FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The floodgates have opened! [Reg 261/2004] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1433602-floodgates-have-opened-reg-261-2004-a.html)

mdj1 Jan 30, 2013 7:42 pm

The floodgates have opened! [Reg 261/2004]

From the mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-3-hours.html

Will be interesting to see what BA do with their refusal to obide by the EU ruling now that a presidence has been set in a UK court.

HIDDY Jan 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Just goes to show how much attention I pay to these things. I thought the floodgates had opened months ago?

Cap'n Benj Jan 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by mdj1 (Post 20156610)
From the mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-3-hours.html

Will be interesting to see what BA do with their refusal to obide by the EU ruling now that a presidence has been set in a UK court.

They already have, they paid up for my two backdated claims for 4 hour+ delays, after the recent clarification on the ruling back in Septeberish time, without any hassle whatsoever

onaswan Jan 30, 2013 9:49 pm

The money has got to come from somewhere... Stand by for fare (not fair!) increases!

That's the 'claim culture' we're living in. :(

JALlover Jan 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Now this is going to be interesting, would it be BA's fault if under extreme weather conditions or airport is too congested? happens alot at BA's own hub

onaswan Jan 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by JALlover (Post 20157365)
Now this is going to be interesting, would it be BA's fault if under extreme weather conditions or airport is too congested? happens alot at BA's own hub

Or the grounding of a particular type of aircraft by CAA... :rolleyes:

onaswan Jan 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by JALlover (Post 20157365)

And actually, the perpetual debate of "what is late?"... boarding? doors closed? Push-back? take off? landing? doors open? through immigration????

I think that there is a get-out clause for airlines, when it comes to weather. Might need to confirm that.

But interesting about the 'home' airports. Could lead to BAA squeezing the non-BA flights down the queue in favour of saving BA's timings (and money!)

JALlover Jan 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by onaswan (Post 20157421)
And actually, the perpetual debate of "what is late?"... boarding? doors closed? Push-back? take off? landing? doors open? through immigration????

I think that there is a get-out clause for airlines, when it comes to weather. Might need to confirm that.

But interesting about the 'home' airports. Could lead to BAA squeezing the non-BA flights down the queue in favour of saving BA's timings (and money!)

I guess from the time of push back?

Doubt BAA would favour BA just because of this, can sense VS complaining about this straight away if BAA does let BA have the priority

China Clipper Jan 31, 2013 12:24 am

The floodgates have opened!

Well you had me scared. Thought it was another credit-card mileage deal.

Swanhunter Jan 31, 2013 12:54 am

Originally Posted by China Clipper (Post 20157618)
Well you had me scared. Thought it was another credit-card mileage deal.

:D

travelfan199 Jan 31, 2013 12:57 am

Originally Posted by onaswan (Post 20157186)
The money has got to come from somewhere... Stand by for fare (not fair!) increases!

That's the 'claim culture' we're living in. :(

What you're forgetting is that the Regs are all about passenger rights. Whilst there is obviously a compliance cost on the part of an airline, but the Regs encourage airlines to run on time and treat customers fairly. I think the Regs are very good things and provide necessary passenger protection.

Land-of-Miles Jan 31, 2013 1:12 am

Originally Posted by travelfan199 (Post 20157697)
What you're forgetting is that the Regs are all about passenger rights. Whilst there is obviously a compliance cost on the part of an airline, but the Regs encourage airlines to run on time and treat customers fairly. I think the Regs are very good things and provide necessary passenger protection.

I agree but this is old news, looks like a slow news day at the Daily Mail.

Weather related issues are much more arguable as Extraordinary Circumstances so I wouldn't hold my breath for a payout on a weather based delay.

NickB Jan 31, 2013 1:41 am

In the meantime, the fall of the Roman Empire has apparently been confirmed....

BingBongBoy Jan 31, 2013 1:48 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 20157801)
In the meantime, the fall of the Roman Empire has apparently been confirmed....

:D:D:D

paulwuk Jan 31, 2013 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 20157733)
I agree but this is old news, looks like a slow news day at the Daily Mail.

Weather related issues are much more arguable as Extraordinary Circumstances so I wouldn't hold my breath for a payout on a weather based delay.

A light breeze at heathrow grounds the planes, that wouldn't be a compensation situation.

A Hurricane in new York which cancels my LHR-DXB flight due to crew/plane out of position, that would be a compensation issue.

BA (and other eu airlines) get more custom because of eu261, especially the looking after you during a volcano situation.