Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 17, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a Galleries First (Flounge) LHR 2014 menu thread here.

This thread gives the current catering options for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in LHR terminals 3 and 5. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders. Passengers flying BA on a First ticket can also use the Concorde Room. The catering supplier was changed on 2 May 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here. For photos: click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights

For the lounges in Gatwick and UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 - see post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover.
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover:
New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - Note from BA Executive Club.
Print Wikipost

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 7, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Considering a "standard" Club World return fare might be in the region of 3-5K to destinations like JNB, LAX, JFK and HKG, 15K would get you only 3-5 returns, which would be (approximately) 720-1,500 tier points for someone based in London.
Yes, now that I think some more I suspect it's a number somewhere in between the two.

Bear in mind a lot of the heavy travellers are from larger corporates, whose organisations negotiate heavy discounts from the 'list' ticket prices based on their volume. And the distribution of tier points will be heavily skewed towards the 1500 TP end, with a long tail towards the 5000 TP end.

Either way, we can but guess
Old May 7, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: ABBA
Irate person filling in the guest book this evening. I had a browse, and was delighted to see someone else had used the word "gloop"

I was planning on booking a full-fare return for next week, coming back at evening time via LHR. Now I've seen the options for dinner I may be choosing U2 instead.

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Yes, now that I think some more I suspect it's a number somewhere in between the two.

Bear in mind a lot of the heavy travellers are from larger corporates, whose organisations negotiate heavy discounts from the 'list' ticket prices based on their volume. And the distribution of tier points will be heavily skewed towards the 1500 TP end, with a long tail towards the 5000 TP end.

Either way, we can but guess
The plural of anecdote does not mean data.

Those earning gold on "discount" economy at 300 for 20tp return in europe will be paying 15 per point.

Full fare WTP tends to be between 2k and 3k, someone hitting JNB will be paying getting up to 17/tp.

And of course people on 10k F fares will be paying 24/tp

On the other end, those on 700 sale fares in T from a region, which I did once, will be getting 3.50/tp.

So that's anywhere from 5k to 35k

Last edited by paulwuk; May 7, 2013 at 2:06 pm
Old May 7, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I renewed my Gold with 9000EUR this year (LONE4 and a Y trip to NYC)...

The guest book looked like that yesterday as well. After a cursory glance, foodwise, I would say it was 99% negative.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Yes, the buffet is pretty naff, but it wasn't great before the changes either
Was it just me or did they reduce the quality of the buffet prior to the switch? I used to quite enjoy the mini steak pies and the chicken options but they seemed to have vanished as of late with only curry and pork belly options??
Old May 7, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Was it just me or did they reduce the quality of the buffet prior to the switch? I used to quite enjoy the mini steak pies and the chicken options but they seemed to have vanished as of late with only curry and pork belly options??
They seemed to run out of a few options a few weeks before the switchover, which is understandable.

The quality of the new buffet is maybe 10% of what it used to be. It turned from nice into unedible.
Old May 7, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Ah OK, thanks - I hadn't been through for a couple of months so wasn't sure how recently things had been reduced. Agree understandable in the last couple of weeks.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Given all the unhappiness at the new catering in the Flounge I wonder if BA are going to respond to it. I'm sure they see 5 tureens full of meat 'n sauce as an enhancement but clearly those in the flounge don't. I doubt Baxter Storey are at fault here, BA management has probably cut the budget for food significantly and they are just giving us what they can afford.

It sure would be nice if Nicci were around for an official response.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Joely
Given all the unhappiness at the new catering in the Flounge I wonder if BA are going to respond to it. I'm sure they see 5 tureens full of meat 'n sauce as an enhancement but clearly those in the flounge don't. I doubt Baxter Storey are at fault here, BA management has probably cut the budget for food significantly and they are just giving us what they can afford.

Meat and sauce would be fine. Few pieces of tasteless "meat" in a watery slush, all has the same synthetic industrial taste. Like something you get from a instant soup thingy. "just add water"...

Anyone who has seen The Matrix. "Eating the same goddamn goop every day"... Thats what it looks and probably tastes like! I'm not a picky eater, but I would describe everything on the buffet as disgusting. And the buffet before I would call rather nice. Thats how big of a downgrade this is.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL PM, IC RA
Originally Posted by Joely
that would be great!
Old May 8, 2013, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T3 GF

Some hot items on the buffet - sausages, bacon, tomatoes.

Menu not visible anywhere, just hiding in the dining area. I asked for kippers and bacon on the side " the bacon is on the buffet, please serve yourself sir"

Oh, and the new uniforms are AWFUL. Prison canteen chic - much like the slops.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dera
The guest book looked like that yesterday as well. After a cursory glance, foodwise, I would say it was 99% negative.
As of last night I counted about 36 entries since the changeover. Now the handwriting of some was a bit difficult to make out, and some were a bit gnomic. But I think there were 27 specific comments about food. Many of them - the most eye catching - said "this is awful", or even "THIS IS AWFUL!!". Plus one comment on the lines that "I am off to Emirates". There were 3 or 4 generally positive but non specific comments. I didn't see a single "I like dish X". The item most asked for was cherry cake / fruit cake - which I find really strange - about 6 comments I would say. Three comments asking for pork belly to return.

To put that in context - there were quite a few angry comments relating to the food under Compass too, though the book didn't go that far back. Also - just like FlyerTalk I guess - you are always going to get the serial whingers making the most weather, the generally OK or mildly positive commentators will generally not go out of their way to say "well it was alright I suppose".
Old May 9, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
I've only been in GF for breakfast since the change, but

- I miss the black pudding : it can't be expensive, and it is something different that people don't often have at home

- The scrambled eggs weren't bad

- The cereal/cold options seem to be a huge step back: no proper muesli, just three types of what looks like cornflakes, and I couldn't find any fruit to put on the cereal other than what seemed to be tinned oranges.

Looking at the pictures of lunch and dinner options I agree they look awful; I always looked forward to the slow cooked short ribs or pork belly. Not good news.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Wow seeing the pictures of the "slop" it is a lot worse than I feared.Looks like the crap served up at my comp 30 years ago, truly dreadful BA
Old May 9, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
For a while, I was willing to think that this ghastly evolution was just a transition issue and that the new caterers were just not 'doing it well', but I was at the LGW F lounge earlier today and it has confirmed to me that instead, this is undoubtedly a very conscious exercise in deterioration and cost cutting. LGW F was always below LHR F but now it is reaching new lows. After breakfast there is NOTHING which is not from the buffet apart from some apparently very dodgy bacon baguettes. Pathetic. The "new" salad buffet is dreadful. The quinoa thing tasted positively vile, the coleslaw was greasy, the couscous salad was lumpy and undercooked with little chickpeas feeling like as many bullets. Disgusting. Cured meat and cheese were ok but just the same as what you would find in GC, quiches were also undercooked with bits of runny egg so gave that a pass. Even the crisps have been 'enhanced' from a choice of four varieties to ONLY ready salted - how idiotic is that? BA, if you are listening, boooohhhhh...
Old May 9, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver Card
I was in the FLounge on the day of the changeover, and collared a BA Manager who was well aware of the complaints (he was even aware that the new white wine bottle holders at the far end are too tall so the wine bottles are stored above the cool air, hence the white wine is warm). The comment book was also full of unhappy comments about the food, most concluding that this was a cost cutting exercise dressed up to look like an enhancement.

I'm willing to give BA the benefit of the doubt when there are teething problems and they are clearly well aware of it, but it seems little has changed in the interveneing week so I'm seriously considering asking for food vouchers so I can go and eat elsewhere. It was pretty grim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.