Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer 2013 [archived]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:42 am

There are well laid out procedures for a no comms situation, but most aircraft have multiple radio systems as well as transponders and at a pinch a mobile phone. Much depends on the emergency situation but there are lots of options.

Now one for an ATCO, is ILS voice still available anywhere?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Wow, that sounds quite shocking!

Did they take off again or did they just put the passengers on a coach!!!
They were grounded by the aviation authorities pending an investigation. Passengers were transferred by coach to the correct airport. The main problem was the lack of steps - it was a subcontracted A320 so no integrated steps unlike FR's 738s.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4857962.stm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
There are well laid out procedures for a no comms situation
In a multi-billion pound industry where communication is vital and misunderstandings have caused fatal accidents, why does ATC still use Analogue radios? Why not move to digital like the rest of the developed world has?

I may have access to a scanner and even when sat in GF at T5, it amazes me how little an ATC has going for them with interference, regional accents and sometimes just the shear volume of communication. Having digital would also negate the interferance from those pesky businessmen turning on their mobile phones as soon as the wheels hit the ground to tell the significant other that they have landed.

Just a thought and I bet there is a very good reason why it has not happened. No idea what it is and why it cannot be overcome though given the size of the prize.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
There are well laid out procedures for a no comms situation
In a multi-billion pound industry where communication is vital and misunderstandings have caused fatal accidents, why does ATC still use Analogue radios? Why not move to digital like the rest of the developed world has?

I may have access to a scanner and even when sat in GF at T5, it amazes me how little an ATC has going for them with interference, regional accents and sometimes just the shear volume of communication. Having digital would also negate the interferance from those pesky businessmen turning on their mobile phones as soon as the wheels hit the ground to tell the significant other that they have landed.

Just a thought and I bet there is a very good reason why it has not happened. No idea what it is and why it cannot be overcome though given the size of the prize.
The problem with digital comms is that it is all or nothing. With a marginal signal analogue may still be readable whereas digital may fail completely. There is a similar reason why AM is used rather than FM in that under multiple transmissions a slightly stronger signal will completely mask any weaker signals. This is refered to as the "capture effect".
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
I'm pleased to be able to tell you that another staff members has offered is the benefit of their experience and knowledge. Steve Oh is a rosser, sorry I mean policeman , with the Metropolitan Police Force. …...

Thanks for the offer Steve Oh, and 'ello, 'ello 'ello!
"Evening All" and welcome from me too.

Did you by any chance know an good old mate of mine who was at the Iranian Embassy, and Balkan Street, or was that long before your time? Do drop a PM if relevant.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Originally Posted by T8191
Balkan Street
Balcombe Street?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertf999
Balcombe Street?
Bloody auto-correct Indeed.

Saw a few good TV shots of my friend in the door next to the Embassy with his SMG.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Steve Oh is a rosser,
*Cough* it's rozzers *cough*
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
*Cough* it's rozzers *cough*
And you are not alone on here, Hofficer, so tread carefully

And - no, it wasn't me. I was at home drinking wine. As always. And not driving.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Wow, that sounds quite shocking!

Did they take off again or did they just put the passengers on a coach!!!
No, I'm sure they took out the Ryanair Route Map, and announced "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have arrived to Nottingham."...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by mad_rich
There was an easyJet Airbus that lost a lot of electrical power, including all comms IIRC, a few years ago.

There was no other emergency (although disappearing flight instruments sounds pretty scary to me), so it just continued on its flight to BRS broadcasting its intentions blind. Landed safe enough.

I don't believe there was any wing-waggling, but I could be wrong.

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-245009.html
The AAIB report is here, if anyone fancies a gander.

Some snippets from the narrative:

They were concerned that they might be intercepted by military aircraft, because of the loss of radio communications and that, given the aircraft’s degraded status, they might not be able to follow an interceptor or land at another airfield. Furthermore, they were concerned that if they deviated from the flight-planned route to divert to an en route airfield it might be considered a hostile action, which could lead to offensive measures being taken against their aircraft.
The commander made several attempts to contact ATC by mobile telephone, using two different handsets, but this was unsuccessful, even at a fairly low altitude.
No mention of wing-waggling, though!

Bristol ATC first became aware of the emergency traffic inbound at 1110 hrs when they were called by ATC at West Drayton, who advised that EZY6074 was over the south coast of England in a descent, but not in radio contact.

Bristol ATC took action to notify all the responsible authorities to ensure the airport was prepared to accept the emergency aircraft. A full emergency was declared by the airport at 1116 hrs. All air traffic movements at Bristol Airport were suspended as the aircraft approached. When the aircraft was established on final approach, the tower controller broadcasted blind transmissions giving landing clearance and surface wind information.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice one by Bristol ATC. ^

I can fully understand the Captain's nervousness about the risk of interception, and being unable to follow instructions. However, "Fighter Command" isn't trigger-happy, and I fully expect they would attempt to establish visual signals with the Captain [flying in close formation] to ensure all was [relatively] well.

Anyway, who would hi-jack EZ, except to get off?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 pm

Question about deicing ... can someone explain when and how this becomes a bottleneck for departures at LHR?

Are there published figures/targets on how many aircraft per hour can be deiced?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:21 pm

Most Go-Arounds at LHR are caused by aircraft vacating the runway slowly, and the worst offenders are............
Emirates, I believe.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now one for an ATCO, is ILS voice still available anywhere?
That's a blast from the past - long forgotten and never personally used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.