Puzzled by 1A and 1K Availability

Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Have had a good search and can't see this exact topic discussed elsewhere: apologies if I've missed the obvious - only my second post!

I'm flying F from LHR to JFK over Easter. Originally allocated 2K and then got bumped to 4K. MMB shows all seats allocated except 1A and 1K and it's allowing me to change to either of these seats. This doesn't seem right: my understanding is that they're held back for Golds until the last minute (well, a day or two before the flight).

Although very tempting to nab 1K (I love the forward view!), my instinct is to stay where I am. The flight as a whole is looking very full, and I don't want to get bumped altogether. Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited by sleeptalker; Mar 17, 2013 at 8:39 am Reason: Typo - 1B changed to 1K
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Welcome to the BA forum...

From my limited understanding is that the 1s are left for the last minute bookers and even if you get it, I can come and knock you out of the seat...I think so.

2 is a good choice as well...

maybe they keep bumping you because you talk in your sleep???
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by sleeptalker
Have had a good search and can't see this exact topic discussed elsewhere: apologies if I've missed the obvious - only my second post!

I'm flying F from LHR to JFK over Easter. Originally allocated 2K and then got bumped to 4K. MMB shows all seats allocated except 1A and 1B and it's allowing me to change to either of these seats. This doesn't seem right: my understanding is that they're held back for Golds until the last minute (well, a day or two before the flight).

Although very tempting to nab 1K (I love the forward view!), my instinct is to stay where I am. The flight as a whole is looking very full, and I don't want to get bumped altogether. Any thoughts or advice?
K, not B
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:38 am
Original Poster

You're right: typo - I meant 1K
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
1AK should be reserved for Golds until 72 hours before departure, when they open up for selection by any First passenger (if not already occupied by a Gold, of course).

If all other seats have been taken, however, then a non-Gold would be able to select 1AK before 72 hours before departure.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Hi Genuis,

Yes, that's also my understanding of how / when these seats are released. I'm therefore puzzled as to why they should be 'bookable' by a mere Bronze two weeks away from the date. An error on BA's system maybe?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by sleeptalker
Yes, that's also my understanding of how / when these seats are released. I'm therefore puzzled as to why they should be 'bookable' by a mere Bronze two weeks away from the date. An error on BA's system maybe?
When I was Silver I was able to reserve 1K more than 4 days before departure.

At the time I assumed it was a BA.com error, but definitely one of the nicer BA.com errors I've encountered
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Never really understood why people are so fascinated with 1A/K. The lack of privacy because the seats are so close to each other on the 747 and close to the galley on the 777 has always put me off. I prefer rows 2/3.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sschwenk
Never really understood why people are so fascinated with 1A/K. The lack of privacy because the seats are so close to each other on the 747 and close to the galley on the 777 has always put me off. I prefer rows 2/3.
Probably because you're right at the front and ahead of everyone else so are that bit better than them!

At least back in cattle class, you can be safe in the knowledge that if the plane crashes nose first, whichever "rich smug git " is up front, he/she'll probably be the first to go whilst you'll outlive them.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Ummm - see above: 'I love the forward view'. Yes, I'm big kid about flying and get over excited about such a great view!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by xenole
Probably because you're right at the front and ahead of everyone else so are that bit better than them!

At least back in cattle class, you can be safe in the knowledge that if the plane crashes nose first, whichever "rich smug git " is up front, he/she'll probably be the first to go whilst you'll outlive them.
Age old question: Is it better to go so fast that you don't even know what hit you or have a few more milliseconds of panic.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

And what would the neighbours think if they saw your body being pulled out of the Y section?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:32 am
uk1
Suspended

^ Totally agree.

On both the 747 and 777 it is an inferior seat either because of the less storage space, claustrophobic personal space and proximity to the wardrobe on the 747 and the closeness to the galley and curtain on the 777. I think some people believe that because it is held for higher status it "must" be better and I have sometimes wondered whether some want it simply because it is held for superieors ......

2k and 3k on both. ^

("she" is so sad about these two seats ..... I've just pushed a flight forward by a day to give "her" her favourite seat)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Never really understood why people are so fascinated with 1A/K. The lack of privacy because the seats are so close to each other on the 747
your statement is true when flying alone but when flying as a couple, the proximity of 1A and 1K makes for a nice, cozy environment except for the wardrobe.

can anyone tell me if Golds can actually displace non-golds when selecting seats? we're booked in F this summer and currently have 2AK reserved but i can see on expert flyer that 1AK are not assigned yet. If 1AK open up to me before OLCI and i choose them, can a late-comer gold push us out in which case we might be relegated to row 4 or 5?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

I find there's more storage space on the 747. The personal wardrobe thing is much more spacious and easier to use and you have the main wardrobe right next to you for large items.
Unless you are unlucky the wardrobe only really gets used at the beginning and end of the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.