Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

bmi credit cards : enhancements from Mar 2013: inc more points and 10% off BA flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dddc
Bit of a quick fix for a wiki until someone has the time to fill it in, but here's a good place to look for an update on the 7 cards in existence:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/03...-rate-changes/
Print Wikipost

bmi credit cards : enhancements from Mar 2013: inc more points and 10% off BA flights

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Still 2.5 on the plus card, which is now called the "Diamond Club plus American Express Card from MBNA" and still 2 on the old standard MC
It's nice to see bmi treating us so well from beyond the grave. 2.5 miles on my plus amex, and 1.25 miles on my Visa
Old May 14, 2013, 6:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
This table has gone up on the diamondclub.org website and summarises all the credit cards and earning rates. Note the "Diamond Club" branding instead of bmi.

Note also the columns which read :

Double Miles on BA flight purchases*

and

10% Discount on BA flight purchases**

In Summary :

10% Discount Terms & Conditions

1.This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is resident in the UK and a member of Diamond Club and a holder of a bmi plus American Express® Card from MBNA, a bmi plus Credit Card Account or a bmi MasterCard with annual fee (‘Cards’). By taking part in this promotion Eligible Participants confirm that they accept the terms and conditions set out below.
2.Offer allows Eligible Participants to save 10% on Qualifying Flights. To make a booking Eligible Participants must sign- in to their Diamond Club account online at diamondclub.org and click on the unique link provided, linking through to ba.com.
3.Qualifying Flights means: a. A one-way or return point-to-point flight from the UK operated by British Airways (including BA Cityflyer Limited, Comair Pty Limited and Sun-Air of Scandanavia A/S), in any cabin; or
b. A connecting flight where you have transferred from and are transferring to a flight operated by British Airways (including BA Cityflyer Limited, Comair Pty Limited and Sun-Air of Scandanavia A/S) where your departure country is the UK, in any cabin.
4.Return flights must originate and terminate in the UK. Point-to-point flights are those with the same BA flight number for the whole outbound or inbound journey. Flights on BA franchises other than those listed above, codeshare and alliance airlines and any journey where the booking is made up of two or more carriers are not eligible for the promotion. The operating airline is stated on the choose your flights page on ba.com, in the column labelled ‘Flight Operator’.
5.Payment for flights must be made using a one of the Cards to benefit from this promotion.
6.The holder of one of the Cards must travel on any booking made.
7.Discount not valid for flights on code share or franchise carriers sold under the British Airways Code (with the exception of British Airways flights operated by BA Cityflyer Limited, Comair Pty Limited and Sun-Air of Scandanavia A/S).
8.Discount valid for flight purchase only and excludes taxes, fees and carrier charges.
9.British Airways standard credit card booking fees apply.
10.British Airways standard booking terms and conditions including amendment and cancellation charges apply. All travel is subject to availability.
11.This promotion is non transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer.
12.Visit www.ba.com for full terms and conditions of fare rules.

The " * " and " ** " annotations in the column headers, are, as yet, undefined.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 14, 2013 at 6:29 am
Old May 14, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
How do I know whether I have a MasterCard or a MasterCard Classic?

I've not used the MasterCard for ages, but when I last did I got 1 mile per £1.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
The AMEX card say "from MBNA" but all of these cards are from MBNA, right?

The Diamond Club Classic MasterCard looks interesting. I currently have a bmi AMEX. Is it possible to add a MasterCard for existing cardholders or am I too late?
Old May 14, 2013, 6:46 am

This appears now when you're logged on to your dc account, even if you don't have one of the cards listed as giving 10% off BA :

Old May 14, 2013, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by louie-m
How do I know whether I have a MasterCard or a MasterCard Classic?
Good question.

On the MBNA website, my fee-free plat MC is now shown as Diamond Club MasterCard Platinum Mastercard, a description that does not appear in the Diamond Club card list above. I wonder how many DC miles I will be awarded now? (Was 1,5, became 2, hope it won't become 1.25.)

Rhetorical question, I suppose. I guess there's no way now of obtaining another Diamond Club credit card, e.g. AmEx, to benefit from the enhancements?
Old May 14, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Roger
Good question.

