Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Membership year end trigger - 8th vs. actual.. and tier points credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:42 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!

Quick question please. My membership year ends on 8th Feb and I am already well past 1500 tier points since a while ago. I have two long haul flights on 9th feb, the first leaving around 0100 on the 9th itself. And I really want to make sure these seamlessly credit to the new year!

So my question is, when does the system zero out previous year tier points and start adding flights from the 9th onwards to the new membership year? Does it get zeroed out precisely on the 8th? Or does it take a few days after the 8th?

Or am I expecting to see my flights on the 9th somehow credited to the previous year and then having to call up BA?

Thanks!

P.S. mods, please feel free to combine in an existing relevant thread if available. A cursory search didn't reveal anything too obvious to me.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I personally am not bothered about such things but it seems to be explained here....in the Sticky.

What is an eligible flight?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I personally am not bothered about such things but it seems to be explained here....in the Sticky.

What is an eligible flight?
I did read the sticky earlier, and the relevant part of the sticky says:

Member signs up on 12 January; the new Executive Club account is given a membership year end date (8 Feb)
Year 1, 12 Feb: advances to Bronze following February's LAX-LHR flight (at 420 TPs)
Bronze status will last until 31 March, following the end of membership year 2
Year 1, June: advances to Silver triggered by June's DFW-LHR flight (at 740 TPs)
Silver status will last until 31 March, following the end of membership year 2
Year 1, 8 Feb: Member ends membership year 1 at 1,440 TPs; All TPs accrued over the course of Year 1 are zeroed out
Note, Silver for Year 2 was automatically retained in June of Year 1 when the member attained this tier
Year 2, 9 Feb: Member begins second membership year with Silver
Year 2, 8 Feb: Member ends second membership year at 280 TPs which is insufficient to retain Silver for year 3 so takes a soft landing to Bronze; All TPs accrued over the course of Year 2 are zeroed out
Year 3, 9 Feb: Member begins third membership year with Bronze
And unless I am missing something blatantly obvious I'm not sure it answers my question. Which is about actual zeroing out and whether it happens on the 8th automatically or does it take a few further days and requires later manual corrections...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Purely as a presumption, but if even if the TPs do not zero out spot-on the 8th, one should be able
to telephone customer service and request that the new TPs be credited to the new membership year.
The new TPs should take a little time to post anyway.

H
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoch
Purely as a presumption, but if even if the TPs do not zero out spot-on the 8th, one should be able
to telephone customer service and request that the new TPs be credited to the new membership year.
The new TPs should take a little time to post anyway.

H
This is one time when I'm hoping they will take long enough to post, that the previous years' have been zeroed out!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I don't think it zeroes out, but rather will subtract the TP's accrued up to the 8th.

Last edited by nux; Jan 15, 2013 at 9:10 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Further up the page it says "So for example, if your membership year ends on 8 January, a flight taken on 8 January will count towards your old year. Your Tier Point balance will be zeroed out on 9 January reflecting the beginning of a new membership year."

I suppose even that doesn't really fully answer your question. Although it would suggest you won't lose them even if it means you having to chase them.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
It won't zero out at the stroke of midnight on the 8th Feb. YMMV but that is my experience. I suspect you will be on the phone when your account does reset asking for the TPS to be re-credited, which they should be.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
I don't think it zeroes out, but rather will subtract the TP's accrued up to the 8th.
One can hope!
Originally Posted by srbrenna
It won't zero out at the stroke of midnight on the 8th Feb. YMMV but that is my experience. I suspect you will be on the phone when your account does reset asking for the TPS to be re-credited, which they should be.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking.

Any experiences of this? And whether it is easy enough to get done with simple phone call on the spot?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by AJLondon

So my question is, when does the system zero out previous year tier points and start adding flights from the 9th onwards to the new membership year? Does it get zeroed out precisely on the 8th? Or does it take a few days after the 8th?
Mine definitely zeroed out at the end of the day on 8th. Not sure if it was precisely at midnight but not that far off. It was zeroed out by the morning of 9th for sure.

You won't have any issues with the flights on 9th crediting before the TP reset. It is not very likely to post before 10th anyway, and the TPs will have reset by sometime on the 9th in any case.

For example, I had a flight on 9th Nov (my new membership year start date) that left at around 6am local time. This was sometime before midnight UK time and at the time my TP had not reset. It credited completely normally and under the new membership year - I think it appeared on my BAEC account on 10th Nov. No need to telephone etc. (By the time I landed, my TP had been reset, by the way, from memory.)

I then also had another flight on 9th Nov from LHR and that too appeared on 10th from memory. No need to telephone etc.

In other words, it all worked as it should, despite the complication that one of the flights on 9th commenced when UK was still the 8th. By the way flight crediting is based on LOCAL time of departure, not your BAEC membership country, so it worked exactly as it should.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 15, 2013 at 9:32 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Mine definitely zeroed out at the end of the day on 8th. Not sure if it was precisely at midnight but not that far off. It was zeroed out by the morning of 9th for sure.

You won't have any issues with the flights on 9th crediting before the TP reset. It is not very likely to post before 10th anyway, and the TPs will have reset by sometime on the 9th in any case.
Awesome! Thank you young lady! ^

Note that if it doesn't go exactly like you stated, I shall be asking for a few hundred thousand Avios in comp. After all the forum mod cannot be wrong!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:29 am

Awesome! Thank you young lady! ^

Note that if it doesn't go exactly like you stated, I shall be asking for a few hundred thousand Avios in comp. After all the forum mod cannot be wrong!
Ha ha, call BAEC if it doesn't work and you have to chase up the TPs to be fixed. They might well give you some Avios.

I've just added an actual example from Nov 2012 to my post that you might find useful by the way!

P.S. Since you called me a young lady I am even more inclined to help you with BAEC queries.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Further up the page it says "So for example, if your membership year ends on 8 January, a flight taken on 8 January will count towards your old year. Your Tier Point balance will be zeroed out on 9 January reflecting the beginning of a new membership year."
What happens with flights taken on or before 8 January for instance but gets credited after 9th January is that they are added and the subtracted from the new membership year.

BAEC system is very good with this. I have had a number of those and everything has been "corrected and shown as they should".

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 15, 2013 at 9:35 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the further update. Your past example and my future booking are virtually the same in terms of timings. So I am hoping the credits replicate as well!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:34 am

Thanks for the further update. Your past example and my future booking are virtually the same in terms of timings. So I am hoping the credits replicate as well!
If it doesn't, a quick call to BAEC should sort it out, so don't be concerned.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If it doesn't, a quick call to BAEC should sort it out, so don't be concerned.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.