NY winter storm

Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Winter Storm NEMO - flew over the top of it on the 066 ex PHL last night.

Very choppy for the first part of the flight and surprised they didn't take a more easterly route out.

Flight was rammed as everything out of NYC/BOS was cancelled.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:17 am

On Cape Cod we still have power at hour house but 80 percent of our town does not have power, so I turned the heat up high and hope the power lasts. My brother in Brewster lost power at 8:30 last night and expects to wait quite a while. We had some big gusts last night and it is still gusting now. Didn't hear any cracking of trees overnight but will venture out in a bit to see the damage.
Our driveway is long and comes off a small side street. We went up last night to the street to look around and walk out to a larger road. The main road was plowed, poorly plowed but plowed. Walking back to our driveway a pine cracked and fell next to us. Then we heard another tree crack so we headed back inside!
They expect coastal damage with the next tide.

Last edited by halfcape; Feb 9, 2013 at 6:13 am
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:22 am

Storm

Manhattan does not look that bad. Here on Long Island, about 60 miles east we have 5 foot snow drifts with 2-3 feet on snow on the roads. All roads are closed as they attempt to clear them.

Good day to relax.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
From a buddy south of BOS 12 hours ago "Not a lot of snow yet and it is wet and slushy but just now starting to get heavier. HUGE surf at the end of the street."

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I'm on the 213 to BOS tomorrow morning and thinking it may be a tad busy with all the flights yesterday and all but one of them today cancelled!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by halfcape
On Cape Cod we still have power at hour house but 80 percent of our town does not have power, so I turned the heat up high and hope the power lasts. My brother in Brewster lost power at 8:30 last night and expects to wait quite a while. We had some big gusts last night and it is still gusting now. Didn't hear any cracking of trees overnight but will venture out in a bit to see the damage.
Our driveway is long and comes off a small side street. We went up last night to the street to look around and walk out to a larger road. The main road was plowed, poorly plowed but plowed. Walking back to our driveway a pine cracked and fell next to us. Then we heard another tree crack so we headed back inside!
They expect coastal damage with the next tide.
They don't call them widow makers for nothing! Glad you've got this far relatively unscathed.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
They don't call them widow makers for nothing! Glad you've got this far relatively unscathed.
I know it sounded pretty stupid. We usually go out for a short walk during snow storms but didn't really account for the wind and the weight of the snow on the trees. Staying in now until it is time to shovel out the cars.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by halfcape
I know it sounded pretty stupid. We usually go out for a short walk during snow storms but didn't really account for the wind and the weight of the snow on the trees. Staying in now until it is time to shovel out the cars.
Well downtown ACK is under freezing water near the harbour http://www.ack.net/blizzard-2013.html I'm told the power is out in Madaket and a few other places. Snow on the island is wet and is probably freezing to power lines which are then weighed down to breaking point and that won't help the power stay on. National Grid again sent trucks and crews to the island ahead of the storm so that they can fix the damage without waiting for the ferries to restart. Next tide does not look good hope there is still a beach in Madaket .

I did once have a desire to spend a winter on the island but I've revised that in the last twelve months for obvious reasons. If you're safe indoors best advice is to stay there, and please try and stay safe everyone. ^
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Well downtown ACK is under freezing water near the harbour http://www.ack.net/blizzard-2013.html I'm told the power is out in Madaket and a few other places. Snow on the island is wet and is probably freezing to power lines which are then weighed down to breaking point and that won't help the power stay on. National Grid again sent trucks and crews to the island ahead of the storm so that they can fix the damage without waiting for the ferries to restart. Next tide does not look good hope there is still a beach in Madaket .

I did once have a desire to spend a winter on the island but I've revised that in the last twelve months for obvious reasons. If you're safe indoors best advice is to stay there, and please try and stay safe everyone. ^
That flooding looks awful. Hopefully it won't happen again on the next tide. It is still pretty nasty here. Still snowing and blowing. Then the sun tries to peek out. I went up once to look at my car and decided to leave it for later. Not going any place for quite a while anyway!

There are still 155,000 people without power. That is out of 197,000 people on the Cape. That is a lot of people. I feel really badly for everyone but am happy to have power and hope it stays on.

Don't give up on a winter on the Island, you might like it.

Last edited by halfcape; Feb 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:19 pm

deleted because duplicate post, sorry.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Halfcape my folks in Falmouth had a tree down outside their house overnight effectively cutting them off from road access until town can get out there. Some local stress there for mum.

/trying to bring back off OT/ this is what makes tier point runs so tricky to plan in winter if it involves and east coast connection, eh?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Buddy in Scituate (bit south of BOS) has gone silent. I hope it's just power/Internet, as he's only a hundred yards or so from the shore.

Last edited by T8191; Feb 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm Reason: Spellung
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
NY winter storm

Daily Hate is reporting it is due over here in the next 3 to 4 days. BTW I wasn't buying it honest.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
/with fear of mods weighing in for no BA relevance/

amazing map information from local power supplier on outages:
http://outage.nstar.com/outage/outagemap.aspx

[disclaimer: other utility companies available]

Can you imagine if utilities here upped their game? Granted, we don't get "big weather" in Blighty. Generally.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Thoughts with everyone who is effected by this...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.