On the MBNA website, my fee-free plat MC is now shown as Diamond Club MasterCard Platinum Mastercard, a description that does not appear in the Diamond Club card list above. I wonder how many DC miles I will be awarded now? (Was 1,5, became 2, hope it won't become 1.25.)

Rhetorical question, I suppose. I guess there's no way now of obtaining another Diamond Club credit card, e.g. AmEx, to benefit from the enhancements?
It could be that they distinguish between the platinum and non-plat variants of the fee-free Mastercard. I have the former and my wife the latter. Until now, we've both received 1.5 and - in the last couple of months - 2 miles. If my hunch proves to be correct, that would actually mean a devaluation, from 1.5 to 1.25, for people holding the fee-free non-platinum (blue?) mastercard. I hope that's not the case.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:12 am
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
Wonder how will the 10% discount work, direct discount or like a cashback. Don't have a plus card, but the free version.

Note that the T&C states taxes etc are excluded so it will only be 10% on the base fare.

Still happy with 4x miles, now can get 4x on ba.com purchases as opposed to the 2x on my Amex Gold.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Unless I've missed it up to now, as of this week the MBNA site now shows the diamond club logo and the name of your card at the top right when logging on to your account. Useful if you aren't sure which card you have now they have renamed them all.

Great timing these changes - I've just triggered my 241 on my BA Amex and have some more flights to book so I'd be mad not to use my Diamond Club card for them with the 4x bonus on BA.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mfhstid
It could be that they distinguish between the platinum and non-plat variants of the fee-free Mastercard. I have the former and my wife the latter. Until now, we've both received 1.5 and - in the last couple of months - 2 miles. If my hunch proves to be correct, that would actually mean a devaluation, from 1.5 to 1.25, for people holding the fee-free non-platinum (blue?) mastercard. I hope that's not the case.
so, a datapoint : my silver-coloured fee-free bmi platinum mastercard has become the Diamond Club Platinum Mastercard online, and I'm getting 2 miles per £. Presume this is the Diamond Club Classic MasterCard referred to in the table.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, AMEX BA PP, AMEX Platinum
I've got the fee-free MasterCard (blue in colour) and was always getting 1.5 miles per £. Since March, it has been 2 miles per £. Same with my wife. Both cards are now described as Diamond Club MasterCard Standard MasterCard.

EDIT: Called MBNA and the agent seemed proficient and knew about the changes in mileage accrual. Advised me that I am on the accrual rate listed as the Diamond Club Classic Mastercard - so now 2 miles per £, up from 1.5. This is despite my account being called a Diamond Club MasterCard Standard which isn't listed on the table! He mentioned that the card which is showing as a 1.25 per £ used to be the Mastercard that gave 1 mile per £ but I never heard of that one so unsure to be honest.

Last edited by krich; May 14, 2013 at 9:24 am Reason: New info
Old May 14, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Unbelievable result!
Old May 14, 2013, 9:37 am

That's pretty good for ongoing general purchases, just a shame that I rarely fly BA!
Old May 14, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
FWIW, I got the free Amex/Visa combination whenever it was that there was a good introductory bonus on. This has now become the "Diamond Club Credit Card Account", according to the MBNA website.

Thus, on the Amex, 2 Avios per £1 - with 4 Avios per £1 on spend with BA.

Thanks, Oxon Flyer, for posting the news and the chart.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:50 am

I have the following :

The fee free BMI Amex with linked Visa now known as Diamond Club Credit Card

The fee free BMI Blue MasterCard now known as Diamond Club Standard MasterCard

The fee free BMI Platinum MasterCard now known as Diamond Club Platinum MasterCard

I only got one text advising me my benefits on the platinum card were changing and miles earned were increasing which makes sense if the Platinum is what they refer to as Classic.

If the Blue becomes simply the Diamond Club MasterCard in the table then this would be a reduction to 1.25miles per £ and they would have no reason to send me a message about "enhancements" to this card.

Will have to wait for the actual letters I suppose to confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.