to have consideration for others.

I'm with the OP here, doesn't matter who you are, or how much you have spent, scattering newspapers over the floor is just plain rude.
Or to give another view point, does not matter who you are or how much you have spent, cleaners / lounge staff dedicated to this function and not doing their job is just plain rude.

/AE
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The lounges are often in a state because the staff to guest ratio is too low to provide the right level of service (e.g. proactively taking orders in the Flounge and CCR) and to keep the lounge in an appropriate state. I do not leave much of a mess but I do leave used glasses, crockery and the occasional publication to be cleared away. It can often take a long time for this to happen even in the CCR. This is because there simply aren't enough staff. An attended lounge us not like a railway station waiting room it s not meant o be self maintained by passengers.

Actually in the Virgin Trains Euston Lounge last week I had my drinks glasses collected 3 times within 30 minutes. That is considerably better than I have ever seen in any BA lounge however quiet it may be.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by MickV
Slightly different. After a LH flight you really have no option.

Here it is dieffent. It's not that much of a stretch to lift the different section of the paper off the floor. Or find a bin here
Don't worry, I'm sure someone apologized for you after the flight :P
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
There is a difference between being messy (sic) and taking the piss because someone else is clearing up
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by angeloedades
Or to give another view point, does not matter who you are or how much you have spent, cleaners / lounge staff dedicated to this function and not doing their job is just plain rude.

/AE
Yes, I guess most problems are due to the help just not doing their job properly
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
Don't worry, I'm sure someone apologized for you after the flight :P
Phew!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:55 am

After wasting my time to read arguments pro and against what each poster gathered from an epic description of OP on how great the mess was at the lounge - the best would be, when you start a thread like this, to attach a photo of those awfully scattered papers so that readers could judge themselves if what horrified OP, also horrifies them :-)
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:14 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
and others are disgusted by having to try and find room to sit amid the mess created by others. I really do wonder what some people's homes look like.

It's part of the superiority complex that infests this forum.
If superiority equates with a dislike of slobbishness then count me in. The fact is that the lounges are not cleared quickly enough but most people do not make the place look a mess. Still it's part of the couldn't-give-a-toss attitude that is part of society nowadays. Oddly enough I did not notice this in Madrid of all places in that Lounge at the end of the tracks from whence BA fly.

Mickey V - good for you. I'll travel with you anywhere.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Honestly, it sounds like a bit of both.

I haven't been to Galleries N/S in a while, but I can imagine they're short staffed. That's just made worse if instead of trying to compensate people just treat the place like a dump.

I've certainly never had that problem in the CCR - I've never seen people get enough food or drinks to cause much of a mess :O
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
The obsessive-compulsive bit of me insists that not only do I tidy-up the newspapers that I was reading, but that I actually put them back together as they were originally printed which can be like putting a jigsaw puzzle together on a Sunday. I suppose I should seek treatment for this.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I don't understand the concept of apologizing for some other stranger's bad behavior.
I end up doing it quite often in Florida. The number of times I've said "I'm so sorry, not all British tourists are like that"

I wouldn't clean up after myself in a lounge, but I certainly wouldn't leave it in a mess. I don't think it's that difficult to tidy a little.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think a facility for returning your tray/litter back would be an excellent idea especially for those of us who wish to clean up our own mess.

At least it'll give the cleaners more time to clear up after those who prefer to leave everything at their backsides.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think a facility for returning your tray/litter back would be an excellent idea especially for those of us who wish to clean up our own mess.

At least it'll give the cleaners more time to clear up after those who prefer to leave everything at their backsides.
No it won't because the root cause of the problem is that there are not enough cleaners to properly patrol the lounge and keep everything in order. You don't see the same problems in some other airline lounges (although the US carriers are not a good example here).

Try the CX F Lounge to see how even at Heathrow a lounge can be well maintained and cleaned.

Yes people shouldn't leave a mess but are the lounges built on the self service canteen approach where all are expected to return their plates and glasses? Even in a Wetherspoons these are collected promptly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.