Passenger with a broken arm in Exit row

Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The information being posted does seem to be contrary to what the CAA says

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...7&pageid=12706

Originally Posted by CAA
Seats by emergency exits

Some passengers may not be permitted to sit in a seat row next to an emergency exit. This is because if the emergency exit is needed, it is important the exit can be opened and the aircraft evacuated as quickly as possible.

The following passengers are among those who should not be allocated, or directed to, seats by emergency exits:
Passengers with physical or mental impairment or disability to the extent that they would have difficulty in moving quickly if asked to do so.
Passengers who have significant sight or hearing impairment to the extent that it might be difficult for them to respond to instructions quickly.
Passengers who, because of age or sickness, have difficulty in moving quickly.
Passengers who, because of physical size, have difficulty in moving quickly.
Children (whether accompanied or not) and infants.
Passengers travelling with animals
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
On an aircraft where all the exits are manned by a crew member, yes. There is no restriction.

On an aircraft (such as an A319) which has emergency exits which are NOT manned by a crew member, then no. You would not be permitted to occupy a seat in the row directly adjacent to the emergency exit.
That's why I was wanting to know which seat 20D was on that particular aircraft.

Anyway thanks to BA6501 I now know there aren't any exits over the wing on that aircraft so the guy with the sling was okay.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Doesn't say anything about an arm in a sling, though. Sorry, Dave, what's your point?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Joely
I notice you're going to be on the 787, will we all have to state that we are fit and able to operate a fire extinguisher?
Nope... Not your responsibility... I will have one strapped to my leg on the 787 anyways...
Will you be carrying sealant for fuel line repairs?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Originally Posted by Joely
I notice you're going to be on the 787, will we all have to state that we are fit and able to operate a fire extinguisher?
Nope... Not your responsibility... I will have one strapped to my leg on the 787 anyways...
Or a business card for Autoglass?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The information being posted does seem to be contrary to what the CAA says

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...7&pageid=12706
Would you care to elaborate on which part you believe myself and my colleague are contradicting?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpurMan
Oh yes... It is amazing what you can fit in those inflight waistcoat pockets!

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Or a business card for Autoglass?
Only if it is Gavin that comes...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Many moons ago we used to have an acronym for customers who couldn't be sat by self-help emergency exits called CODPIES;

C - Children
O - Obese passengers
D - Deportees and Disabilities
P - Pregnant and Prisoners
I - Infants on laps
E - Elderly
S - Sick

On the Airbus 320 family, the self-help exits as described would be the overwing exits as there isn't a crew member sat there.

Front row bulkhead seats where there is a galley or a fixed bulkhead between the seat row and the door and where there is a crew member sat next to the exit are not classed as an emergency exit row. Obviously with Row 21 on the Midhaul A321 there isn't a bulkhead or galley between the row and the seats, but there is a crew member who is sat at Doors 3 and would be responsible for those doors. In an unplanned emergency, you don't want to have anyone who could cause an obstruction to the crew sat in that row, however it's open for debate as to how much a sling would impede an evacuation when there is a crew member sat by that door.

Having just come back from CAI in the last few days on the Midhaul Airbus, I have to say that the only issue has got to be that there is less hand baggage stowage than on the widebody aircraft, which is purely down to British Airways' very generous hand baggage allowance. Other than that, they are bright and airy, brand new seats, the brand new Thales state-of-the-art IFE and lovely steam ovens and once customers got over the initial shock of not being on a Jumbo, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive in both CW and WT.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Doesn't say anything about an arm in a sling, though. Sorry, Dave, what's your point?
I dunno.. someone with a broken arm in a sling may well have difficulty moving quickly
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I dunno.. someone with a broken arm in a sling may well have difficulty moving quickly
OK ... Or indeed needing to operate a door with his weak hand.

However, I defer to BA CC. I'm not getting into an argument with people who spend their time informing us so valuably. Nit-picking works better on catering threads than ones related to safety.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by Lite
...........once customers got over the initial shock of not being on a Jumbo, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive in both CW and WT.
This is what I am hearing as well on the Midhaul routes operated by E/F too.

The passengers are getting off very happy.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stuff that. I want my UD seat

Small aircraft ... Harrumph
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
No... But, I can assure you, if I am requiring your help, I won't be asking, I will be telling... In a way I am sure you won't expect the nice, polite, helpful young man who brought you your drinks throughout the flight to be doing...
Is this a Jekyll and Hyde transformation or a Hulk type?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
At an exit which has a crew member responsible for it, then no, it is absolutely fine.

If it were the over wind SELF HELP exits on an A320 or A319, then yes, it would not be allowed.
That clarifies it. Anyway I am OK with a normal row as my flights on 319 and 320 tend to be short. It can be funny at times though when the clerk at the checkin desk doesn't notice the fact that the blind bloke got assigned an exit row seat. Happened only twice in the last 6 months. I was flying to Dublin in August last year. The nice ladies at the lounge noticed it though and they managed to find an isle seat after 4 or 5 phone calls. The second time was when I was flying to Brussels in December. It hadn't been detected until I was on the plane and one of the cabin crew was guiding me to the seat. After profuse apologies they found me a middle seat (was assigned a window as per my BAEC preference). In both cases, I was blissfully unaware that I was supposed to be in an exit row until they told me.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Is this a Jekyll and Hyde transformation or a Hulk type?
The former... I don't tend to rip my clothes off in public...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.