Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Website showing when it will be light during a flight

Website showing when it will be light during a flight

Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by sunflight
Hey everyone

Just released an update to www.sunflight.net

Mobile updates:
- Improved calendar for mobile (uses native date input for iPhone, Android)
- Improved layout for mobile (moved the slider underneath the map, so you can animate the map without moving your hand over the map)

(Moderator - is there anywhere this thread could be moved that is more appropriate for posting updates/feedback? I have this thread posted in my FAQ to encourage users to post feedback to)

Cheers,
Ian - SunFlight.net
Ian, you need to be a bit careful here about using FlyerTalk to promote your site. This is not permitted according to the FT forum guidelines.

Many users (including me) are fans of your site but you should probably avoid posting unless it's to answer specific questions, and then you should steer clear of anything that could be considered promotional.

This is friendly advice from a sunflight fan, offered in the hope that it will help you avoid running into mod problems (I haven't pressed the red triangle).

Best wishes.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
site broken?

Anyone else having problems with sunflight.net recently?

I've been getting constant 'invalid flight' errors for weeks now.

Does anyone know of any other apps or websites that do the same job?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
I emailed the site owner to ask recently - he said he had to take it down as it was costing too much to run and he wasn't getting enough donations.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:06 am

Hi everyone

I had some spare time during a stopover in Dubai and I've fixed up Sunflight.net and it's working again.

I was originally using the OAG data feeds (so you could enter a flight number and get the route) but this was too expensive to maintain. I've now modified Sunflight so you must enter the origin and destination airports, date, and flight duration.

I've also made Sunflight open-source, you can follow the links from the app to the Github source code. If you want to improve Sunflight feel free as long as you can share the improvements with the community.

It's been a fun project but I'm much too busy these days with other things, so I look forward to seeing if someone want's to pick up the project. If you do, please email me over at ian at travelmassive.com

Cheers,
Ian
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
I had some spare time during a stopover in Dubai and I've fixed up Sunflight.net and it's working again.
Thanks for doing this & for letting us know. I had only just discovered your site when it stopped working, and it's good to know it's back. Thanks also for opening up the code. I can't promise that I'll have time to do anything with it but someone else may well do.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
It's been a fun project but I'm much too busy these days with other things, so I look forward to seeing if someone want's to pick up the project. If you do, please email me over at ian at travelmassive.com
Cheers,
Ian
The site seems to be down; very unfortunate. Add me to the list of those who appreciated it and miss it.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:23 pm

Actually on the Airshow Map(depending on how its setup) it will show you where its sunlight in the world. Now I was wondering could they add something like"Sunlight at Present Position" or Hours until Sunlight and what city you will be flying over when sunlight hits? And the opposite "Hours until Dusk" and what city you will be flying over.

I am sure its very easy to calculate it in the Flight Information System.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
The REALLY nice part of the website was that it would display, at any time prior to flight, an easy to understand time-lapse map of the flight route along with the position of the sun for the entire flight. For those of us who prefer window seats and prefer to be facing or facing away from the sun it was invaluable for flights headed south; for east/west flights it’s usually easy to determine the plane’s position relative to the sun. I’m unaware of any similar website.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:52 pm

Im doing LHR to SIN and its saying 8 hours whereas the flight is 13 hrs
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by dolfinco
Im doing LHR to SIN and its saying 8 hours whereas the flight is 13 hrs
Ignore me.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
The site seems to be down; very unfortunate. Add me to the list of those who appreciated it and miss it.
The site was working for me this evening, I think it might have been a temporary glitch.

What really surprises me is that no one has turned this idea into a smartphone app, I would pay for it!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by abfab
The site was working for me this evening, I think it might have been a temporary glitch.
Excellent, thank you!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:59 am

If one has some graph paper, or just a ruler, sharp pencil, the moving map and an almanac, you can work it out yourself by creating your very own graph. There was a website with the calculation for the gradient of the sunrise Y axis, but I can't find it again via the powers of Google. If I come across it I will post it.
The satisfaction of getting it right is often better than the IFE content in any case.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:38 pm

Web version not workimg

Hi everyone

Thanks for discovering my website, sunflight.net. I'm really delighted to read positive feedback about it.

If you have any feature requests or feedback about how it could be improved then please send me an email to ian(at)getflight(dot)com(dot)au. (hope that doesn't break forum rules for providing email..)

Thanks again and I look forward to feedback!

Cheers,
Ian
twitter.com/aussie_ian
Hello Ian
Need your kind help
When I try to access your web page sunflight.net, the page does not launch and it keeps blank
Both on my Pc and my iPad and for about a month now
Used to work fine and used frequently
Bought the sunflight app on the iPad store but it does not have the handy and helpful slide bar and not so user friendly as your web site version
Any alternate site or ideas please?
Thanks a lot and congratulations
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Aduhart
Hello Ian
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk, Aduhart and indeed to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, and though I can't help with your question, I do hope we can see plenty more of you here. It may be slightly constrained if you are new to FT, but you can also send a private message to Ian which may get his attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.