Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 17, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a Galleries First (Flounge) LHR 2014 menu thread here.

This thread gives the current catering options for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in LHR terminals 3 and 5. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders. Passengers flying BA on a First ticket can also use the Concorde Room. The catering supplier was changed on 2 May 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here. For photos: click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights

For the lounges in Gatwick and UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 - see post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover.
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover:
New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - Note from BA Executive Club.
Print Wikipost

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 3, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by dera
Looking at those pictures makes me dizzy!
What kind of tricks is ba_cityflyer playing on us?!
Old May 3, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by haasha
What kind of tricks is ba_cityflyer playing on us?!
Gravity defying cheese cake is my favourite, kudos to Baxter Storey
Old May 3, 2013, 7:28 pm

They don't do Asian food well there.
They should just serve some British comfort foods and give over.

Maybe they could do a Tikki Masala and just give up on all this quasi-Chinese/Malaysian/Indian "food" that just does not measure up.
Old May 4, 2013, 4:56 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Not very impressed with the current management of the GF lounge at T5.

At around 6.30pm yesterday, lounge was busy, but far from full, yet there was not a single clean wine or champagne glass in the lounge (I did the full round of each drinks station in the lounge!). I asked a member of staff who simply told me they had a shortage of glasses and walked off.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:20 am

Sounds promising...
Old May 4, 2013, 9:47 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
no more light dishes
Old May 4, 2013, 1:04 pm

It all seems a bit reactive here this evening (1900-2000 on Saturday) - wait until all the knives and forks have run out before restocking; wait until all 3 plates of cheese are completely empty before replacing any of them etc.

I'm not sure it bodes well.

Edit: then they ran out of plates... There does seem to be some troubleshooting going on, but it's steady trade rather than flat-out busy in terms of passenger numbers.

Last edited by 328; May 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm
Old May 4, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Any ideas why the buffet items during the day are the same as the GC ones? I appreciate that you have the to order items but surely the buffet should be of a higher standard than GC?
Old May 5, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL FL, AA EXP, MR Titanium, HH Dia, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Melia Plat, Amex Centurion
Unhappy No pastrami, ham or gravadlax

Originally Posted by G_G
no more light dishes
I agree - if you dont want a cooked meal or sandwiches, the option of a quick salad comprising of anything more than rabbit food has sadly gone.....

I really dont see how a reduction in choice provides an "enhanced experience?"

Last edited by PleasureFlyer; May 5, 2013 at 6:02 am
Old May 5, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Was in GF on Friday evening (3rd May) and was able to experience the new catering for the first time. In general, I have to echo the feedback so far. It seems that the new team is not quite up to the job yet; they were running out of champagne glasses (one member of managment was walking around and franatically searching for used glasses) and the Poached salmon was also not available (out of stock).

The buffet options seemed quite meager and looked pathetic IMHO. They tasted fine but certainly not much better than the food by the former caterer. The Beef Bourguinon and the Mustard Chicken was on offer, with two bowls of rice. The Pasta with basil and tomato sauce was rather ordinary and would make more sense in GC than GF. My real complaint is that they only proactively replace the dishes once the bowl/container is nearly empty. Come on!

However, the dessert options have improved quite a lot and are certainly welcome! The Baked Sicilian lemon cheesecake as well as the lime pie were fantastic, well done!

I also ordered from the menu, first the Classic Caesar salad then the Szechuan chicken with wok fried vegetables. The Salad was fine. As mentioned by others before, the portions were rather on the small side. And the little bowls of the chicken dish made it quite a challenge to eat avoiding any stains on a tie Was still hungry so did order the burger too; they were running out of potato wedges and chips werde delivered instead. Nevertheless, the burger really tasted great (and it was warm). Good quality bread as well. So definitely an improvement and this dish has moved from the buttom to the top spot on the list to order

Summing up, I've to say that in general the quality of dishes available has improved (not quite sure about the buffet part, but well). However, I think they should definitely work on the logistics part (running out of food & glasses should not happen) and improve on the availability of light dishes.

By the way, if you are looking for chips, they are no longer available at the usual space in the center of the lounge, by the champagne/wine selection. Instead you have to trek through the lounge to the bar where the bottle of blue label is located.

Let's see how it goes on for the next month but currently I'm still inclined to title this as a reduction in choice.

Some pictures:

Old May 5, 2013, 9:26 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
The Caesars Salad, is this the anorexic-size?
Old May 5, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: BA GGL FL, AA EXP, MR Titanium, HH Dia, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Melia Plat, Amex Centurion
Sad to say....

Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
The Caesars Salad, is this the anorexic-size?
The "reduction" to which several posters have referred is a reduction in "cost" - quite frankly everything has "shrunk" - the portion size, the choice and even the crockery and glasses. Erm - how is all this an "improvement?" If BA management really want to know what lounge guests think about the "enhanced offering" - take a look in the handwritten feedback book in GF......it speaks volumes - and it should make any half interested service provider sit up and think...............but I expect this has all been driven by number crunchers - not cake crunchers like me
Old May 5, 2013, 11:05 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
What prevents you to ask for 3 or 4 portions?
Old May 5, 2013, 1:02 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA burger with sea salt and cracked pepper wedges
Great work - thanks for going to all that effort; but surely this should be potato wedges?
Old May 5, 2013, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andset1191
Great work - thanks for going to all that effort; but surely this should be potato wedges?
One would have thought so, but I'm almost certain that is what it said on the menu. However I've corrected the menu in several other places, and so you, Sir, will be satisfied.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.