Search

BA Check-In LAX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gishua
Hello,

Flying from Phoenix to LAX on American and arriving to terminal 6.

Same day on a separate ticket, flying from LAX to LHR on BA.

Is there any way to check my luggage all the way through to London in Phoenix?

You would be better off askign this question on the AA board as it would be AA staff you would be dealing with when you check-in at Phoenix.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Hello,

Flying from Phoenix to LAX on American and arriving to terminal 6.

Same day on a separate ticket, flying from LAX to LHR on BA.

Is there any way to check my luggage all the way through to London in Phoenix?

If no, can I reclaim my luggage in terminal 6, re-check in in terminal 6 and then check it back in at terminal 6, go through security and over to TBIT via the connector?

Not a big deal if not, I have plenty of time just wondering.
First, you will most likely arrive in either Terminal 4 or Terminal 5. Operations have undergone a massive shift in the past few months at LAX with Delta moving over to T2 and T3. AA is now in T4 and T5. (I live near LAX.)

I do not believe that AA will check your bags to London on a separate PNR. You will have to collect your bags when you arrive in LAX and then re-check them with BA. There are no BA counters in T4 or T5, so yes you will have to schlepp them over to TBIT.

You will have to go landside with your luggage from T4/5 to TBIT, check in at a BA desk, then go through TBIT TSA security.

Getting from T4/5 to TBIT you have two choices. Walk or the shuttle.

The distance from T4 to TBIT is very short. Walking will be faster than the shuttle. Personally, I would just walk even from T5.

The shuttle follows airport traffic, which is counter-clockwise. The walking path from T4/5 to TBIT is clockwise, without all the stops at T6,1,2, 3.

If you have a lot of heavy luggage or if you are mobility challenged, then the shuttle might be your best choice. Go outside the baggage claim area to the outer islands and look for the blue "LAX Shuttle" sign and stand there to wait.

Otherwise, just follow the sidewalk towards TBIT and walk.

Once you are in TBIT and have checked in with the BA counter, you have two choices for TSA. You can go through the main checkpoint (just follow the crowds) or go through TSA in the arrivals level at the T4-TBIT connector.

My suggestion is to first check out the line wait at the main checkpoint. If that looks OK, just stay there. If the line is really long, then you might want to try your luck at the arrivals level TSA checkpoint in the connector. From the departures level (check in desks), go down the elevator at the end of the building nearest T4, and get out at the arrivals level. Go down a hallway towards T4 and look for the TSA checkpoint. It is located there for international arriving passengers and often has a shorter line. Once through TSA, go back up into the connector and into TBIT to wait for your flight.

How much time do you have in LAX? If you have a lot of time and want to do a little sightseeing, I can offer you suggestions.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
First, you will most likely arrive in either Terminal 4 or Terminal 5. Operations have undergone a massive shift in the past few months at LAX with Delta moving over to T2 and T3. AA is now in T4 and T5. (I live near LAX.)

I do not believe that AA will check your bags to London on a separate PNR. You will have to collect your bags when you arrive in LAX and then re-check them with BA. There are no BA counters in T4 or T5, so yes you will have to schlepp them over to TBIT.

You will have to go landside with your luggage from T4/5 to TBIT, check in at a BA desk, then go through TBIT TSA security.

Getting from T4/5 to TBIT you have two choices. Walk or the shuttle.

The distance from T4 to TBIT is very short. Walking will be faster than the shuttle. Personally, I would just walk even from T5.

The shuttle follows airport traffic, which is counter-clockwise. The walking path from T4/5 to TBIT is clockwise, without all the stops at T6,1,2, 3.

If you have a lot of heavy luggage or if you are mobility challenged, then the shuttle might be your best choice. Go outside the baggage claim area to the outer islands and look for the blue "LAX Shuttle" sign and stand there to wait.

Otherwise, just follow the sidewalk towards TBIT and walk.

Once you are in TBIT and have checked in with the BA counter, you have two choices for TSA. You can go through the main checkpoint (just follow the crowds) or go through TSA in the arrivals level at the T4-TBIT connector.

My suggestion is to first check out the line wait at the main checkpoint. If that looks OK, just stay there. If the line is really long, then you might want to try your luck at the arrivals level TSA checkpoint in the connector. From the departures level (check in desks), go down the elevator at the end of the building nearest T4, and get out at the arrivals level. Go down a hallway towards T4 and look for the TSA checkpoint. It is located there for international arriving passengers and often has a shorter line. Once through TSA, go back up into the connector and into TBIT to wait for your flight.

How much time do you have in LAX? If you have a lot of time and want to do a little sightseeing, I can offer you suggestions.

Thank you for all the information. That is what I thought that we were going to have to do. We do not have a ton of time, about 4 hours from landing to departure. Is there a pay for lounge in TBIT?

