Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA lifetime loyalty programme soon to be introduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lifetime loyalty programme soon to be introduced

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
It would be seen as discriminatory because there is a simple alternative (ie not enforcing the 'continuous' clause) which would not have been discriminatory.

It would, for example, clearly be discriminatory if a law firm told its staff that they had to work for 10 years continuously (ie with no maternity break) before they could be considered for partnership. The principle is the same.
There is a big difference. In one case the person is an employee and in the other the person is a customer
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, yes, Fruitcake, undoubtedly nice for the old/retired/readjusting. But then are they, like me, big spenders?

The endlessly travelling Exec, however lowly, could hit LTG by ... 25/40? After which that individual would be free to pick and choose other carriers/programmes. Indeed, I've seen some posters here who are Gold/Plat/Uranium/Kryptonite with several carriers. Are they going to stick with BA because they have the LTG ticket? I suggest they'll just travel with whoever suits route/schedule rather that say "Oh, gosh, I am loyal to BA."
Yes, largely agreed, and that's why I suppose such a move would need to be carefully targeted / worked out by the actuaries / bean counters to get it right. BA would still rather take the money of the middling spenders than not. Lots of people in that category. I think that's why they 'polished silver.'
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by pianoamit
Oh, come on!!!

There is a very short window of time in which a woman is not advised/permitted to fly. About 6 weeks, if memory serves me correctly (although it might be even shorter). Whether after having given birth, during her maternity leave, a woman chooses to fly on her own dime or not (i.e.. wait for her employer to pay for her flights) should not, and evidently does not, interest BA.
It's possibly not their choice if women fly, I met someone at a party who told me (she was pregnant) that her firm restricted overseas travel when with child. This was so you could be near your local hospital/doctor for check ups and should the mother to be become sick etc.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not for those who are based in the US it won't......they don't even have to be all that loyal to get Gold in the first place.
with the 4 sector requirement they are all a hell of a lot more loyal than you are.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is a big difference. In one case the person is an employee and in the other the person is a customer
UK papers report today that Danish courts have decreed that hairdressers must charge the same price to male and female customers. As an example.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
One thing that I have learnt in my life is that in nothing is for ever
Diamonds are forever... Oh wait...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
UK papers report today that Danish courts have decreed that hairdressers must charge the same price to male and female customers. As an example.
That's an example of the SAME rules having to apply to all though

If there is a standard policy that applies to all regarding status regardless of gender, I cannot see that it could be classed as discriminatory
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
I think this could make a much bigger difference to those of us who travel economy or WTP+ due to work polices, but fly a reasonable amount.

If you are flying club and first, then status makes very little difference really and is easy to get with one or more carriers. But if you are flying in lower classes regularly it makes a massive difference and definitely influences your choose of carrier.

I for one, would be much more keen to push everything into BA for a number of years if it mean't lifetime status. Currently I fly enough to keep status just, but I also think about swapping every now again. Lifetime status would mean BA on all flights, not just the long haul ones where status helps a lot more.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
I suspect most BA Golds just are because of work and quite like having the status. They also probably quite like BA and aren't interested in collecting FF status on other airlines. They'd rather be on a BA jet.

- If they go try other airlines, then they don't use the status benefits, it costs BA nothing. I reckon most would still stick with BA if they travel less often as they know what they get, get better service, better chance of upgrade and probably like a nice glass of bubbly.

- If they spend their more occasional travel on BA, BA wins.

I think the upside for BA far outweighs the downside of a few status hungry FTers.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by stevea1234
I think this could make a much bigger difference to those of us who travel economy or WTP+ due to work polices, but fly a reasonable amount.

If you are flying club and first, then status makes very little difference really and is easy to get with one or more carriers. But if you are flying in lower classes regularly it makes a massive difference and definitely influences your choose of carrier.

I for one, would be much more keen to push everything into BA for a number of years if it mean't lifetime status. Currently I fly enough to keep status just, but I also think about swapping every now again. Lifetime status would mean BA on all flights, not just the long haul ones where status helps a lot more.

Of course all depends how long a lifetime is. Legally.
Not that long as virgin lifetime silvers found, or as some prems have found - I ve seen at least one black card snipped in half in the ccr entrance.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 White, HH Gold, Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Of course all depends how long a lifetime is. Legally.
Not that long as virgin lifetime silvers found, or as some prems have found - I ve seen at least one black card snipped in half in the ccr entrance.
EEk, That would be more than a bit embarrasing!

Could you expand on the virgin point for those of us that don't know?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That's an example of the SAME rules having to apply to all though

If there is a standard policy that applies to all regarding status regardless of gender, I cannot see that it could be classed as discriminatory
Applying the same rule to individuals in situations which are not comparable is just as discriminatory as applying different rules to individuals in comparable situations.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
Applying the same rule to individuals in situations which are not comparable is just as discriminatory as applying different rules to individuals in comparable situations.
This discussion seems to be taken the philosophical offramp in the direction of OTville...

I could just as easily suggest that practising Jews cannot fly on about 70 days in the year - that is roughly 20% - and allowances should be made for them when trying to qualify for status with BA. And yet, you don't see me playing the discrimination card.

Like I said before, just because a woman is incapable or unwilling to pay for flights during her maternity leave doesn't put the onus on BA to accommodate her.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jonboy73
EEk, That would be more than a bit embarrasing!

Could you expand on the virgin point for those of us that don't know?
I would be interested in this also. Virgin is our preferred company policy, but manage to fly BA now for most flights (price is often cheaper on BA).

A couple of colleagues are Virgin life time gold. No idea what the criteria was for getting it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by studio76
with the 4 sector requirement they are all a hell of a lot more loyal than you are.
No you can earn BA Gold without ever flying on a BA aircraft.

I've probably flown BA more times than many Golds on here so there.

Last edited by HIDDY; Jan 22, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.