Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 17, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a Galleries First (Flounge) LHR 2014 menu thread here.

This thread gives the current catering options for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in LHR terminals 3 and 5. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders. Passengers flying BA on a First ticket can also use the Concorde Room. The catering supplier was changed on 2 May 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here. For photos: click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights

For the lounges in Gatwick and UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 - see post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover.
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover:
New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - Note from BA Executive Club.
Print Wikipost

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 10, 2013, 4:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Methinks someone should invite Gregg and John in for a judging.

BA have just put up a new Facebook quiz, the answers to which are a choice of :
a) Blue, Bronze, Silver, Gold
b) Red, White, Blue, Gold
c) Yellow, Red, Blue, Purple
and the question, it seems, could be "Name, in order, the colours of the gloop ponds on the 'new, enhanced' Flounge buffet".
Old May 10, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the posts, PleasureFlyer!

Sounds very poor

Just about to book a T5 departure for a few weeks time. Hoping that some improvements will have been seen by then.......
Old May 10, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Tell us how we did today......

This site may be useful for some constructive feedback:

https://ecustomeropinions.com/survey...6542&data=DATA
Old May 11, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by PleasureFlyer

I am struggling to see how what is a radical reduction in choice and quality is somehow "spun" as a great enhancement about which we should all be ecstatic......
Has BA spun it as an enhancement? I haven't seen much publicity about it.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL FL, AA EXP, MR Titanium, HH Dia, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Melia Plat, Amex Centurion
Spin dryer

There were leaflets/flyers left around in the Flounge telling us how it was an enhancement. I daresay they didnt publicise it any further than the hallowed confines of the Flounge in case GC inhabitants became incandescent with jealousy.....
Old May 11, 2013, 6:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There were leaflets/flyers left around in the Flounge telling us how it was an enhancement.
The full text of this leaflet, including the E word, is to be found here:

First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 / Post 2
Old May 11, 2013, 6:50 am

Going back to GF next weekend so it will be interesting to see how bad the enhancements are.
Come summer I'll need to book 20 weekly returns for the winter, but if Galleries First really has become that much worse as is reported here I may book with a different carrier.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Petrus
Going back to GF next weekend so it will be interesting to see how bad the enhancements are.
Come summer I'll need to book 20 weekly returns for the winter, but if Galleries First really has become that much worse as is reported here I may book with a different carrier.
It would be good to share that decision with BA in the event that is what happens.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
if Galleries First really has become that much worse as is reported here I may book with a different carrier.
Is the alternative a good one? My predicament is in a way similar (but without a good alternative): I have essentially weekly flights at least and while I could be tempted to try, say, the poached salmon once, I can't see myself eating poached salmon every weeks till the next food cycle starts! The ugly buffet is out of the question for me, hot beef sandwich is fine as a one off but I have a strong suspicion the bread will be bad which kills the point of a sandwich (and I am not a big sandwich eater anyway), the burger was always poor and I can't imagine it becoming any better. So essentially, I used to 'vary' between the 4 or 5 decent mains + occasionally the one from the buffet while now I can only see one remotely tempting option. I used to like some of the salads - such as the tsatsiki, the potato salad or the beetroot one, but now they are all disappeared and been replaced by a rather unpleasant selection, and even the desserts seem to have gone down. And drinking Bollinger without eating is probably not a good idea
Old May 12, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Order menu items if the buffet is so poor. If everyone did this the kitchen would soon become overrun. Surely that's a sure sign to BA that something needs to change; previously 10% of people ordered off the menu, suddenly it becomes 70%.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Order menu items if the buffet is so poor. If everyone did this the kitchen would soon become overrun. Surely that's a sure sign to BA that something needs to change; previously 10% of people ordered off the menu, suddenly it becomes 70%.
Yes but that's the thing, the menu has become really quite a bit poorer too!
Old May 12, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
When normally loyal BA customers start to look at other carriers because the FLounge no longer offers any significant advantages as the food is so bad as to be inedible, BA really should sit up and take notice.

Quality food in the FLounge is one of the key reasons that I maintain Gold. As I always fly J or F, lounge access alone is not an issue for me whatever carrier I choose.

If this debacle is not sorted out soon, then I too will start looking at alternatives. I am certainly not opting for LHR flights because of the superior facilities any more.

I have been a member of BAEC since 1996 and Gold for seven years, so normally I am pretty loyal. However, the catering situation now is worse than at any previous time that I can remember. The F Lounges in T1 and T4 were not great, but at least what they did offer was reasonable quality. The move to T5 was a big improvement. Now we seem to be back to a position worse than it was in 2007. Sad, very Sad.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
The Flounge is a big reason that I choose BA over EY at the moment. Considering EY send a car for me to take me to/from LHR, so I don't pay for parking, it's quite a compliment that currently I'd rather drive to T5 and park to fly BA. I do this as I really like the T5 check in and security process (usually), and the Flounge is great for me to work before a flight, and the food and drink is decent.

Change that, and I'll be straight back to EY for my Eastbound flights. My new job have also said that they want to book all my flights for exhibitions in the next sale (so 7-10 J returns) to save money. If BA haven't sorted the Flounge by the time the next sale comes around, EY will see a good portion of my 2014 flying.

Surely if there are a few more people like myself, it's worth a few extra quid to ensure the catering is up to scratch, BA?
Old May 12, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
The buffet is very poor compared to what it was pre Baxter whatsit days. Why would one use the buffet if there is a menu? Well - it is quicker - and many OP's have often complained about waiting too long for menu items. It is now impossible to have a decent meat and/or fish salad from the buffet, that is unless you want heart attack salami.

There is no pastrami, no gravadlax, no selection of different bags of crisps
, no fruits of the forest fruit compote at breakfast, even the blxxdy pine nuts have vanished as well!! And, not to mention, dare I say it, the availability of the....cherry and sultana cake. Yes, yes - I know some of these items will give me a heart attack as well - but at least I will die full and happy!

I certainly agree that the food is better than the LH Senator lounge, sadly that is not much of a recommendation since their offerings are quite frankly completely dire and mostly inedible from my experience.

It is true that as frequent flyers we often end up eating rubbish; and the current Flounge offerings are certainly making the grade in that respect...

I am struggling to see how what is a radical reduction in choice and quality is somehow "spun" as a great enhancement about which we should all be ecstatic......
Wholeheartedly agree ^ Is it really worth reducing the choice of crisps from four flavours to one and for that one to be lightly salted!? Is that anyone's first choice? Even if this saved a few pennies is it worth it? I do not want to order off the menu while waiting for my flight, I want the choice and convenience of the relatively high quality choice of meats (e.g. Pastrami), salads, hot foods and snacks available prior to this change. This is an awful downgrade by BA and one that really puts me off the whole T5 transfer option. I really hope BA sees sense on this "enhancement"
Old May 12, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Just left LHR Flounge and beef bourguignon could have been offered as a vegetarian option, devoid of any traces of meat. I asked catering staff to refresh the offering but the second batch was much the same. Significant drop in standards compared to the old caterers. Shame on you BA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.