Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

For general discussion of Heathrow Airport and BA's handling of winter weather conditions, please follow the Snow disruption | Latest operational information thread.

Links to information available online
Rebooking options if your flight is cancelled
If you are booked to travel on a flight that is cancelled, you can either:
  • Rebook onto another British Airways flight at a later date at no extra charge and subject to availability, or
  • Cancel your booking and claim a refund to the original form of payment

If your booking also includes any other BA flights that are not cancelled you will be able to change these flights at the same time.

If your booking includes a hotel, a car, a transfer or an experience booked in conjunction with a cancelled flight, you can either:
  • Rebook to travel, on a like for like basis, within a 14 day period after the scheduled departure time of the original flight at no extra charge and subject to availability, or
  • Rebook to travel, 15 days or more after the scheduled departure time of the original flight. Rebookings are subject to availability and no amendment fee will be charged. Any difference in the price of your hotel, car, transfer or experience will need to be paid by you or will be refunded to you, or
  • Cancel your booking and claim a refund to the original form of payment.

You will need to call your Local British Airways office to make these changes.
Print Wikipost

Snow disruption | General discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
With snow forecast and LTN phobia on the move I am confidently predicting the South of England to be blanketed in two feet of snow for the foreseeable future.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Based on the weather forecast it might simply be an overreaction/over-cautious to start cancelling flights already.
It actually doesn't look that bad at all.

(So I say... in a slight hope that things may be operating normally.)
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
HAL ultimately need to bite the bullet, copy the rest of European airfields that are snow laden and create de-ice pads. The provider of services should be HAL/Airline owned de-ice companies. All departure sequenced via GMC/CFMU and the airline to prioritise, based on flow/crew hours restrictions. From time to time an hour or so delay will be experienced for start up, but snow and aviation do not mix so it is to be expected. In 2013 it is a lack of balls to stand up to accountants that costs airlines/airports/UK plc so much each time this happens. In very very cold and heavy snow, I have been stuck in FRA and BRU. That is twice in over 10 years in the job. 48 hours of snow of disruption. Those really were freak nights and the UK would have closed shop hours before hand. The number of cans flights ex LHR is beyond counting. Yes flights will get canx for a number of reasons during these conditions, but in 2013 we CAN do a lot better. Went to be xmas markets and was in DUS waiting 1 hour 30 mins for start up in December. It was throwing it down with snow. We still departed. No canx. You can wait for ever (hopefully not) at the gate when remote deicing is used. The pads are right by the runway, so 'hold over' times rarely expire. It really is the way forward. Yes I know it is starting to be used at LHR, but too little IMO. Come on HAL, less money on shopping malls, more on tarmac and equipment.

BA do use deciding pads to help free stands.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
Whats a deciding pad when it's at home? Like an iPad, but for making decisions?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Sigwx
HAL ultimately need to bite the bullet, copy the rest of European airfields that are snow laden and create de-ice pads.
How dare you come here being 'reasonable' and 'logical'?

It's an attitude like that which will give us Brits a bad name, we have a reputation to uphold!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:57 pm

See below
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
True but too few and they are after all an after thought.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Arrived back at LHR last Friday and then according to the pilot has the "longest taxi" possible to T1 -did give an opportunity to view all the new snow clearing equipment which may now get some use !

Agree with other comments - a bit of snow isn't the issue but the fact that airport is at capacity so anything that goes wrong has the potential to "snowball"
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:06 pm

Nats uk update

Latest fom NATS

UK/Ireland Network Overview:

Snow forecast across the UK/Irish network which may result in the application of tactical regulations as well as increased airfield taxi-times.

• Light and Patchy snow forecast 0300-1200 with average accumulations of 2cm.

• A second band of precipitation from 1200-1800 will bring heavy rain initially followed by snow accumulations of 2-5cm through Monday evening into Tuesday morning within, and to the North of, the LTMA.

• The far South will experience a mix of snow/sleet/rain with accumulations of up to 2cm.

Due to current UK/European Meteorological forecast conditions, airfields are requested to ensure the status of their airfield is kept up to date on the Airfield Status Map which is now permanently active.

Note: For Heathrow, snow is forecast in the period from 0400 onwards with accumulations of 1-4cm, resulting in a risk of an arrival regulation being required

EDIT: worst case landing rate prediction is 39 per hour. Considering that is against 42 today, not a bad outlook in general.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Deleted

Last edited by BA235; Jan 14, 2013 at 5:19 am Reason: Irrelevant nonsense
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The flight schedule for Monday has not (yet) been reduced at all.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Most tellingly, are there any signs of the tensa-hell appearing at T5 yet?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
The latest forecast issued a few minutes ago...next one at 05:00:

TAF EGLL 132309Z 1400/1506 VRB03KT 9999 SCT020
BECMG 1401/1404 7000 BKN010
TEMPO 1403/1409 3500 -SN BKN006 PROB30
TEMPO 1405/1408 BKN004
TEMPO 1412/1419 5000 -RA BKN007 PROB30
TEMPO 1412/1419 4000 RASN
BECMG 1416/1419 29010KT 9999 SCT020 PROB30
TEMPO 1422/1506 3500 -SHRASN BKN008
BECMG 1500/1503 01010KT=

So, more certainty that LHR will get light snow from a cloud ceiling at 600 ft AGL and reduced visibility of 3.5 Km between 03:00 and 09:00 with periods of the cloud coming down to 400 ft ceiling AGL during that time...

Changing to light rain and 5 Km visibility with ceiling of cloud at 700 ft AGL.

I guess the fear is that tomorrow evening the system could produce very heavy wet snow and rain with reduced visibility down to 4 Km between 12:00 and 19:00 with continued mixed rain and snow showers later on...

So not so bad really tomorrow morning (maybe a few delays but shouldn't really cause cancelling due to weather) if things don't change on them, improving early afternoon and then chance of issues late evening tomorrow depending on how it develops...at least they are confident that periods of snow and reduced conditions will occur now instead of just a 'chance' but they are equally not believing it will be too bad.

Hope this helps everyones plans...LTN Phobia, I'll be routing for you! ^
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:18 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Public Service Warning:

Expect troubles! I am travelling through LHR on 15th, 16th and 17th January.

(To those who are not familiar, I am a disruption magnet, particularly with snow, and so when I travel, there may be a weather issue, especially given the current forecast.)

I won't tell you the route. I do not want to be held responsible for putting passengers off flying by my disruption magnetism.
I'm due to fly to Hamburg on 17th....but stupid o clock in the morning...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:36 pm

I may rival LTNPhobia in my BA-delay-summoning abilities: of my last eight BA flights, LHR-SAN sat on the ground for 90 minutes; ZRH-LHR was cancelled entirely; one LHR-EDI didn't leave until after it was supposed to arrive; another was 30 minutes late; and the most spectacular was over five hours delay on a sub-3 hour GIB-LHR. I'm supposed to arrive at LHR from SAN on Tuesday afternoon. Basically, you're all doomed.
(Also very definitely not looking forward to climate-lag. I think our nighttime temperatures here are better than daytime in the UK. I don't have a coat with me...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.