Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 17, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a Galleries First (Flounge) LHR 2014 menu thread here.

This thread gives the current catering options for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in LHR terminals 3 and 5. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders. Passengers flying BA on a First ticket can also use the Concorde Room. The catering supplier was changed on 2 May 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here. For photos: click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights

For the lounges in Gatwick and UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 - see post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover.
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover:
New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - Note from BA Executive Club.
Print Wikipost

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 12, 2013, 12:50 pm

I urge everyone to write in and complain. BA have seriously reduced the quality of their flagship frequent flier lounge. A thread on FT will be noticed, but it wont likely change anything.

If all of you Gold cards make strong but balanced complaints there is a chance BA might take notice and improve things.

I'm similar to many here, before T5 and Galleries Lounges, BA was my prime choice. With T5, I always fly BA if I can. Partially because of the quality of Galleries First, knowing that it has always delivered.

We cannot let the bean counters win this one. They have done a good job so far of making BA average again.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by gcuk
Just left LHR Flounge and beef bourguignon could have been offered as a vegetarian option, devoid of any traces of meat. I asked catering staff to refresh the offering but the second batch was much the same. Significant drop in standards compared to the old caterers. Shame on you BA.
It was pretty mediocre in GC as well today.
Old May 12, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, *G, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum, Ritz Gold
The sad thing is that the general consensus here was that things couldn't get much worse than they were under the old caterer, and the assumption was that there would be improvements. We should be careful not to settle for a return to the old standards just because these are worse. The lounge food offerings are in desperate need of an upgrade BEFORE the changeover. They need to fix this and fast.
Old May 12, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Domestic travel pretty much a standard offering. The only differentiator for BA was the lounge. Just booked next domestic on Virgin's new Little Red to try their offering. May even resort to Easyjet. Can buy a decent steak in the terminal on the way home for the fare difference.
Old May 12, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Petrus
I urge everyone to write in and complain. BA have seriously reduced the quality of their flagship frequent flier lounge. A thread on FT will be noticed, but it wont likely change anything.

If all of you Gold cards make strong but balanced complaints there is a chance BA might take notice and improve things.

I'm similar to many here, before T5 and Galleries Lounges, BA was my prime choice. With T5, I always fly BA if I can. Partially because of the quality of Galleries First, knowing that it has always delivered.

We cannot let the bean counters win this one. They have done a good job so far of making BA average again.
+1 ^ . Having sampled both LHR T5 GF and LGW GF each at breakfast and "all day dining" times, I can only whole-heartedly support this initiative. I have done so myself using the link provided and being quite specific and descriptive about the aspects I am missing or the parts I consider negative evolutions. I will post if I receive any answer but would suggest that as many people as possible channel their impressions to BA.

I was already disappointed by the evolution of CE catering, and particularly by the extension - instead of obviously needed deletion - of the 'extended breakfast' (sorry "brunch", probably the only fully-cold brunch on the planet!) and 'afternoon tea' (hear sandwich and scone), but this is even (much) worse as it will affect all of our travel regardless of destination, time, and class of travel. A very sad change.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Feedback sent. I was usually happy with the offerings before, but the new stuff is just disgusting and unacceptable.
Old May 12, 2013, 7:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Petrus
... I'm similar to many here, before T5 and Galleries Lounges, BA was my prime choice. With T5, I always fly BA if I can. Partially because of the quality of Galleries First, knowing that it has always delivered...
Interesting, a friend has just emailed a copy of an email she has received amending their travel policy. I have permission to post it here with certain identifying information removed:

"Travel Policy Update - British Airways

British Airways have continued with the largely unpopular food service times and meal options that were introduced with the Winter 2012 timetable. We hoped this would have been revised for the Summer 2013 timetable but reports indicate this is not the case.

To make matters worse BA have recently changed the caterer for their Business Class Lounges in the UK and that has resulted in the provision of very limited food options for much of the day. Those who have First Class Lounge access at Heathrow have also reported a significant reduction in the availability and quality of the food offering since the installation of the new caterer.

Because of the continuing deterioration of the BA product, with immediate affect the Travel Policy for BA short-haul flights is being amended. All intra-European flights on BA must now be booked in Economy Class (Euro Traveller). The only exception to this Policy are flights over 3 hours scheduled to depart (1) at or before 09:29 or (2) those scheduled to depart at or after 17:00.

As BA no longer provide adequate refreshments or sustenance (either inflight or in their lounges) we are authorising (in lieu of Business Class travel) a subsistence allowance of up to 40/50 per BA flight for food and drink. This allowance should be claimed via your expense account (supported by receipts) in the normal way.

The Travel Policy for other carriers is unaffected by this Update. Non-BA flights may still be booked in Business Class at any time of day according to existing policy.

In light of the downgrading of Lounge facilities we are monitoring the situation and will review our long-haul BA Travel Policy over the coming weeks."

I think this says a great deal.

BA, I hope you are listening!
Old May 12, 2013, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
As BA no longer provide adequate refreshments or sustenance (either inflight or in their lounges) we are authorising (in lieu of Business Class travel) a subsistence allowance of up to 40/50 per BA flight for food and drink.
That's a very generous allowance.

I hope her job isn't funded by taxpayers money.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
That's a very generous allowance.

