Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 17, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a Galleries First (Flounge) LHR 2014 menu thread here.

This thread gives the current catering options for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in LHR terminals 3 and 5. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders. Passengers flying BA on a First ticket can also use the Concorde Room. The catering supplier was changed on 2 May 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here. For photos: click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights

For the lounges in Gatwick and UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 - see post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover.
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover:
New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - Note from BA Executive Club.
Print Wikipost

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 5, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Crisps instead of wedges/chips?!
Old May 5, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I have high hopes for the hot buffet. I booked a MAN-LHR-MAN trip just to try it out will post comments tomorrow...
Old May 5, 2013, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Photos from the BaxterStorey Flounge buffets

Here are some photos of the various Flounge buffets.

Breakfast

Hot buffet:

Breakfast:

Rest of the day:

From left to right: chilli con carne, rice, red thai curry, pasta, beef bourguinon, mustard chicken.

On a separate evening (showing the baked potatoes):

Salad and dessert buffet:

New chicken salad breasts

Cake:

Cheese and sliced meats:

The notices by the cheese gave a fairly comprehensive set of information about each of the cheeses on offer.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Old May 5, 2013, 2:08 pm

Hehe, clearly the chili con carne is the most popular selection presentation seem improved from the previous offerings.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the GC buffet looks better than the Flounge. I would say that by the looks of it the flounge buffet has taken a fairly big step backwards.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I have to agree. I miss the proper meat and potato selections. It is quite disappointing! On the plus side, while it took two attempts to get a cheese burger that did actually have cheese on it, when the finally got it right both the burger and chips came out piping hot!
Old May 5, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I have to agree. I miss the proper meat and potato selections. It is quite disappointing! On the plus side, while it took two attempts to get a cheese burger that did actually have cheese on it, the burger and chips came out piping hot!
It would be nice to have an option other than big bowls of meat in sauce. I was quite partial to a plate of salad with the pork belly but it looks like something such as that is no longer possible.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Oh, and top marks for the new dessert selection!
Old May 5, 2013, 11:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Joely
Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the GC buffet looks better than the Flounge. I would say that by the looks of it the flounge buffet has taken a fairly big step backwards.
Well my view is that the Flounge buffet has been broadly maintained or slightly improved. Arguably a bit of a dip on the hot stuff, but the salads and desserts are significantly better. However for GC the buffet is now nearly identical to Flounge (in the photo there were just several dishes of the same product), so a big lift for them, with 3 significant differences: GC doesn't have hot food throughout (apparently); GC gets baked potatoes and ice cream whereas Flounge gets desserts and better cheese (I'll let someone else do the stereotypical inferences); the Flounge breakfast buffet has more comprehensive options. Plus, of course, the Flounge has a waiter order menu.

For Concorde, the changes strike me as broadly neutral. For Domestics, it's a massive improvement.
Old May 6, 2013, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Joely
It would be nice to have an option other than big bowls of meat in sauce. I was quite partial to a plate of salad with the pork belly but it looks like something such as that is no longer possible.
I agree. I do not like the look/sound of the new F lounge offering at all. the hot buffet seems like exactly what I used to get in the GC when I was silver some years ago except that while you used to get a rotation of 3-4 things plus rice and pasta here you seem to get a rotation of 6 things plus rice and pasta. To me, this looks distinctedly less tempting than the former offerings such as short rib or pork belly.

As for the a la carte, again, it has moved to a more sandwichy direction which is not really as tempting to me as the previous offering. I will miss that lovely game terrine of the previous rota which was excellent and in the new one, only the poached salmon sounds like an improvement in the sense of having a fish option. In short, I'm a bit disappointed.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:35 am

Food nr. 1, the burger. Lukewarm, dry, disgusting.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:44 am

Food nr. 2, the buffet. Even worse. They are out of forks, the whole buffet area looks awful. The mustard chicken is runny and awful, the "thai curry" has very nasty texture and completely lacks taste, and the "beef" buorgeois had like 2 pieces of meat in it, and again is rather bland. The rice has a very nasty industrial taste to it. Still hungry, where is the menu...
Old May 6, 2013, 6:44 am

Food nr 3, first edible dish, the salmon.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I sampled the new breakfast buffet choices in the GF lounge at T3 yesterday. The scrambled eggs on my initial foray had been sitting for a long time and were a bit crunchy, but their replacements were both tastier and not nearly as runny as those in the T5 Arrivals lounge buffet, PLUS, I don't recall their being available in the T3 GF lounge buffet previously, so a definite improvement, and the bacon (when it was brought out--it was a rather lengthy wait) was improved, too--very crispy and not at all greasy. The grilled tomatoes did not have any taste, alas.
I already miss the Weight Watchers cookies.

Last edited by rfrost; May 7, 2013 at 8:50 am
Old May 6, 2013, 2:58 pm

Ok so, in the interest of science, I took one for the team and ate everything on the main menu and on the buffet apart from the sandwiches.

I have to say, I am very disappointed with the new offerings. Food quality in the buffet has gone down alot. The food was runny, lacked taste, and had a very nasty "industrial" taste to it. In no way am I a picky eater, I thought the buffet before was very good, but now I couldn't find anything worth eating in it.
I thought I saw someone list chili con carne as a buffet item. I only saw beans sin carne, not sure if that was what it was supposed to be.

The burger was served completely dry and lukewarm. It was inedible.
The salmon was ok, a bit extra salt, and it was actually quite tasty. It was not overcooked, and the crushed potatoes were quite nice.
The chicken was bland and tasteless, another massive disappointment. I had high hopes for this
The cesar salad needs meat! Add chicken or fish, and it could be a winner.

All in all, the whole operation smells very badly of cost cutting dressed up as an improvement. Not pleased.

I will try the sandwiches next time I'm there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.