Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Outbound flight not taken, return cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

If you have a return flight, but for some reason don't use the first outbound leg, does the return and other onward flights on the same booking get cancelled?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Yes, the entire booking will be canceled if you are a 'no show' on the first or any subsequent segments.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
As Andriyko said, yes, the entire booking is automatically cancelled and BA don't seem to tell you about it either.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
If you have a return flight, but for some reason don't use the first outbound leg, does the return and other onward flights on the same booking get cancelled?
Unfortunately, that is what will happen indeed.

I usually book 2 x one ways for that very reason, unless the fare difference justifies a return booking, as is normally the case with long haul.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you all. So, I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thank you all. So, I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

The las-lhr leg just got availability for a business seat. I can't upgrade due to the fare class of my economy ticket. So, I can grab the business seat, but when I get to lhr the final leg will be cancelled.

I'm assuming that there's no way to "hold" the final leg given that I will still be on the same flight, albeit on a different ticket.
You will end up losing all subsequent legs if you don't fly one of the legs, unfortunately. I do not believe there is any way round it.

Regardless of the fare class you can't upgrade using Avios to Business (CW) from economy (WT) anyway, as you need to be in WT+ (premium economy) to be able to upgrade to business.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I have a discounted economy booking man-lhr-las return.

It seems an inefficient way to do things - but why not "grab" a ticket all the way back to MAN ?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
What comeback from the airline is there if you book a return but only fly the outward leg? BA (and KLM /Alitalia) often have one-ways for 3 times more than a return so just do a no-show for the second leg. If I cancelled the return rather than did the no-show option would BA charge me for the full single ticket (all in ET if that makes a difference).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by copperfield27
What comeback from the airline is there if you book a return but only fly the outward leg? BA (and KLM /Alitalia) often have one-ways for 3 times more than a return so just do a no-show for the second leg. If I cancelled the return rather than did the no-show option would BA charge me for the full single ticket (all in ET if that makes a difference).
They are well within their right to charge you for a full fare single, should you cancel the return sector. However, in reality, I would just no show for the return sector if I knew I was not going to take it, and not inform BA.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Nope. The only time they re-instate sectors is if you provided an extremely good force majeure. I once had a flight from NCL to an obscure airport on NZ's South Island. Fog hit Newcastle, the first flight was cancelled, but I got to LHR with 2 hours to spare for my HKG sector, thanks to the train. The system had automatically cancelled the entire booking, there and back. In that 2 hours they (3 staff) just, only just, got me re-instated as far as Sydney, and then asked the back office to sort out the rest (which did happen). It was amazingly difficult to do.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You will end up losing all subsequent legs if you don't fly one of the legs, unfortunately. I do not believe there is any way round it.

Regardless of the fare class you can't upgrade using Avios to Business (CW) from economy (WT) anyway, as you need to be in WT+ (premium economy) to be able to upgrade to business.
Technically incorrect. You can do it on AA flights, and on BA flights on the A321
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Technically incorrect. You can do it on AA flights, and on BA flights on the A321
If you're splitting hairs, AA don't have a CW cabin...
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I think most airlines have this policy. Once my son and I missed our flight, and we were connecting. He had on pnr while my ticket was on 2. Thanks to HB's help we reroute s through another country... I guess it is too complicated to post the whole thing here. Anyway when we finally reached the connecting airport, my son's ticket was cancelled. We had to buy him a new one.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I was in this situation, booked a new return ticket with avios as I had 24 hours to spare. Then, the return flight from EDI was delayed, because one pax was somehow checked in twice... So on this occasion I need not have arranged a new ticket and could have just showed up with my original BP.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can anyone show me on BA.com where in writing it states that is you no show for outbound the return flight/entire booking is cancelled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.