Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013

Old May 17, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread is archived - there is a Galleries First (Flounge) LHR 2014 menu thread here.

This thread gives the current catering options for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in LHR terminals 3 and 5. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders. Passengers flying BA on a First ticket can also use the Concorde Room. The catering supplier was changed on 2 May 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here. For photos: click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights

For the lounges in Gatwick and UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 - see post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover.
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover:
New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - Note from BA Executive Club.
Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: GGL
I am off to the C gate. Hoorah for Starbucks.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
A dire hot offering right now. Low on things and it all looks rather unappetising. Good selection of cakes and sweets though.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by HilFly
I don't know that the whining on FT is going to be taken seriously. Far better to complain early and complain often, directly to BA.
Complaining on FT does get noticed and has been a key driver for previous BA "enhancement" reversals, like the backtrack on CE seating.

However, I fully agree that direct and frequent complaints both to the lounge manager and to CR will also be very effective.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:12 am

Could anyone please report on the status of beverages selection? On another thread it seemed that 2005 Taittinger was replaced with NV. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I fear this might be the first step towards a massive downgrade of the drinks selection...
Old May 10, 2013, 10:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by andrew72
Agreed. Complain to the lounge manager, and complain to CR. I'm not sure that complaining on here will do much good.
Well I would urge you not to merely complain, or rather to do so constructively. E.g. this is good, that's OK, could we please have X back too? I am assured that this thread is being read by the powers that be, and I'm also giving feedback based on what I am reading. I will be writing something more formal in a week or two and I'll put the edited highlights online.

It would help a bit if those passing comments could give precise dates and times of their visits (which many FT'ers have done).

I have been repeatedly assured that cost reduction is not part of this changeover, but reducing complexity is. Whether we really needed four types of Kettle Chips as opposed to one, for example. The fastest way to ensure the complaint is picked up is to write something in the visitors' book towards the left of the buffet; my personal suspicion is that customer service complaints will get bundled and processed out, though hopefully not in the case of GGL webforms.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Whether we really needed four types of Kettle Chips as opposed to one, for example.
I dislike plain crisps, but that's naturally the one they've chosen. They are pretty fattening though, so it's good that I won't be eating them any more.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Whether we really needed four types of Kettle Chips as opposed to one, for example.
Does choice = complexity? It so happens that in Britain more than anywhere else, everyone have got their tastes in crisps. And the same goes for teas, wines and more. I would argue that there would be a certain paradox in moving the CW offering to three different types of champagnes and the CW breakfasts on three possible formulas (as per the 'experiments' of last Autumn) on the grounds of "increasing choice" and moving down from a choice of four types of Kettle crisps to "one size fits all" lightly salted on the grounds of "decreasing complexity". The two are very much the two sides of the same coin and I would certainly side with more choice rather than less. Of course, increasing quality would be a high goal too but my personal experience with the new offering - now once LGW and once LHR T5F is that quality has effectively decreased rather than increased with the recent change.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by lazerphant
Could anyone please report on the status of beverages selection? On another thread it seemed that 2005 Taittinger was replaced with NV. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I fear this might be the first step towards a massive downgrade of the drinks selection...
Just sipping on a glass now and I'm pleased to say its 2005 and quite delicious
Old May 10, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.

I have been repeatedly assured that cost reduction is not part of this changeover, but reducing complexity is. Whether we really needed four types of Kettle Chips as opposed to one, for example.
What an absolute load of twaddle it's perfectly clear this is all cost driven shame on you BA.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL
My first time in T5 GF this week and nothing had really changed since last Friday, apart from the introduction of the jacket potatoes! Still very disappointed about the lack of decent buffet options and the buffet desserts are being rationed today. On the bright side, the cheese burger was quite delicious and, although not hot this time, was definitely warm. Sadly not served with a smile, but hey ho, can't have everythin. Have just discovered some lemon biscuits in a jar and they are amazing!

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; May 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm
Old May 10, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL FL, AA EXP, MR Titanium, HH Dia, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Melia Plat, Amex Centurion
Still no pastrami....and no cake till afternoon

What a ridiculous set up; I am fed up of asking for cake in a morning (how did Marie Antoinnette manage when she flew BA) - no cake till afternoon - IT IS AN AIRPORT - PEOPLE WANT DIFFERENT FOOD AT DIFFERENT TIMES - can BA hear that? I somehow doubt it...

A rather officious functionary told me that "Cake is only served in an afternoon." This is truly pathetic - and quite clearly a penny pinching money saver. "Nothing is served in packets anymore" he told me with great glee. Adios to the Walkers Cherry and Sultana Cake...:-( I said - sadly my wit was lost on him.

Let's come to the biscuit jars....hmmmm - have you seen them??? A harbouring ground of mucky (Northern English - do forgive me) hands - yes boys and girls - I have seen hands diving into the jars....urgh.....such is the price of saving a few packets of biscuits....

Yes - another money saving idea from some bright spark who is sat in a BA office and has not asked paying customers what they want. (Well they probably dont actually care anyway - it is all about saving money)

The standard of the buffet is truly disgusting; the hot food resembles how one may imagine wallpaper paste may taste. In my opinion it certainly doesnt taste like what it is supposed to be.

Any "nay sayers" can disagree but I am amazed that things have sunk to this truly appalling level.

I hope that somebody at BA reads our forum - there is little point in writing to them - to get some trite reply written by somebody who hasnt even been near the lounge in the first place!

In my opinion this whole change is a disgrace; there was nothing wrong with Compass -except from BA's point of view; and BA clearly want to save money.

Enhancement it is not...........
Old May 10, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
So for those attending the Taste of London FvdP is normally present, I suggest that he is clearly informed of what a shambles this is. I will be attending and last year had a 15 or so minute chat with him hope to do the same again this year.
Old May 10, 2013, 1:38 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

I sent in a quite scathing email today to CR. I will see what response they give.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:23 pm

Just ate the burger (good - no cheese but added Stilton myself), and the chinese chicken (also good). Buffet looks poor. Congealed trays of unrecognisable foodstuff. But there is a menu, so why would you?

Don't know if I will complain yet. Truth is, moving from the LH Sen lounge food offering this is still better. Fine dining? No. Passable food in an emergency - yes. The menu items are okay to good. And let's face it - frequent flyers eat rubbish all the time.
Old May 10, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL FL, AA EXP, MR Titanium, HH Dia, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Melia Plat, Amex Centurion
Poor buffet

The buffet is very poor compared to what it was pre Baxter whatsit days. Why would one use the buffet if there is a menu? Well - it is quicker - and many OP's have often complained about waiting too long for menu items. It is now impossible to have a decent meat and/or fish salad from the buffet, that is unless you want heart attack salami.

There is no pastrami, no gravadlax, no selection of different bags of crisps, no fruits of the forest fruit compote at breakfast, even the blxxdy pine nuts have vanished as well!! And, not to mention, dare I say it, the availability of the....cherry and sultana cake. Yes, yes - I know some of these items will give me a heart attack as well - but at least I will die full and happy!

I certainly agree that the food is better than the LH Senator lounge, sadly that is not much of a recommendation since their offerings are quite frankly completely dire and mostly inedible from my experience.

It is true that as frequent flyers we often end up eating rubbish; and the current Flounge offerings are certainly making the grade in that respect...

I am struggling to see how what is a radical reduction in choice and quality is somehow "spun" as a great enhancement about which we should all be ecstatic......

Last edited by PleasureFlyer; May 11, 2013 at 11:45 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.