Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA dumps FT (the pink one, not this one)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
BA dumps FT (the pink one, not this one)

They really want to go downmarket on the papers it seems
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:03 am

I wonder what happened. It is interesting how FT twice call this BA's decision, although if this was a disagreement over fees then surely it takes two to tango.
Sealink, tbm13 and navylad like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:33 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Are people really going to choose their airline on the basis of the FT being available. Nope didn’t think so.
Sealink and argonath like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
This was a sudden and unilateral decision of BA, I understand.
Whilst people indeed do not choose airlines based on newspapers alone they do choose them on quality of the soft product and this does form part of that. Not everyone likes to read the Daily Mail or nonsense puff magazines, and the FT is a perfect read for a two hour early flight.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One doesn't often see a company publicizing their loss of a major customer. They must believe that there's some chance that the announcement will cause BA to reconsider.

OTOH, on the other side of the pond, it seems that many hotels in the USA are either cutting back or eliminating their provision of newspapers to guests, either in the form of room deliveries early every morning or the presence of a stack of papers to take in the lobby.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:39 am

Shame it has gone, and I hope it comes back.
tbm13 likes this.

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Apr 16, 2019 at 9:14 am Reason: thread cohesion
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Are people really going to choose their airline on the basis of the FT being available. Nope didn’t think so.
There is the incremental passenger for whom it matters. On occasion, I've booked short-haul LX over short-haul LH in C because LX has the Economist while LH does not.

It differs from pax to pax. I'm always surprised which emphasis many people put on the quality of the catering on board... I guess I'm a bit of an oddball that I care a lot about newspapers and magazines.

But, ultimately, I feel the unbundling is going too far. Yes, I want an FT. Yes, I want a glass of water free of charge in Euro Traveller. Etc.

I'm not surprised IAG is losing out to FR and co. on the short haul. The network carriers are over-confident that due to the big data they're collecting via apps, FF programs, co-branded CCs, etc., they have various means to incentivize customers. But increasingly, what I see network carriers' products that are so bare-bones that I as well might fly FR (purchasing priority and a coffee and a sandwich at the airport). EDIT: And an FT, ofc.
stevie, tbm13, Dover2Golf and 7 others like this.

Last edited by newflya; Apr 16, 2019 at 1:48 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Are people really going to choose their airline on the basis of the FT being available.
Of course not, but it further devalues and cheapens the product. We've already lost the Guardian and Telegraph from the lounges, and the loss of the FT further reduces the range of reading matter available to premium customers.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by newflya

It differs from pax to pax. I'm always surprised which emphasis many people put on the quality of the catering on board...
Exactly. If LGPS was enhanced out of F it would create an outcry on these pages

This sort of service reduction, combined with others, has a pernicious impact on a business in a way an accountant perhaps doesn't quite see. As a regular business CE/ET flyer on 00730h departures the FT is a perfect companion to the day's flight(s)
alpenlupe, Calchas and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
It definitely doesn't make BA look good, we are many passengers to really enjoy this paper
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm not sure I'd change airline just for this, but I will definitely notice. Frankly the FT is expensive, in particular as a personal cost item their online subscriptions are noticeably pricier than other quality newspapers. Therefore picking up a BA-provided copy is definitely a perk I appreciate since I like to read it from time to time but I don't want to pay the subscription cost for it every day. I'm also under no illusion that BA are paying anywhere near list price, so it's a win for them and me. They get to provide me something I value, and they get a discount off the price so they can provide me with something that appears valuable to me relative to the cost to them.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Death by a thousand small cuts.....and the decreased differentiation between "full service" airlines and LCCs/ULCCs continues. One more reason for customers to buy plane tickets simply based on the lowest price. It's a competition that BA can't win if it uses such strategies.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Can I ask those of you who read the FT regularly, how you get it normally? Do you only read the free copy provided in your office? Or do you actually put your hand in your pocket and buy a copy?

Also, did BT actually pay for its copies of the FT or were they provided free to help increase the FT's circulation numbers? Where I live we get a number of papers and magazines (Economist included) delivered for free to our Concierge office as it helps boost the circulation numbers. It was a service we were approached about, not something we went looking for.

Has anyone heard from BA about this, and are they planning to replace it with something else?

I understand the argument that as a "legacy" airline (can't use the term Full Service for BA anymore thanks to BoB in Y SH) BA is supposed to be a cut above the rest and provide certain frills, but I'm looking forward to the day when there are no newspapers occupying space planes and the magazines that occupy my seat back pocket (if I don't get the opportunity to chuck it in the overhead locker and get back a few extra MM of space) are replaced with either editions appearing on the seat back TVs (where provided) or streamed via WiFi to your PED. Cathay Pacific uses Press Reader and once you've downloaded it, as well as them giving you access to download newspapers and magazines from 24hrs before a flight, you can uses the app to continue to get publications from free hotspots around the world. Those of you that live in London and have a library card may be able to access free magazines via the RB Digital app if your library is part of the London Libraries Consortium. I'm in my 50's so it's not something that only the young can do and I have a pair of 90 year old friends who thanks to good health and financial acumen still travel and they are able to download magazines to their tablets to read on a flight. Using a tablet makes it easier for them to read as they can enlarge the text easily. You can't do that with a paper. Also, the investor of the pair prefers current financial info, not something the was printed 6 to 24 hours before - that's why he subscribes to the FT and has a digital copy for the latest news.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Press Reader is the way forward. Just sayin’
dddc, our_kid, LondonAndy and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Giving out free copies of newspapers in order to boost circulation is very much a thing of the past in the UK, at least for the quality dailies. Volume discounts are available however, as you would expect with any product.
ba_cityflyer and TPRun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.