I hope her job isn't funded by taxpayers money.
Decent hot lunch at an airport restaurant, 25 for 2 courses. 10 for a glass of wine. I don't think it seems excessive.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I agree with the general observations regarding the Flounge offerings since the catering change. I was at LHR on 3rd May and three things compelled me to write to BA and complain:

1. Lack of glasses - there were basically none. Last time this happened I complained at the time and was told that I should go to M&S to buy some. Apparently this was a tongue-in-cheek admission of the lack of glassware and cutlery others have observed.

2. Absymal food offerings - the food at the buffet looked old, stale, dry and totally unappealing. I decided to order from the menu but...

3. The ordered food didn't arrive. I didn't have time to chase as I had to go and catch my plane.

When I spoke to the BA staff at the entrance I was told that they had been inundated with complaints and that I should definitely write in. It will be interesting to see what BA have to say. As it stands, the "enhancements" seem hard to find...
Old May 13, 2013, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Interesting, a friend has just emailed a copy of an email she has received amending their travel policy. I have permission to post it here with certain identifying information removed:

"Travel Policy Update - British Airways

British Airways have continued with the largely unpopular food service times and meal options that were introduced with the Winter 2012 timetable. We hoped this would have been revised for the Summer 2013 timetable but reports indicate this is not the case.

To make matters worse BA have recently changed the caterer for their Business Class Lounges in the UK and that has resulted in the provision of very limited food options for much of the day. Those who have First Class Lounge access at Heathrow have also reported a significant reduction in the availability and quality of the food offering since the installation of the new caterer.

Because of the continuing deterioration of the BA product, with immediate affect the Travel Policy for BA short-haul flights is being amended. All intra-European flights on BA must now be booked in Economy Class (Euro Traveller). The only exception to this Policy are flights over 3 hours scheduled to depart (1) at or before 09:29 or (2) those scheduled to depart at or after 17:00.

As BA no longer provide adequate refreshments or sustenance (either inflight or in their lounges) we are authorising (in lieu of Business Class travel) a subsistence allowance of up to 40/50 per BA flight for food and drink. This allowance should be claimed via your expense account (supported by receipts) in the normal way.

The Travel Policy for other carriers is unaffected by this Update. Non-BA flights may still be booked in Business Class at any time of day according to existing policy.

In light of the downgrading of Lounge facilities we are monitoring the situation and will review our long-haul BA Travel Policy over the coming weeks."

I think this says a great deal.

BA, I hope you are listening!
This is the second impact on company travel policy reported here, it owuld be great if you could convince your friend to ask her company to send a copy of the new policy to BA (and other people in similar situations too). While I think that the accumulation of individual protest messages has value, changes in company policies are likely to make BA freak out quite a bit as its results are more guaranteed than the "I won't fly with you as much if..." etc. And I agree that 40 is a generous additional meal allowance but I suspect that had to be counted generously to ensure that the employees themselves did not feel that it was a mere cost cutting measure on their company's part. From that point of view, again, the policy you quote is particularly relevant in that it explicitly says that travel on other airlines is unaffected!

I have also made my first decision explicitly consequential to the changes in F lounge offering. It's really sad, but purely lounge-wise, I now actually prefer flying Skyteam from T4 than BA and I have now booked my forthcoming trip to the US in J on DL rather than BA. I like the DL J cabin and food better anyway so far tended to choose BA for a mixture of the better miles, keeping status, lounges and supper service on the way back. Now, cabin, food and lounge are enough to tip the balance DL way.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: Meh
This is very poor on BA's part. One of the key reasons I keep up my gold status with BA is that I was sure of good quality food when transiting through LHR. If I have to use a restaurant at the airport instead of the lounge I do not see the point in remaining loyal to BA.

This week I go to BOM on the 21.45 flight. I need to eat a decent dinner beforehand as I do not fancy an 11pm dinner. Is there a good option at the airport?
Old May 13, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
A colleague has just phoned me in the office. He does not use FT or any kind of FF forum, and I haven't mentioned the GF changes. He basically just likened the food to that of an upmarket Servisair lounge.

He actually made a good point: If EK can offer a decent buffet with free pour champagne for their Silver card holders at DXB, why can't BA do the same for their Golds at LHR?

Food for thought...
Old May 13, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
A colleague has just phoned me in the office. He does not use FT or any kind of FF forum, and I haven't mentioned the GF changes. He basically just likened the food to that of an upmarket Servisair lounge.

He actually made a good point: If EK can offer a decent buffet with free pour champagne for their Silver card holders at DXB, why can't BA do the same for their Golds at LHR?

Food for thought...
It's all well and good him calling you but did he call or tell BA about it?
Old May 13, 2013, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have also made my first decision explicitly consequential to the changes in F lounge offering. It's really sad, but purely lounge-wise, I now actually prefer flying Skyteam from T4 than BA and I have now booked my forthcoming trip to the US in J on DL rather than BA. I like the DL J cabin and food better anyway so far tended to choose BA for a mixture of the better miles, keeping status, lounges and supper service on the way back. Now, cabin, food and lounge are enough to tip the balance DL way.
Now you see I hate T4. It's part of the reason I came to BA from EY. If GF goes downhill, however, then I'll put up with T4 -ultimately the lounge isn't that bad and the food (cooked to order) is pretty decent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.