Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA lifetime loyalty programme soon to be introduced

BA lifetime loyalty programme soon to be introduced

Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It isn't given per se is it? BA pay AA for each entry.
I believe you're right.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Worth noting that a 10 year lifetime requirement based on CONTINUOUSLY retaining Gold may leave BA open to a legal challenge under sex discrimination rules.

Given the restrictions of flying when pregnant, such a requirement would be seen as discriminatory towards women.

As my wife will tell you, it is bad enough returning to work after a years maternity leave to find that your Gold card has dropped to Silver (and with little time left in the membership year to retain even that).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by YClass
An other option is to offer 10-year golds with Life Time Silver/Gold and GGL if they retain Gold through annual TPs.
I think this is an excellent idea. It rewards GCHs with 10-years of gold under their belt with equivalent lifetime BAEC status (not a drop to silver), whilst offering a real incentive to stick with BA and continue to achieve Gold for a worthwhile benefit.

Out of interest I wonder how many people on here have 10-years continuous gold under their belt already or are near two it?

I am in my seventh consecutive year of Gold and already have sufficient flights booked to make that 8th. If this benefit were offered, achieving years 9 and 10 would be a no-brainer.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Oh, come on!!!

There is a very short window of time in which a woman is not advised/permitted to fly. About 6 weeks, if memory serves me correctly (although it might be even shorter). Whether after having given birth, during her maternity leave, a woman chooses to fly on her own dime or not (i.e.. wait for her employer to pay for her flights) should not, and evidently does not, interest BA.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by studio76
I personally can't see them doing it based on longevity. I suspect it will be tier point based like on Qantas where 7000 SC gets you silver (RUBY) and 14,000 gets you Gold (sapphire)...
Would British Airways even have the Management Information to be able to go back since the programme began and calculate lifetime miles earned and TPs...?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by NickB
Both BA's main competitors (viz. AF and LH) offer a lifetime elite programme for 10 year continuous membership at Gold-equivalent level (SEN for LH and Platinum for AF), supplemented by a TP-equivalent threshold for LH.
Sadly LH offers it not officially. You can be invited if you are 60 years old. They had an "unoffical maternal leave". When my wife wanted to take the offer, they told us that it expired a month ago...

Why should it discourage to stay loyal? You have to fly an airline to get all the perks! I am based in Europe, but QF is my preferred carrier to Australia. I still managed to get my 4 QF flights per year. So the lifetime program made me staying loyal!

The lifetime status is the main reason that I stay with QFF. Still a few SCs to go, but the goal is quite in sight.

QF has the requirement of
-7000 SCs for Silver (Ruby = BA Bronze) and
-14000 SCs for Gold (Saphire = BA Silver)

If BA had a similar program I might have decided to switch. But until reaching it, I am locked in.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
Worth noting that a 10 year lifetime requirement based on CONTINUOUSLY retaining Gold may leave BA open to a legal challenge under sex discrimination rules.

Given the restrictions of flying when pregnant, such a requirement would be seen as discriminatory towards women.

As my wife will tell you, it is bad enough returning to work after a years maternity leave to find that your Gold card has dropped to Silver (and with little time left in the membership year to retain even that).
LH specifically recognise this within M&M and I believe offer a status extension for a 12 month period to cover maternity leave. It wouldn't be a bad idea for BA to formalise something similar.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oscietra
Would British Airways even have the Management Information to be able to go back since the programme began and calculate lifetime miles earned and TPs...?
That would be my first question. I know I was GCH in 1998 at the latest (think it was actually 1996) and have been ever since, but do BA?!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand they have records going back a long way.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by pianoamit
Oh, come on!!!

There is a very short window of time in which a woman is not advised/permitted to fly. About 6 weeks, if memory serves me correctly (although it might be even shorter). Whether after having given birth, during her maternity leave, a woman chooses to fly on her own dime or not (i.e.. wait for her employer to pay for her flights) should not, and evidently does not, interest BA.
It would be seen as discriminatory because there is a simple alternative (ie not enforcing the 'continuous' clause) which would not have been discriminatory.

It would, for example, clearly be discriminatory if a law firm told its staff that they had to work for 10 years continuously (ie with no maternity break) before they could be considered for partnership. The principle is the same.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
How about any 10 years in the last 11
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
How about any 10 years in the last 11
Maybe 15000 TPs in 12 years OR continuous Gold for 10.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I understand they have records going back a long way.
If they do, then it's a shame they don't make such info available to members on their personal homepage.

AAdvantage shows my 500,000ish Lifetime miles when I login, why not similar functionality for BAEC?

I also think lifetime Silver is more appropriate than lifetime Gold.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:13 am
Suspended

Pity, have been flown 100 sectors on BA in last 3 years. All credited to Qantas for the lifetime statues. If BA announce the lifetime recognition it would be too late for me to start again!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they do, then it's a shame they don't make such info available to members on their personal homepage.
No need to display it until now whereas AA have had a lifetime scheme for many years. Plus we know how challenged BA's IT is..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.