Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger with a broken arm in Exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
What type of exit/aircraft?
A320 (I think) with overwing exits of the throw out variety. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me and was handled very well by the crew who moved me to another aisle seat.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
A320 (I think) with overwing exits of the throw out variety. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me and was handled very well by the crew who moved me to another aisle seat.
Indeed... And was correctly done.

The main thing which is being confused in this whole thread is that the OP was referring to an A321. The emergency exit on the A321 are different, and are "crewed", which changes things when it comes to exit row requirements.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lite
Many moons ago we used to have an acronym for customers who couldn't be sat by self-help emergency exits called CODPIES;

C - Children
O - Obese passengers
D - Deportees and Disabilities
P - Pregnant and Prisoners
I - Infants on laps
E - Elderly
S - Sick
What is BA's policy on elderly people in self-help exit rows? I'm travelling on a 319 next week with my father and his wife (aged 72 and 76) and the exit row is currently free. They are super fit for their age and still go on long walks and cycle rides so no mobility issues. Would their age per se be a bar to them sitting in this row? I don't want to choose it and have them booted out of it upon boarding. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
As long as they don't require assistance at the airport it's fine.

Speaking from experience traveling with my mother who is much less fit. Only when we started requiring wheelchair assistance at airports it became impossible.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by britenbsas
What is BA's policy on elderly people in self-help exit rows? I'm travelling on a 319 next week with my father and his wife (aged 72 and 76) and the exit row is currently free. They are super fit for their age and still go on long walks and cycle rides so no mobility issues. Would their age per se be a bar to them sitting in this row? I don't want to choose it and have them booted out of it upon boarding. Any advice would be appreciated.
Basically can you father or his wife operate, in difficult conditions (darkness, smoke) the emergency exit door on their own? It's a bit heavy, though not overwhelmingly so, but it's bulky and awkward, like a big sack of potatoes. On the other hand, if there was an emergency, people often tend to discover extra powers that come from the adrenaline pumping around.

That's the common sense reply, the cabin crew will have to make that judgement too. I have very occasionally - including last week - seen elderly people moved from the emergency row, but never with any objections, indeed the moved passengers seemed to be relieved not to have the responsibility. I've also seen people over 60 being moved into the row, presumably because they did look up for the job.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Years ago I was on a United flight from DEN-PHX. While at the gate area, another passenger had a panic attack. Screaming, crying etc...EMS had to check her out. They ended up moving her from the back of the 757 to the 2R exit row next to me. I said to the f/a "this woman had a panic attack at the gate because she was going to get on a plane, is she really okay to sit here?". The f/a said "all we can do is ask if they're willing and able to sit here" and shrugged it off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.