Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2000 Avios for "Opt-in" to BA Marketing Emails. Targetted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2000 Avios for "Opt-in" to BA Marketing Emails. Targetted?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I think some folks might be missing a key point here from the OP's quote …

Originally Posted by Cruban
On a one time basis 2,000 Avios bonus will be posted to your account upon completion of updating your profile. Avios bonus will be credited to your account 6 to 8 weeks after you have updated your profile. "
What you may have is an unknown unknown, and until end-March it's still going to be an unknown.

Or am I wrong?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just went and opted us both out.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mature Fruitcake, my mother, who is bronze, has had this email - but without the Avios offer.

So she won't opt in.

I've never opted into this either. And as I haven't had the email, perhaps they don't want me!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Nothing for me (status matched to BAEC Gold from bmi, I was opted in); 4000 Avios offer for a family member who was status matched to BAEC Silver from bmi (balance of 0 Avios in her account, not opted in) - of course I signed her up immediately!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by CreativeBill
No, it's just an appalling creative concept as I've only just figured it out too!

I think what they are trying to say is that IF you were signed up to marketing partner offers, they could show you deals like "Earn (X,000) Avios when you (book a partner offer).

They have blacked out the relevant details because you aren't signed up so they can't show you.

I'd be interested to see if the creatives pitched that concept any more succinctly than I have managed to type it.
Ah, I see now!

The fact that it has to be interpreted and explained says it all about the quality of the marketing here.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Well, I got the mail, without any Avios as incentive. Will pass.

By the way, shouldn't you have the "Receive special offers and other news from British Airways" option checked in order to receive this at all? If I haven't opted in, why do they send this offer to me?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by stifle
That email itself is marketing and is probably illegal.
Originally Posted by neuromancer

By the way, shouldn't you have the "Receive special offers and other news from British Airways" option checked in order to receive this at all? If I haven't opted in, why do they send this offer to me?
That may be what stifle was alluding to.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by neuromancer

This is a grey area and companies can use a clause such as the one below under the premise of contacting you with regards to managing your BAEC account.

Originally Posted by BAA privacy policy
If you tell us that you do not wish to receive further direct marketing, you will still receive communications confirming and servicing any bookings you make with us, and, if you are an Executive Club member, we will continue to keep you informed about your membership benefits and entitlements.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:23 am

Would be very interested to work out how they've come up with who gets offered Avios and who doesn't.

I've not received the e-mail and have just unchecked the box for offers.

Maybe it's just a ploy by them to find out who FT'ers are by identifying those of us quickly opting out in anticipation of the offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.