Search

The Purser is dead!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The Purser is dead!!!!

I am not sure if it has been posted before but the name Purser will be disappearing from worldwide cabin crew’s flights at LHR.
Our current manager believes that the name is “stale and needs a refresh”.
She believes that the customer doesn’t always know what a “Purser” is and the term isn’t common within the hospitality industry.
The new name will be Customer Service Lead (CSL)
Now bearing in mind that our advertisements last year focussed on our “Heritage” it does seem rather strange and pointless, also our colleagues on Eurofleet will still have Pursers, I am not sure about LGW flights.
So what are your thoughts, do you think the service will improve with the name change, do you think like a lot of cabin crew that the name change is linked to a possible removal of the role all together.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Hi CIHY- I agree with BA here, Purser is a name from an earlier era..steamships maybe??? But Customer Service Lead??? ...??? Who makes these titles up, it's evenmore mind boggling than purser IMHO !!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
CSL is awfully close to CSD, and removing it only from WW and keeping it on EF just seems like nonsense!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
So what are your thoughts, do you think the service will improve with the name change, do you think like a lot of cabin crew that the name change is linked to a possible removal of the role all together.
As long as I get good service, I don't care what the job title is of the giver of such service.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I told the purser not to eat the CW food!

I can't get into BA's potential Machiavellian machinations, but I much prefer Purser to Customer Service Lead.

Purser sounds much more professional - someone who has some experience and knows what he is doing.

Customer Service Lead sounds like a title that one would give Kevin, the school kid who works Saturdays. He wanted a pay rise but giving him a meaningless title was cheaper and kept him happy.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I think the vast majority of us on her know what a Purser is, and that on long haul we have one in charge of F and one in charge of Y/Y+.
The new name will not improve anything and I think it is a rather tacky name, and sounds a bit like a downgrade.
KEEP THE PURSER title!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
As long as I get good service, I don't care what the job title is of the giver of such service.
+1. Frankly I can never remember the hierarchy. As long as I am well looked after safely, then I care less about the title. You could be called HRH the queen, I care less.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The purser on the ship was the gentleman of sufficient seniority to be trusted with the ship's purse, so yes I guess it is out of date.

But my goodness they don't half fall for consultancy speak. But I agree with Tobias-UK that 99% of passengers, oops, customers, would not know or care.

Can't they just be called supervisor? Or team leader?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
A quick search of Linkedin shows that the current head of Worldwide Cabin Crew at BA is bmi's former manager of 'service design' and 'inflight service'. Judging by her time in charge she's the genius who decided that having a BoB menu with almost nothing on it was the way to go.
I predict fun ahead.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I agree, so why the name change, why the focus on Heritage, why keep Pursers on EF and possibly LGW flights and what difference will it make to the service onboard?
Do you think that there is a link with the name change to different terms and conditions and possibly removing the role all together?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Customer Service Lead sounds more like the job description rather than its title.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I believe that MacDonald’s also has a Customer Service Lead.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:01 am

Seems like management Babblespeak to me. Why is it that people want something changed they say it is "outdated" or "old fashioned"? It is really just a lazy way of justifying change and this one seems more like change for change sake.

Generally when this sort of thing happens it is a manager trying to justify their own position; "look at what I have done, I have modernised the department". All they really do is change a few names and make some people into "executives" or "operatives".

What was wrong with Purser? If that title was wrong and old fashioned because it comes from an era of steamships then surely Captain and First Officer have also had their day? How about Aircraft Operating Executive and Vice-Aircraft Operating Executive.

As for customers not really knowing what Purser is, what on earth does Customer Service Lead mean? It is a dreadful title and dreadful English.

Rant over.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I believe that MacDonald’s also has a Customer Service Lead.
Good case for sticking with Purser, then.

I really do dislike all this modern HR scribble-speak.
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I always thought Purser was a great title. CSL? What is it with BA and its acronym fetish?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.