Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubadu
Then why would you even waste time tracking/replying to this thread?

Regards
To see if the discount goes back up to $400 again.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005
Hopefully a temporary issue:

Today, 9:15 AM EST I received this message on the landing page to book the AARP fares:

"We regret that the special discount offer is currently unavailable."
i see that too, but it is quoting fares with the new discount if you ignore and continue.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have any BA Silver/Golds found the AARP discounted fares difficult to upgrade using Avios?

Specifically, is there any evidence these AARP-discount fares are treated different from a BA.com purchased ticket for Avios upgrade once they've been ticketed???
Yes. See this thread and the links within:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ket-first.html
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
To see if the discount goes back up to $400 again.
Fair enough. Although, since the discount has been the same for quite some time and they just went to the trouble of modifying it, changing it back seems rather unlikely.

Regards
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:04 pm

Have any BA Silver/Golds found the AARP discounted fares difficult to upgrade using Avios?

Specifically, is there any evidence these AARP-discount fares are treated different from a BA.com purchased ticket for Avios upgrade once they've been ticketed???
Just to add to the experiences here...

Today I upgraded an AARP discounted ticket from CW to F. I booked the AARP discount online, then called the GGL line to upgrade with Avios.

Based on other recent threads, I was prepared for the request to be rejected. (In this case, I would have kept the CW ticket...in other instances, if rejected, one might want to cancel under the 24 hour rule.)

Maybe the agent let it slide because I am GGL. Or maybe the UK based GGL agents are not dealing with US-specific discounted tickets and I got lucky.

Note that while CW to F upgrades are generally good value, WT+ to CW upgrades are not always a good deal for these AARP discount tickets (or for any US originating BA tickets). When upgrading, BA charges the difference in taxes and fees between the cabins. For US originating tickets, that difference is currently $700 between WT+ and CW! (Actual taxes and fees are the same, this $700 is 100% BA "carrier surcharge".)
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
Today I upgraded an AARP discounted ticket from CW to F. I booked the AARP discount online, then called the GGL line to upgrade with Avios.

Based on other recent threads, I was prepared for the request to be rejected. (In this case, I would have kept the CW ticket...in other instances, if rejected, one might want to cancel under the 24 hour rule.)

Maybe the agent let it slide because I am GGL. Or maybe the UK based GGL agents are not dealing with US-specific discounted tickets and I got lucky.
I've never had any problems upgrading my AARP discounting CW tickets to F using Avios. Done it maybe a dozen times.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
I've never had any problems upgrading my AARP discounting CW tickets to F using Avios. Done it maybe a dozen times.
Same here...but I hadn't done one since last summer...

Since late last fall, a few threads (including the one Jerry linked to above) have had people reporting that they were being told AARP discounted tickets could not be upgraded with Avios.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Fraser
How about WT+ to CW aka business class? That is the sweet spot for me.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've had BA front line staff tell me that AARP discounted tickets cannot be (1) upgraded (2) changed (3) split, when you have multiple pax on one PNR, etc. It has sometimes taken me several calls to resolve, sometimes required escalation, but I have always come out on top. The bummer is that the discount has now been halved, so nowhere near as lucrative when used in connection with the $1k-ish business class flash sales that have happened most years.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
Same here...but I hadn't done one since last summer...

Since late last fall, a few threads (including the one Jerry linked to above) have had people reporting that they were being told AARP discounted tickets could not be upgraded with Avios.
Ah, yes, I've not done any since August.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
How about WT+ to CW aka business class? That is the sweet spot for me.
That used to be the sweet spot (and sometimes still is)...but BA has been playing around with their surcharges, which makes WT+ to CW less attractive.

WT+ to CW upgrades are not always a good deal for these AARP discount tickets (or for any US originating BA tickets). When upgrading, BA charges the difference in taxes and fees between the cabins. For US originating tickets, that difference is currently $700 between WT+ and CW! Actual taxes and fees are the same, this $700 is 100% BA "carrier surcharge".

I've done this in the past with AARP tickets, but there are some reports since last fall of people being told by BA that these tickets cannot be upgraded.

If you're looking for a WT+ to CW upgrade...I'd suggest:

1) Verify CW award availability on your flights

2) Book on-line with AARP discount...mindful of the current $700 upgrade fee.

3) Immediately call to apply Avios upgrade. If rejected, ask them to cancel under the 24 hour rule, or pay the difference to remove the discount.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:55 am

Anyone notice that the price discounts aren't showing up anymore?
Booking WTP from SFO-LHR RT shows $1294 on GF and then though BA AARP is the exact same price. Hm...
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: ba gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Booking WTP from SFO-LHR RT shows $1294 on GF and then though BA AARP is the exact same price. Hm...
I noticed a couple of days ago that it stopped discounting WTP which is a bit weird because CW, WT and F it does show up cheaper so it might be some sort of bug or something
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by a mirrer
I noticed a couple of days ago that it stopped discounting WTP which is a bit weird because CW, WT and F it does show up cheaper so it might be some sort of bug or something
Sucks. Too bad BA is horrible at fixing the pricing bugs that give discounts =p
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
I have had the same problem. Now that I am ready to purchase the flights, the discount disappears. Anyone have any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be a phone number or any other way to report the glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.