FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   CW/CW or WT+/F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1429941-cw-cw-wt-f.html)

peshwengi Jan 21, 2013 1:26 am

CW/CW or WT+/F?

Hi everyone,

I need to book a ticket for next week, from BLR to LBA (via LHR). On the plus side, this will unexpectedly push me over the edge into gold, on the negative side, it's for a funeral (hence the short notice).

I need 240TP to get gold, so I figured I could travel CW in both directions (280TP) or spoil myself and fly F on the way home, compensating by flying WT+ on the way there (or even WT... But it's a long flight...). The F/Wt+ combo is slightly cheaper but routes via MAA, I imagine because WT+ is either full or not available on the direct flight.

What are your thoughts on these options? I am aware that there's the possibility of getting op-up'd but since that has never happened to me before I'm not counting my chickens...

James

peshwengi Jan 21, 2013 1:31 am

Just realised I forgot to include the TPs for the short LHR to LBA flight. I notice that it shows the J booking class for this flight if I book CW, although the aircraft has a single cabin. Does anyone know whether that means I get CW-equivalent tier points for this segment?

Rickers Jan 21, 2013 1:43 am

I would personally take the CW return trip, forget the WT hassles -- the domestic sectors will be worth 20 TPs each way.

Sorry for your loss, not the best reason to make Gold, for sure !

Filthy Monkey Jan 21, 2013 1:49 am

Agree completely. CW both ways. The difference between WT+ and CW is huge, but not so much between CW and F.

rossmacd Jan 21, 2013 1:50 am

Sorry to hear your bad news.

CW each way. F on one leg is not enough to make up for WT/WT+ on the other leg.

peshwengi Jan 21, 2013 1:57 am

Well that sounds pretty unanimous! Thanks folks.

TravellerFrequently Jan 21, 2013 2:08 am

Originally Posted by peshwengi (Post 20091644)
Well that sounds pretty unanimous! Thanks folks.

+ 1 to the above advice and also to the condolences.

Genius1 Jan 21, 2013 12:26 pm

CW both ways for sure.

PETER01 Jan 21, 2013 12:30 pm

CW both ways too and much more private at the window which may be better for your (sad) circumstances.

hrnt Jan 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Heh, I just booked a F (CW->F) outbound, WT inbound :) I guess the contrast will be interesting... (LHR-JFK-LHR)

peshwengi Jan 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Update

When I got to booking, I priced for CW both ways, however on a whim selected F outbound and saw that the price for CW inbound dropped substantially. So in the end I booked F out, CW in, for <£100 more than a CW round trip!

Seat 2K out, 64A in. :)

Airlineanorak Jan 21, 2013 11:26 pm

CW/CW or WT+/F?

That's a great deal! I've just booked the same trips as you but in reverse - CW out and F back from BLR. Now we just need to hope for NF!

onaswan Jan 22, 2013 12:22 am

Originally Posted by peshwengi (Post 20091587)
Hi everyone,

I need to book a ticket for next week, from BLR to LBA (via LHR). On the plus side, this will unexpectedly push me over the edge into gold, on the negative side, it's for a funeral (hence the short notice).

I need 240TP to get gold, so I figured I could travel CW in both directions (280TP) or spoil myself and fly F on the way home, compensating by flying WT+ on the way there (or even WT... But it's a long flight...). The F/Wt+ combo is slightly cheaper but routes via MAA, I imagine because WT+ is either full or not available on the direct flight.

What are your thoughts on these options? I am aware that there's the possibility of getting op-up'd but since that has never happened to me before I'm not counting my chickens...

James

Hang on a minute... BLR - LHR = day flight so sit and watch AVOD or look out of the window. WT+ would be OK
LHR - BLR = night flight - take F. Enjoy CCR, a great service on board, get your head down and arrive in BLR. ^