State of the T5 lounges

Old Mar 22, 13, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by olybeast View Post
People are messy. Get over it
You're right, olybeast, people are messy. But messiness is a continuum and I do think that there's a point on said continuum where messiness intersects with poor manners.

My first ever job was clearing tables (in a BHS 'restaurant' for the princely sum of £1.80 per hour ) and most of the time I enjoyed it, no matter how much mess I had to clear up. The only time my heart would sink was when I would encounter an area where items were strewn under the table and across the seats because the lack of respect and consideration it denoted was rather disheartening. And I'm sure the staff in the Galleries must feel the same. Interestingly, I often received apologies from people like MickV, who felt bad that other customers had left such a mess, and it did help to cheer me up. So to those of you who are so minded, keep doing it!

I do agree however with those who have said that things would be better if sufficient staff were on shift; it really does make a big difference when staff can concentrate on particular areas rather than trying to cover several at once.
Old Mar 22, 13, 6:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Originally Posted by stevieed View Post
The number of times I've said "I'm so sorry, not all British tourists are like that"
There is a lovely German word that should make it's way into (British) English: Fremdschämen. The act of being embarassed by another person's actions. Culturally it is a lot closer to England than Germany.
Old Mar 22, 13, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Mickey V - good for you. I'll travel with you anywhere.
Sounds like I'm on a promise!!

I should have taken a photo, that would have been a good idea before the gin and slims kicked in!
Old Mar 22, 13, 8:10 am

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Bronze, Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
No it won't because the root cause of the problem is that there are not enough cleaners to properly patrol the lounge and keep everything in order. You don't see the same problems in some other airline lounges (although the US carriers are not a good example here).

Try the CX F Lounge to see how even at Heathrow a lounge can be well maintained and cleaned.

Yes people shouldn't leave a mess but are the lounges built on the self service canteen approach where all are expected to return their plates and glasses? Even in a Wetherspoons these are collected promptly.
I think putting a few litter bins around the lounge would help though.
Old Mar 22, 13, 8:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by MickV View Post
Sounds like I'm on a promise!!

I should have taken a photo, that would have been a good idea before the gin and slims kicked in!
Clean and likes Gin and Slims!!

You just became a Mucci..

Reason: I just decided

Don't forget, should you accept, that you put that in your signature and let Moomba know. xx
Old Mar 22, 13, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP
I would happily bin wrappings, crisp packets, newspapers and the like myself if there were facilities to do so (but I would prefer that some form of collection service is retained for crockery, it would be hideous if they moved to disposable plates and plastic cups).
Old Mar 22, 13, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by stevieed View Post
I end up doing it quite often in Florida. The number of times I've said "I'm so sorry, not all British tourists are like that"

I wouldn't clean up after myself in a lounge, but I certainly wouldn't leave it in a mess. I don't think it's that difficult to tidy a little.
Maybe we have a different sort of British tourist here in Israel vs. those that opt for Florida, but I find them extremely friendly and polite. Certainly better than the locals most of the time
Old Mar 22, 13, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
I am often amazed at how dirty AND lazy some people are in public places.

How hard is it to fold up newspapers and put them in one pile.

Ditto to put plates on top of each other and just generally collect glasses etc and put them next to each other (and helps make the lounge attendants life a little easier)

Just because you've paid a lot for your ticket does not absolve you from the common decencies. I'm not talking about people putting rubbish in a bin or offering to do the washing up but just to leave a place tidy and in a state they would like to find it in.

Was in a lounge once when a DYKWIA type complained loudly about the mess left by another pax 'how dare they leave the place a mess etc' yet felt it was acceptable for herself to leave a mess (another pax pulled her up on it and used the word 'hypocrite')
Old Mar 22, 13, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you think the lounge is bad, you should see my library at the end of the day. Eating is not permitted but there is rubbish everywhere despite the presence bins in every corner. Newspapers and periodicals on nearly every table. Pens, papers and the odd pair of pants.

People are lazy and seem to have forgotten how to behave in public whether it is the lounge or a library. I really don't understand why they don't respect public spaces a bit more.
Old Mar 22, 13, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MickV

I should have taken a photo
Pucci Galore suggested that to you?
Old Mar 22, 13, 6:44 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
It's part of the superiority complex that infests this forum.
I don't think it is. I'd feel like apologising too because I would feel bad generally that someone has to clean up the unreasonable mess someone else had made. It's not to say "I am sorry I made a mess" because it's not me that made a mess, but "I am sorry that you are having to clear up this much mess".
Old Mar 23, 13, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I don't think it is. I'd feel like apologising too because I would feel bad generally that someone has to clean up the unreasonable mess someone else had made. It's not to say "I am sorry I made a mess" because it's not me that made a mess, but "I am sorry that you are having to clear up this much mess".
I would apologise if I had left a mess myself but clearing up any mess is just the job of those employed to maintain the lounges. I don't feel the need to apologise to someone because they are doing a job I wouldn't want to do myself whilst I relax, drink and eat.

In my experience of BA's LHR lounges only the T3 lounges are kept tidy and clean. That said I did see some staff wielding a Hoover the other day in the CCR, that is probably the first time I had ever see someone attempt to vacuum up the inevitable mess that gets left from crumbs and even newspaper shedding.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Mar 23, 13 at 2:14 am
Old Mar 23, 13, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I really don't see how much someone has paid for their ticket has anything to do with manners and how to behave decently. That says a lot about a person if they really think that.

I can't stand people making a mess in the lounges simply because they know/expect someone to clear it up for them. Perhaps they did the same as a child and were allowed to get away with it.

I often think though that people are simply clueless. On my last visit to Galleries South one person was sprawled out over 6 chairs, papers everywhere, people were putting their feet (and shoes) on the tables. It was rather poor. People simply don't care or don't realise that what they are doing is not acceptable.

Do you think that the Queen throws papers all over the place for people to pick up? I think not.

Even if I had my own private butler, cleaner, chef, gardener and other assorted staff I still would not throw papers on the floor or all over the seats for people to pick up or create a mess for them to deal with. I have more respect for myself and for other people. That's really what it comes down to.