Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Connection - some advice please for a newbie through LHR!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can answer a question for me for all of you who are familiar with connections through LHR (and specifically T5).

I am flying Toronto - London - Rome on 27NOV/28NOV. My itinerary looks like this:

27NOV YYZ-LHR D1830 BA0092 A0625+
28NOV LHR-FCO D0730 BA0548 A1055

Having never transited through LHR before what will be the procedure when we arrive off BA0092? Immigration I presume, but customs? I assume the BA staff in YYZ will give me my LHR-FCO boarding pass. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks to everyone who's in the know!
Jason (JasYHZ)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Hello!

Well... Whilst your connection is within the minimum connection time, you certainly have not let yourself much slack in there... 1 hour 5 minutes could be pushing it. At that time of morning, Heathrow can be busy with Long Haul arrivals, and flight connections can be busy too.

The most likely scenario is that your Long Haul flight will arrive at either the B or C satellite building, and you will have to get the short underground train to the main A building. However, if this is the case, before you DO get on the train, quickly check the Flight Connections screens by the lifts and escalators, in case the slim possibility of your Rome flight departing from a B or C building departure gate, where you can go through the flight connections process in that satellite building.

When you arrive in the A building, you do not need to go through Immigration, nor do you need to go through Customs. You do, however, need to pass through security again. This will then place you back into the departures area and you locate the departure gate for your FCO flight on the departure board and go straight to the gate.

Your customs and immigration will be performed in Rome, as you are not physically entering the UK, so no need for us to do it here. Italian immigration forms are NOT available onboard the aircraft to Rome, so you will need to get it once you enter the immigration hall in FCO, if you require one of course.

Just do keep in mind, as mentioned, you have booked a very short connection, so just be prepared in the back of your mind for a missed-connection, and don't get too freaked out if it does happen. We have several flights a day to Rome, and you will be taken care of and re-booked if needed, just play it by ear.... AND DON'T STOP AT THE SHOP!!!!

Safe trip!

BBB
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Awesome help BBB - thanks so much! Not to worried if we misconnect; all part of traveling. As long as my bag eventually makes it to FCO by the 1st I'll be fine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.