Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger with a broken arm in Exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
The former... I don't tend to rip my clothes off in public...
You're correctly worried that passengers might stop and stare in admiration rather than evacuate the plane. Very sensible attitude to take, and I assume you keep your identity secret to prevent autograph hunters chasing you.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
Originally Posted by oxon flyer
for those of who thought this would be another thread about the robustness of ba's onboard furniture, a i have updated the thread title. /mod
√√√√√ :d:d:d
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:51 pm

It's pretty difficult operating the doors with two hands - trying to swinging open with one hand while holding onto the grab handle with the other hand. I am sure regulations do indeed allow a person with a broken arm in an exit row, but I'm nevertheless surprised. After all, the crew member at the door may not be in a condition to erase the door after an incident.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
It's pretty difficult operating the doors with two hands - trying to swinging open with one hand while holding onto the grab handle with the other hand. I am sure regulations do indeed allow a person with a broken arm in an exit row, but I'm nevertheless surprised. After all, the crew member at the door may not be in a condition to erase the door after an incident.
Well as I mentioned earlier in this thread, you cannot sit in an exit if you are handicapped and whether you consider an arm in a sling as handicapped is really down to the ground staff and cabin crew to decide on the day.

Most aircraft doors open at high speed when armed in automatic, as a gas bottle propels the door open, and these doors would only need to be pushed or pulled open if this system failed. Also the slide deploys automatically at high speed and the manual inflation handle at the base of the door would only need to be pulled, in the event that the slide did not inflate.

I hope that puts your mind at rest in the awful event that your crew member was incapacitated. Heaven forbid!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Well as I mentioned earlier in this thread, you cannot sit in an exit if you are handicapped and whether you consider an arm in a sling as handicapped is really down to the ground staff and cabin crew to decide on the day.
I'd go by dictionary

a physical or mental disability that results in partial or total inability to perform social, occupational or other normal everyday activities

and an arm in a sling definitely meets that criteria imo

It is unlikely that I will find this situation, but if I did I would say something same as I have done when seeing those which are definitely not permitted.... those under 12
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I'd go by dictionary

a physical or mental disability that results in partial or total inability to perform social, occupational or other normal everyday activities

and an arm in a sling definitely meets that criteria imo

It is unlikely that I will find this situation, but if I did I would say something same as I have done when seeing those which are definitely not permitted.... those under 12
Well that may be the case but some people wear a sling just to rest their arm and aid recovery. The arm may actualy work perfectly well.

As with a lot of issues, we don't know the exact details of this case and as I was not on this flight and am unable to speak with this passenger or look at his arm, it is not possible for me to make an accurate assessment about whether this person was OK to sit at the door or not.

I am sure that the cabin crew member on the day will have correctly assesed the situation.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well that may be the case but some people wear a sling just to rest their arm and aid recovery. The arm may actualy work perfectly well.

As with a lot of issues, we don't know the exact details of this case and as I was not on this flight and am unable to speak with this passenger or look at his arm, it is not possible for me to make an accurate assessment about whether this person was OK to sit at the door or not.

I am sure that the cabin crew member on the day will have correctly assesed the situation.
I've been on a flight where someone was asked to move because they might not have met the criteria for sitting there. Wasn't a BA flight but they came over and asked if he could perform all the actions that may be required of him in an emergency. The bloke said something and he was then moved to another seat, but his arms looked fine to me.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've been on a flight where someone was asked to move because they might not have met the criteria for sitting there. Wasn't a BA flight but they came over and asked if he could perform all the actions that may be required of him in an emergency. The bloke said something and he was then moved to another seat, but his arms looked fine to me.
Perhaps he replied in Serbo-Croat?

Sorry if that sounds frivolous [well, obviously it does] but that's for the CC to analyse across a range of criteria. That's why they check. They usually check me in 63B to ensure I'm compus mentis - not failed the test yet.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Perhaps he replied in Serbo-Croat?

Sorry if that sounds frivolous [well, obviously it does] but that's for the CC to analyse across a range of criteria. That's why they check. They usually check me in 63B to ensure I'm compus mentis - not failed the test yet.
No idea but whatever he said he obviously didn't meet the requirements that the crew were expecting. He may have said he wasn't willing to help in the event of an emergency, who knows?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: ABBA
A broken arm does not stop you from sitting in an exit row.

If this was a self help exit that required the door to be lifted, like an overwing exit, I think the cabin crew would ask the passenger to move but this is a proper functioning door. A passenger with a broken leg could not sit at an exit row because this could cause an obstruction but a broken arm does not cause an obstruction and a door can be opened with one hand plus a crew member sits at this door to open it in an emergency.
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
At an exit which has a crew member responsible for it, then no, it is absolutely fine.

If it were the over wind SELF HELP exits on an A320 or A319, then yes, it would not be allowed.
Thanks, fascinating.

I found the requirements
In the unlikely event of an evacuation you will be expected to assist in the opening of the emergency door.
In accordance with CAA requirements, the following categories of passengers cannot be allocated an emergency exit seat:
Children under 12 and infants.
Passengers who are unable to reach, open, lift and throw out the exit door in an emergency.
Passengers who because of physical stature, age or sickness have difficulty in moving quickly.
Passengers who are unable to understand and carry out instructions given in English.
Passengers who are travelling with anyone who would require their assistance in the event of an emergency.
Passengers who are either substantially blind or substantially deaf, to the extent that they might not easily understand printed or verbal instructions given.
If you do not meet the criteria you will be moved to alternative seat.

The boy in question was particularly annoying though -- getting his IFE out to start with, which the cabin crew put away (manual safety briefing), then doing it again while we were taxiing. His mother was refusing to have her bags stowed ("I didn't realise it was an exit row"). Of course the bags had to be stored up in CW due to the ET overheads being full (even with 30 empty seats).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Thanks, fascinating.

I found the requirements

The boy in question was particularly annoying though -- getting his IFE out to start with, which the cabin crew put away (manual safety briefing), then doing it again while we were taxiing. His mother was refusing to have her bags stowed ("I didn't realise it was an exit row"). Of course the bags had to be stored up in CW due to the ET overheads being full (even with 30 empty seat).
OK but the bit about throwing the exit out refers to an overwing plug type exit that requires you to lift the exit out. I think ba.com cannot tell the dufference.This was a full door exit, although a lot of the restrictions are similar. How old was this boy, he has to be over 12 to sit at any exit door.

Apart from this annoying family, how was the flight. Ok I hope?

Last edited by Littlegirl; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:40 am
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ABBA

Apart from this annoying family, how was the flight. Ok I hope?
Better than the overnight flight, however
* Still jabbed in the back -- the only way to control IFE is by jabbing the passenger in front
* When watching old films on IFE, there is a stupid button which converts the correct 4x3 film and stretches it to the entire screen, distorting the film and making it unwatchable. Not a problem (just don't push the button), but
* Stress on boarding due to the lack of overhead storage. When the cabin crew decide to bring enormous suitcases onboard it doesn't help.
* Seats are far closer together than in WTP, even when it's a teenager next to you. Personal space in WTP is just so much better.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying OS with a plastered arm I was asked to move from the exit row.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Flying OS with a plastered arm I was asked to move from the exit row.
What type of exit/aircraft?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Stress on boarding due to the lack of overhead storage. When the cabin crew decide to bring enormous suitcases onboard it doesn't help.
Our cabin baggage falls within the same rules for passengers... How "massive" was the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.