Programs: BAEC Gold
VS has a bar so BA has an F disco
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
The only thing missing is John Travolta
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by gw76
Im not sure that is a given, particularly with faulty bulbs. There is no recognised consistent frequency trigger unless its outwith human visual receptors, as its variable from patient to patient.
Photosensitive epilepsy is rare - about 1 person in 4,000, many of whom are controlled on medication, and 1 in 4 of whom will lose their photosensitivity in their 20s. Those with poor control will have been advised against flying.

The OP's video shows 25 flashes in 21 seconds, i.e. 1.2Hz, which as you can see from the figure below is a range where photosensitivity is virtually unheard of.

People whose epilepsy is sensitive to 1Hz flashes
  • are likely to be so unwell that they are in institutional care
  • are likely to have their epilepsy triggered by T5 transit system passing the tunnel lights - and other common every day phenomena
  • shouldn't be flying long-haul because the sleep deprivation is much worse for their poorly-controlled epilepsy

Sooo... I don't think it's a terribly serious concern.

[Source: Harding & Harding 2011. Applied Ergonomics 41:504-508, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2008.08.005].

And to those asserting that this is the worst thing that's ever happened in an aircraft and implying that £4.5k refunds should be given immediately:
  1. If it happens to you, inform the crew; if they can do something about it, they will.
  2. If they can't, complain to BA afterwards and you will be appropriately compensated.
  3. Put on the padded eye-shield that comes in your amenity kit.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:47 pm

Hasnt taken long for them to brake has it............
Old Mar 10, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Imagine if the whole cabin was playing up, and every window seat was doing that. Now that would be a sight to see.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by YClass
I once had the little lamp permanently on. Crew could do nothing about it and didn't really care. Annoying on an overnight flight with an otherwise dark cabin. These things should be fixed, but crew aren't engineers so you can't expect them to know what to do!
Was there no flight engineer onboard - or what about the first officer? Once on a longhaul flight ex-LHR (744) a 3 ringer came down from the flight deck with tools to fix my seat. Similar thing happened once on CX in F.

In your case though, if the crew just didn't bother to try to resolve the problem...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
They wrapped a napkin around it to try and dim the light! 12hrs from CPT. Jammed flight as prior one cancelled.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
Imagine if the whole cabin was playing up, and every window seat was doing that. Now that would be a sight to see.
If this happened with the blinds up, and was visible from the ground, that would be cool.

Close Encounter, anyone?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by LHR-HUB
If this happened with the blinds up, and was visible from the ground, that would be cool.

Close Encounter, anyone?
They would have to name the aeroplane appropriately, perhaps "Spirit of Soho"

Are we sure the crew aren't doing this deliberately; that there isn't in fact a 'disco' button in the galley so they can all have a laugh?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Originally Posted by Action Man
They would have to name the aeroplane appropriately, perhaps "Spirit of Soho"
Alas, BA planes no longer have names. Could go for a reg change, though. G-ROOVY

Originally Posted by Action Man
Are we sure the crew aren't doing this deliberately; that there isn't in fact a 'disco' button in the galley so they can all have a laugh?
Ah, you mean the control panel got re-assigned when the SH 767s were refurbished? I guess the "disco control panel" was left to one side at Cardiff when they removed it, and an engineer decided it would be a good idea to put it in F on a 744.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:41 am

If this happened to me on a very long night flight I'd probably be livid. But seriously, I can't stop laughing right now... The fact that they specifically flogged the mood lighting as a relaxing feature of NF... And instead of helping passengers relax, it's vexing them... I'm also curious now about compensation and/or if an explanation was given?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
I have had the disco lights on a 747 in 1K funny at first but not after several hours.Also had the none dimming lamp on a couple of flights.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by adam1uk
How many compensatory Avios did this earn?
None! None sought and none awarded, I just wanted them to fix it.
Originally Posted by jaguarpig
I have had the disco lights on a 747 in 1K funny at first but not after several hours.Also had the none dimming lamp on a couple of flights.
Probably the same aircraft then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.