Wiki Posts
Search

UK Domestic

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
UK Domestic

Nabbed myself an LHR to LBA flight on a friday evening to connect in from my DME Flight as the train is scary expensive!

I have never flown UK Domestic on BA before I would like what to expect. I know its all one class. I was given 2D, but there are Emergency Exit row seats available. Not sure if i should bother as its only a 1 hour (30 mins flying as I recall) flight, but if there is anything to know.. Do tell
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Stick with 2D you can stretch your legs into the aisle - and the pitch will be 34in.

If it's breakfast you'll get a hot panni and a hot drink. After 10am you'll get a drink from the bar and the choice of an embarrassing tiny packet of crisps, nuts or savouries.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Stick with 2D you can stretch your legs into the aisle - and the pitch will be 34in.
Not sure about pitch. The route is currently operated by ex-bmi 319s and they seem tighter on the legroom than the BA 319s. I'd do row 1 or the exit row.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
embarrassing tiny packet of crisps, nuts or savouries.
Entirely wrong way to look at this. The size means that you can eat it all without fear of overindulging. BA takes care of its passengers.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Diabetic... So banned from these pleasures... Which Ms BTC seems to think is a good, waist control idea
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by gcuk
Not sure about pitch. The route is currently operated by ex-bmi 319s and they seem tighter on the legroom than the BA 319s. I'd do row 1 or the exit row.
Pitch is tighter on the ex-bmi fleet at the front of the plane, largely due to the BA fleet having extra pitch to allow for CE. It's not any tighter than regular ET and somewhat ameliorated by the space saver seats.

Row 1 (usually reserved for Golds until t-24) has plenty of room. Exit is row 10 and has a bit extra.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
In an ideal world the domestic leg is functional and unmemorable. You get on, get some shut-eye, and get off a short while later. If the crew have a friendly manner that makes it much nicer but the flight is too short for sustained interaction. I generally reserve 2D or 2F but in truth it really doesn't matter where you sit in the plane. It's not like you're going to be there long.

Barring delays or crashes, the most upsetting thing you're likely to experience is having difficulty stowing your carry-on because the ratio of overhead space to pax is too small and some fellow humans are too dim or selfish to co-operate in making it work. It shouldn't really be a big deal but when you've been travelling 15 hrs and your body clock is at 5.00 a.m. it does become an irritant. Options are (a) board early, (b) stow it under the seat in front, or (c) ask cabin crew to help place it. (a) is boring because you'd need to go to the gate early to stand in a queue, and (c) is only a last resort. I go prepared for (b) but usually don't have to because there's no-one in 2E so I put my case under 1E.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... If it's breakfast you'll get a hot panni and a hot drink. After 10am you'll get a drink from the bar and the choice of an embarrassing tiny packet of crisps, nuts or savouries.
I think the breakfast finished at 09:30 since the winter timetable came in to play.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
At 9:29 to be precise
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:51 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fripperies
the most upsetting thing you're likely to experience is having difficulty stowing your carry-on because the ratio of overhead space to pax is too small and some fellow humans are too dim or selfish to co-operate in making it work
Bearing in mind this is a flight to Leeds...I somehow doubt that this will prove an issue.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by andset1191
Bearing in mind this is a flight to Leeds...I somehow doubt that this will prove an issue.
Not sure I follow. Are Leodensians famous for being considerate with hand luggage, or is there something distinctive about travel patterns on the route? (Seriously, I've never used LBA but am curious to know).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:13 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Not sure I follow. Are Leodensians famous for being considerate with hand luggage, or is there something distinctive about travel patterns on the route? (Seriously, I've never used LBA but am curious to know).
The flights are averaging 60 passengers on a plane with 132 seats.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Barring delays or crashes, the most upsetting thing you're likely to experience is having difficulty stowing your carry-on because the ratio of overhead space to pax is too small and some fellow humans are too dim or selfish to co-operate in making it work. It shouldn't really be a big deal but when you've been travelling 15 hrs and your body clock is at 5.00 a.m. it does become an irritant. Options are (a) board early, (b) stow it under the seat in front, or (c) ask cabin crew to help place it. (a) is boring because you'd need to go to the gate early to stand in a queue, and (c) is only a last resort. I go prepared for (b) but usually don't have to because there's no-one in 2E so I put my case under 1E.
You could of course check it into the hold, which is designed to carry luggage!

I do wonder how many people really need to take all of their luggage as carry ons and what they think will happen if they were to check it in. As some one who always checks in luggage, as I actually want to carry liquids over 100ml and sharp objects, I have found the time taken to collect that luggage minimal: on average 5-10 minutes and at some airports (e.g JNB) the luggage is on the belt before the first passenger reaches the reclaim.

I do wonder how many people make their lives rushed and hectic for the sake of it and because it is fashionable to be seen to be busy, rather than they actually need to be in such a hurry. It is hardly a good technique for managing stress.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by andset1191
The flights are averaging 60 passengers on a plane with 132 seats.
Oh right. Better make use of it while it lasts, then?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by FrancisA
You could of course check it into the hold, which is designed to carry luggage!
Quote from Up in the Air:

Ryan Bingham: That's exactly what it is, it's luggage. You know how much time you lose by checking in?
Natalie Keener: I don't know. Five, ten minutes?
Ryan Bingham: 35 minutes a flight. I travel 270 days a year. That's 157 hours. That makes seven days. You're willing to throw away an entire week on that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.