Wiki Posts
Search

AA upgrade List. How to get on it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
AA upgrade List. How to get on it?

I am booked on a Dallas>Detroit (return) trip next weekend and have been reading about an 'upgrade' list which appears to be on dislay at the gate (I presume??).

How does one get on this list? I am BAEC Gold, which I think is OW Emerald.

Through advice on FT I have found my AA reservation number and booked the 'preferred' seats at the front of the Y cabin via the AA website. All very easy infact.

Regards,

Lee
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
there will be many much more familiar with it (otherwise, try the AAdvantage forum) but it's essentially for those who have requested upgrades and are "paying" for them with e.g. e-vouchers, miles, etc etc.

I.e. as a "mere" BA Gold / OW status holder, you won't get on the list and won't be upgraded.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by chris1979
there will be many much more familiar with it (otherwise, try the AAdvantage forum) but it's essentially for those who have requested upgrades and are "paying" for them with e.g. e-vouchers, miles, etc etc.

I.e. as a "mere" BA Gold / OW status holder, you won't get on the list and won't be upgraded.
That's right - the AA upgrade list is only for AA elites and those wishing to upgrade using AA miles. OW status has no bearing. The list keeps track of the priority in which upgrades will be granted (by status, tariff class, and time of request)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'll take my seat then.

Thank you for responding.^
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:19 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
That's right - the AA upgrade list is only for AA elites and those wishing to upgrade using AA miles. OW status has no bearing. The list keeps track of the priority in which upgrades will be granted (by status, tariff class, and time of request)
Spot on.

The BA Gold is very good though for selecting "Main Cabin Extra" or "Prefered Seating" on aa.com however.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
This seems to be a rather hit and miss event. I routinely get put on the upgrade list but am ranked below AA status and voucher-holders. I do still get one every now and then, especially (weirdly) when on an Avios ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Lee_Again
I'll take my seat then.

Thank you for responding.^
If you checkin at a Self Service machine, you might get offered an upgrade depending upon how busy the flight on the day is. It is about $25 per 500 miles I think. It is on the same screen which usually asks if you want to buy a one day pass to the Admirals club (always amuses me that the system doesn't recognise the Emerald status and that you get access anyway).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by frb98mf
This seems to be a rather hit and miss event. I routinely get put on the upgrade list but am ranked below AA status and voucher-holders. I do still get one every now and then, especially (weirdly) when on an Avios ticket.
I haven't figured out the process. As a CX Diamond I go onto the list automatically and I am now almost 100% on upgrades.

It was explained to me that the AA system can't tell the difference between AA EXP and CX Diamond so they are processed the same. The same should go for top tier BA
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Originally Posted by sdix
It was explained to me that the AA system can't tell the difference between AA EXP and CX Diamond so they are processed the same. The same should go for top tier BA
I don't think that's correct, the system does knowAA EXP comes above OW Emerald.

I seem to appear (low) on the list and my success rate of getting F has been 50/50 I'd say.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have had those gate upgrades as a BAEC Gold. Essentially if you are not an AA frequent flyer you have to hope that the system picks you up and that you get lucky. I wouldn't generally hold my breath though. I have a track record of about 5% upgrades.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I have had those gate upgrades as a BAEC Gold. Essentially if you are not an AA frequent flyer you have to hope that the system picks you up and that you get lucky. I wouldn't generally hold my breath though. I have a track record of about 5% upgrades.
I didn't think you flew anything other than F?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyclub
I didn't think you flew anything other than F?
I do J when forced to fly 3 class Transcons
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
That's right - the AA upgrade list is only for AA elites and those wishing to upgrade using AA miles.
If you are on a full fare, Y or B, a non-AA elite can be on the upgrade list by using stickers.

Last edited by will2288; Mar 13, 2013 at 8:56 pm
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others
Kiosk upgrades can be useful (and cheap). However, one warning: they do not accrue the additional miles/tier points for the next cabin when travelling on BAEC cards.

When on a recent trip to the US, we upgraded my OH from Economy to Business on a 2-class short flight so he would reach silver. Alas, economy miles and TPs posted and he had to wait for another BA flight. Much correspondance ensued with BAEC but to no avail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.