avios summer black out

Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

avios summer black out

I'm trying to find flights to anywhere in europe via BA from ORD in summer and I can't find anything. No reward flights from ORD to LHR from May-August. Any ideas?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Try awards on AA, IB, AY - not sure what other partners might be serving ORD. If that doesn't work try "nearby" airports (JFK, EWR, IAD, ...). Also do searches by segment to get a feel whether the long haul or the short connecting segment is the problem.

But during school holidays be prepared for a tough search...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Airberlin - no taxes either! Chicago to Berlin starts in March.
http://headforpoints.com/2012/11/26/...tions-options/

Aer Lingus to Dublin - http://headforpoints.com/2012/12/20/...on-aer-lingus/ You need to ring BA to search for J seats as not online. Again, no taxes of note.

Last edited by Raffles; Jan 14, 2013 at 2:23 pm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
FWIW, I've regularly upgrade from WTP to CW LHR/ORD (both directions) and so long as I booked 4-5 months in advance, it's never been a problem at all. As of the last six weeks I've been looking to book a few LHR/ORD trips for 2013, one as early as June, and have found nothing. Even December is slim pickings and early next January is blank (except for one day midweek/month).

DFW is the same, as is MIA. Anyone have any ideas why this would suddenly change?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: baec
Having the same problem trying to get to Canada this summer. Is this normal?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There's a sale on, so less seats available. For example, I booked JFK-LHR on Avios in F during the 25% reduction, 2 days before the current sale I needed to change it to an earlier flight - I could choose from every BA flight on the day. If I look now, says no availability.

Have a look after next Wednesday (I think)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:32 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by axon
DFW is the same, as is MIA. Anyone have any ideas why this would suddenly change?
I imagine the slew of Chase cardholders who signed up for the 100k bonus last year, completed their $30k spend last month, and recently received 2-4-1s is having some effect on award supply.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
avios summer black out

And a sudden influx of ex-bmi folk. Just wait till Malaysia and Qatar join.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
And a sudden influx of ex-bmi folk. Just wait till Malaysia and Qatar join.
Most bmi members tried their best to burn miles pre-take-over as the miles-to-avios exchanged caused a significant devaluation. Also the overall effect of new OW airlines should be fairly small, given that this will also open up new award opportunities for BAEC members.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
In general, when a new partner joins an alliance there is MASSIVE availability (since historically only their own small membership base could redeem). This is not necessarily the case here, but its worth keeping an eye on.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
And a sudden influx of ex-bmi folk.
Most bmi-folk were savvy enough to realise that, for many popular redemption routes, BA's award availability is often shockingly poor, with, as we see here, months and months of continuous white space on the award availability calendar, so burned their miles with carriers who are more generous with award availability.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
See the "Dried Up availability to NA thread" for more tales of woe:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...h-america.html

It was just West Coast that was a problem, but it seems to have spread across the whole continent.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I imagine the slew of Chase cardholders who signed up for the 100k bonus last year, completed their $30k spend last month, and recently received 2-4-1s is having some effect on award supply.
This sounds feasible. Availability has been very limited the last few months, very little if anything coming up on BA. For a long time it looked as if the cheaper fares / redemption seat availability was only appearing on the AA operated codeshares.

However, IME seats frequently become available in the few days leading up to departure as they try to fill the cabins.

Book with EI or AB as insurance and if seats open up near the time you can change them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.