Thank you again for all the valuable information.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:31 am

Thank you for all the information. That is what I thought that we were going to have to do. We do not have a ton of time, about 4 hours from landing to departure. Is there a pay for lounge in TBIT?
I do not believe there is a pay-for-access lounge in TBIT. There was one some years back, but I have heard it went kaput during the extensive renovations at TBIT. (I could be wrong. I am not really a lounge lizard.)

However... once you check in your luggage at the BA check in desk and pass through TSA and are airside, you can go through the connector back to T4 where the Admirals Club sells day passes for $59.

Be aware, though, that at this point in time (Sept 2017) the T4 AC is closed for renovations. Day passes have not been sold at that club since renovation started, by AA policy. There is an AC in T5, accessible through the T4-T5 tunnel, but I doubt if they will sell a day pass either, to cut down on crowding.

The T4 AC is supposed to be open sometime in November, however, this is only the latest of a rolling series of planned openings. Originally, it was supposed to be all done by "Spring 2017". (sarcasm) Ha! (/sarcasm)

If you are flying in late November, there is a chance the T4 AC might be open by then. (See sarcasm comments above.) My suggestion to you is to check the AA website before you leave to see if it's open and if day passes are, once again, available for purchase on site.

If you are flying in the next month or two, personally, I would forget about getting a lounge unless you have access to a lounge in TBIT due to your elite status or class of travel. The newly renovated TBIT has plenty of interesting shops and restaurants. With 4 hours between landing, getting your bags, schlepping to TBIT, checking in and passing though TSA, I don't really think you'll have a lot of time to go out looking for, and enjoying, a lounge.

Just find a nice spot in the main departure area and wait there. LAX has made a serious effort to include local specialty restaurants with good quality food.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes I second that, TBIT is one of my favourite terminals! Amazing food options (umami burger is to die for and won’t cost you more than 20 usd) and try not to fall asleep on those bed-chairs they have looking at the planes, especially if you are on the late evening BA service!
An interesting factoid: The roof was designed to remind the onlooker of ocean waves.

Surfin' USA!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:57 pm

Yes I second that, TBIT is one of my favourite terminals! Amazing food options (umami burger is to die for and won’t cost you more than 20 usd) and try not to fall asleep on those bed-chairs they have looking at the planes, especially if you are on the late evening BA service!
This sounds perfect and yes we are the late evening BA departure. Where are the bed chairs located?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I do not believe there is a pay-for-access lounge in TBIT. There was one some years back, but I have heard it went kaput during the extensive renovations at TBIT. (I could be wrong. I am not really a lounge lizard.)

However... once you check in your luggage at the BA check in desk and pass through TSA and are airside, you can go through the connector back to T4 where the Admirals Club sells day passes for $59.

Be aware, though, that at this point in time (Sept 2017) the T4 AC is closed for renovations. Day passes have not been sold at that club since renovation started, by AA policy. There is an AC in T5, accessible through the T4-T5 tunnel, but I doubt if they will sell a day pass either, to cut down on crowding.

The T4 AC is supposed to be open sometime in November, however, this is only the latest of a rolling series of planned openings. Originally, it was supposed to be all done by "Spring 2017". (sarcasm) Ha! (/sarcasm)

If you are flying in late November, there is a chance the T4 AC might be open by then. (See sarcasm comments above.) My suggestion to you is to check the AA website before you leave to see if it's open and if day passes are, once again, available for purchase on site.

If you are flying in the next month or two, personally, I would forget about getting a lounge unless you have access to a lounge in TBIT due to your elite status or class of travel. The newly renovated TBIT has plenty of interesting shops and restaurants. With 4 hours between landing, getting your bags, schlepping to TBIT, checking in and passing though TSA, I don't really think you'll have a lot of time to go out looking for, and enjoying, a lounge.

Just find a nice spot in the main departure area and wait there. LAX has made a serious effort to include local specialty restaurants with good quality food.

Thank you again for the plethora of information we are leaving Oct 13 so the club wont be open in the connecting terminals. As you stated I think we will just enjoy the TBIT terminal.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:25 pm

deleted

Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:39 pm

They should be free as the terminal empties out as the late BA flight must be one of the last planes out of that terminal for the day.
More than 20 flights departing later...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:46 pm

deleted

Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:50 pm

I am booked on the late evening departure flight BA268 in a few days. Is it still possible to drop off baggage at noon, when the counters open for BA282 or BA280? That would help me a lot on that day.
Moleish likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mattmue9
I am booked on the late evening departure flight BA268 in a few days. Is it still possible to drop off baggage at noon, when the counters open for BA282 or BA280? That would help me a lot on that day.
Hi You should be able to iirc. I have done it but it has been a few years. I think more recent posters have had success also but not 100% sure

Regards

​​​​​​​Tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.