Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by 1210mk2
Can anyone show me on BA.com where in writing it states that is you no show for outbound the return flight/entire booking is cancelled?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ns-of-carriage

3c2 in the Conditions of Carriage would seem to cover it:

3c2) Your ticket is no longer valid if you do not use all the coupons in the sequence provided in the ticket. Where you change your travel without our agreement and the price for the resulting transportation you intend to undertake is greater than the price originally paid, you will be requested to pay the difference in price. Failure to pay the price applicable to your revised transportation will result in refusal of carriage.
I shall now withdraw and let the lawyers fight over whether such clauses are fair/enforceable/etc
nancypants and orbitmic like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there was a German court decision saying that this is not enforceable and flight coupons can be used in any order (although I don't understand how this would work with inflexible tickets). It doesn't seem to apply to the entire EU but might be applicable if your itinerary touches Germany, if you have a German address, or if the tickets were issued in Germany. IANAL.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there was a German court decision saying that this is not enforceable and flight coupons can be used in any order (although I don't understand how this would work with inflexible tickets). It doesn't seem to apply to the entire EU but might be applicable if your itinerary touches Germany, if you have a German address, or if the tickets were issued in Germany. IANAL.
The LH website now seems to allow you to choose whether you'd like a ticket that can be used out of sequence in a similar way the BA site allows you to choose whether you'd like flexibility. I've not had time to draw comparisons on the fares being quoted there but I'd be as bold as to suggest opting for a ticket that can be used out of sequence will cost more than one that cannot.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
The LH website now seems to allow you to choose whether you'd like a ticket that can be used out of sequence in a similar way the BA site allows you to choose whether you'd like flexibility. I've not had time to draw comparisons on the fares being quoted there but I'd be as bold as to suggest opting for a ticket that can be used out of sequence will cost more than one that cannot.
I'm pretty sure that checking that box prices the itinerary as full fare one way tickets (YY fare basis) so you could then use them in any order. So for a Vienna-Frankfurt-Amsterdam return ticket, you're buying four separate flexible one ways. Even then, if you simply no-show without cancelling, I think you loose the value of that segment.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I'm sure someone posted such a comparison with the out of sequence ticket double the price..
Old May 2, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The court case also gave the airline the right to reprice the passenger's itinerary based on what he flew and the changes he operated. It is only the actual cancellation that was deemed disproportionate.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not quite.

German courts have ruled that a carrier must offer to sell a ticket which does not require that the segments be flown in the order issued. However, the court expressly did not require that such tickets be sold at the same price. Thus, if you purchase from a German POS, you may purchase such a ticket. However, the pricing is generally astronomically higher than what standard tickets cost for the same route and otherwise same conditions. There may be some limited instances where purchasing one of these special tickets makes sense, but I have yet to find one.

Spain has recently suggested the same. However, the pricing issue is still fluid. But, nothing in the Spanish court decision appears to prohibit carriers from selling tickets with segment-skipping flexibility at a premium.

The bottom line is that this is an interesting academic debate with precious little value in the real world.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rossmacd
They are well within their right to charge you for a full fare single, should you cancel the return sector. However, in reality, I would just no show for the return sector if I knew I was not going to take it, and not inform BA.
No, they aren’t. There is such crap peddled on this forum sometimes. If you no show for the return, which is what the question asked, then there is no penalty that BA can levy.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
No, they aren’t. There is such crap peddled on this forum sometimes. If you no show for the return, which is what the question asked, then there is no penalty that BA can levy.
I am not saying they would tbh, but doesn't this condition say exactly that? Probably more relevant for long haul where a one way can easily be a lot more than booking a return and throwing the return leg away.

3c) Using flight coupons in the right sequence and changes in itinerary

3c1) Your ticket is valid only for the transportation shown on it from the place of departure through any agreed stopping places to the final place of destination. The fare you have paid is based on our tariff for the transportation shown on your ticket and forms part of your contract with us.

3c2) Your ticket is no longer valid if you do not use all the coupons in the sequence provided in the ticket. Where youchange your travel without our agreement and the price for the resulting transportation you intend to undertake is greater than the price originally paid, you will be requested to pay the difference in price. Failure to pay the price applicable to your revised transportation will result in refusal of carriage.
Often1 and nancypants like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
The question asked in both the thread OP and the later post #15 seems to be "if you no show for a segment then are subsequent segments cancelled?"
Old May 2, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
The problem is OP can’t “no show” at LAS as he will be “showing” in J!

BA may see he has 2 tickets on the same flight and cancel one of them.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
I'm pretty sure that checking that box prices the itinerary as full fare one way tickets (YY fare basis) so you could then use them in any order. So for a Vienna-Frankfurt-Amsterdam return ticket, you're buying four separate flexible one ways. Even then, if you simply no-show without cancelling, I think you loose the value of that segment.
There are no YY fares anymore
Old May 3, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am not saying they would tbh, but doesn't this condition say exactly that? Probably more relevant for long haul where a one way can easily be a lot more than booking a return and throwing the return leg away.

There would be no resulting transportation though, would there?
Old May 3, 2019, 1:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There would be no resulting transportation though, would there?
The resulting transportation from your change is the one way vs the return you originally booked.

i don’t want to descend in to a protracted legal argument as this one has been done to death many times wrt to missing the last leg, but I think to say there is absolutely no right for ba to do it has a degree of certainty not supported by the facts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.