Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD, SPG Platinum
BA Cabin Crew

I don't know if this was discussed before but I would like to know if it is just me or if you guys are seeing this

The Cabin Crew in the CW cabin used to be much more friendlier and, well, better. Is it just me or did the quality of service deteriorate?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:40 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I'm just as happy today with WW cabin crew operated routes, as I was when I started flying BA as a young teen almost two decades ago.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA Cabin Crew

My recent trips (all with WW crew) have been good. No issues to report.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I've only flown CW twice this last year (December 2012 to and from JFK) the outbound crew were good, the inbound crew were the worst I've ever encountered on BA long-haul. Lazy, disinterested, unhelpful, miserable.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
I've had 2 CW and one F trip recently and the crews have been outstanding!

JAT
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:51 am

Varies between poor to mediocre with the very odd exception of good interspersed with a tad of "let's make it up as we go along" and reverse dykwia. Time to use CX if it's a viable option for you.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Usually good. Sometimes really fantastic.

But it's the 'usually' which is disappointing, as the service is inconsistent and can fall below standard. This is not very common but particularly seems to happen if the senior CC is grudging or doesn't seem to care much.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Are you basing this on one flight or several. ? A "one off" can happen to anyone, so I am keen to know if you've had more than one bad experience. Is it a specific route ?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:12 am
Original Poster

No I am basing this on past experience. I have flown BA for more than 15 years but recently their Business class (club world) staff, I would say past 1-2 years, have fallen below the standard I was used to
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I've only flown CW twice this last year (December 2012 to and from JFK) the outbound crew were good, the inbound crew were the worst I've ever encountered on BA long-haul. Lazy, disinterested, unhelpful, miserable.
Yeah I have been getting that a lot recently. I flew CW about 5 times in the last 6 months and it hasn't been the BA I am used to
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by hmansouri
No I am basing this on past experience. I have flown BA for more than 15 years but recently their Business class (club world) staff, I would say past 1-2 years, have fallen below the standard I was used to
What routes was this on?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
The thing about this sort of thread (yes, it has been discussed before) is that everyone generalises on the basis of personal experience. Basically it's all anecdotal.

A lot of people report inconsistent service on BA. I would agree with that, certainly as far as attitudes are concerned. My impression is that when you fly BA the crews' personality comes across more than on some carriers. I don't know if this is intentional or not. I'd expected a company like BA would try to insist that front-line staff represent the brand as consistently as possible. But maybe they don't discourage a more personal approach. Or maybe there is a culture of individualism that exists in spite of management efforts to standardise service levels. Whatever, I do find BA crews are less robotic than, say, most Asian carriers. This has upsides (you feel you are dealing with real people) and downsides (I prefer that staff in service industries don't make it obvious when they are feeling tired, indifferent or pi$$ed off). So you can get incredibly offhand treatment or really warm and obliging service, sometimes within a single crew.

Then again, customers have moods too. If you board a plane with a good mood and a pleasant manner you're more likely to get good service than when you're giving off negative vibes.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
I agree that threads like this aren't much use. I'm not even sure we can even usefully conclude that BA is unusually inconsistent. FT inevitably attracts reports of very poor and very good service, however rare they both may be. They lie at the extremes of a bell curve and it's likely the vast majority of service is consistently somewhere between adequate and good. BA monitors these things pretty closely and balances the cost of additional training against its reputation - which it assesses far beyond the narrow view we see on FT.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:30 am

The Difference I have observed is the almost total removal of any proactive service.

The cc are always polite and smiling etc when I ask for something or during service, it's just that between those times they disappear unless I press the call bell.

Take virgin as an example, yes they call me mate or by my first name, but they do so every hour throughout the flight when coming to see if I need or want anything.

This is the sole part of the BA experience that disappoints, but not to an extent that I'm in huff or anything, just could be better.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by poggs
Take virgin as an example, yes they call me mate or by my first name, but they do so every hour throughout the flight when coming to see if I need or want anything.
That could become annoying, couldn't it? Not sure if it's a strength or weakness, mate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.