Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by heronb
Could a suitable alternative (for BA) be on the lower deck? Or would I have the option of a refund if I wasn't offered an Upper deck seat?
Well this has not (to the best of my knowledge) been defined, and who does the defining of "suitable", the airline or the passenger directly, but there is this clause in the terms and conditions: "If you are not completely satisfied with your replacement seat you can apply for a refund". Note apply, not necessarily get. Personally I think if you were moved to the lower deck you can persuasively argue on both counts that it isn't suitable since presumably you would not have paid to reserve main deck seating: BA charge a lower amount for main deck, so they too don't treat those seats as the same thing.

My view is that if the passenger defines the seats as unsuitable, and the underlying basis is not totally spurious or esoteric, then a refund is due. I am not a lawyer, but I don't think I'm wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA
Thanks, that would be my position if moved downstairs i.e not in the same location and as I paid for the more expensive seat an alternate down below would not be suitable.

Regards
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:12 am
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I am not sure if this has been addressed before, but would like to ask folks that have more experience with British Airlines. I read instructions and said that I could choose seats at check in-24 hours before the flight- so I waited. I am connecting from AS to BA, when it was 24 hr. from my BA flight I signed in, checked in, and tried to change my seat- could not- printed the boarding pass. Then called the 800 number and was informed that I could not change seats since I had printed the boarding passes. I would have to do it as the airport. I was very frustrated, so asked for a supervisor- after a 10 minute wait she came on and said they were very busy so the wait for the supervisor was 15-20 minutes. I had appointment so could not wait-

Could any of you veterans of British Air give me any advice to get pass this nonsense. thanks so much.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rlb
I am not sure if this has been addressed before, but would like to ask folks that have more experience with British Airlines. I read instructions and said that I could choose seats at check in-24 hours before the flight- so I waited. I am connecting from AS to BA, when it was 24 hr. from my BA flight I signed in, checked in, and tried to change my seat- could not- printed the boarding pass. Then called the 800 number and was informed that I could not change seats since I had printed the boarding passes. I would have to do it as the airport. I was very frustrated, so asked for a supervisor- after a 10 minute wait she came on and said they were very busy so the wait for the supervisor was 15-20 minutes. I had appointment so could not wait-

Could any of you veterans of British Air give me any advice to get pass this nonsense. thanks so much.
You need to get yourself offloaded and then redo the checkin process - you need to call to do the offload. However there is no guarantee the seats you want will still be available so possibly you may be better staying where you are atm.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA
You need to get yourself offloaded and then redo the checkin process - you need to call to do the offload. However there is no guarantee the seats you want will still be available so possibly you may be better staying where you are atm.
I haven't flown BA before and not familiar with their online checkin process. Once the check-in window opens, can you select seats (assuming you're suddenly eligible at that point) before beginning the check-in process? What I'm attempting to clarify is whether it is the printing of the boarding pass that caused rib's problem, or whether it was initiation of the check-in process. I'm wondering at what point should I stop and instead call in to BA's customer service.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
I haven't flown BA before and not familiar with their online checkin process. Once the check-in window opens, can you select seats (assuming you're suddenly eligible at that point) before beginning the check-in process? What I'm attempting to clarify is whether it is the printing of the boarding pass that caused rib's problem, or whether it was initiation of the check-in process. I'm wondering at what point should I stop and instead call in to BA's customer service.
Why would you need to stop though? What is it you are trying to do?
Old May 1, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by rlb
I am connecting from AS to BA, when it was 24 hr. from my BA flight I signed in, checked in, and tried to change my seat- could not- printed the boarding pass. Then called the 800 number and was informed that I could not change seats since I had printed the boarding passes. I would have to do it as the airport.
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Once the check-in window opens, can you select seats (assuming you're suddenly eligible at that point) before beginning the check-in process? What I'm attempting to clarify is whether it is the printing of the boarding pass that caused rib's problem, or whether it was initiation of the check-in process. I'm wondering at what point should I stop and instead call in to BA's customer service.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Why would you need to stop though? What is it you are trying to do?
If I'm reading rib's story correctly, the 800 number might have been able to change seats for rib when rib called in, but the 800 number couldn't because rib had already printed the boarding pass. So I'm wondering whether I could attempt to change seats online -- and if I find out I can't do it online and need to call in, is it already past the point of no return and I'd need to wait until I get to the airport? Or, was it only until after the boarding pass was printed that the 800 couldn't change rib's seat.

To make a long story longer, I have ruby status (due to gold status on AA) and should able to choose seats at the 7 day window (flying club world), but I haven't flown BA before and have heard stories on this forum about BA's system not recognizing the status of an AA pax.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Finding typical Reservation Costs?

Are the prices in the wiki for this thread still roughly representative of the reservation costs now? I'm trying to price up a cheap longhaul trip for my parents who don't have BAEC status, and I want to include the cost of selecting an Upper Deck A380 Y-seat pair for them in the cost, so as to compare it to another airline.
I'm assuming it's probably about £40 but wanted to check that I'm not miles off! When I tried a dummy booking, it didn't seem possible to select the seat before paying.

Alternatively has anyone had to pay for these specific seats and therefore knows from experience?

EDIT: Made a bit more effort and read through the A380 seating thread - it seems the dynamic pricing really does live up to its name, and they can vary from £24 to £58 so it seems there's no solid answer!

Last edited by Foltan; May 4, 2017 at 2:46 am
Old May 13, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
My wife and I just booked a RT on BA using her companion pass. I am OW Ruby from AA so I went to Finnair and changed my FF number to my AA number. My AA number now shows up in the BA system. My thought was that the seat selection would automatically change to 7 days prior to flight. However, it seems like the seat selection time is keyed off of my wife's FF number. Will I be able to just call BA 7 days prior and get seat assignments or am I SOL?
Old May 14, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by deant
My thought was that the seat selection would automatically change to 7 days prior to flight. However, it seems like the seat selection time is keyed off of my wife's FF number.
What makes you think that the seat selection time is not 7 days prior to the flight?

If you're looking at the online check-in countdown timer, that will not change because OLCI basically opens at the same time for everyone regardless of status.

What you should find is that 7 days before the departure time of the flight (to the second), you will become able to select seats for free. AFAIK there is no timer or indication anywhere on MMB to count down to this point.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Thank you. Where I was seeing the 24 hours prior to flight was the page where you go to do a seat selection and it states: Alternatively, you can book your seat for free when online check-in opens, 24 hours before your flight departs.

I had just thought that if someone has OW status that the comment relative to the 24 hours would change. Live and learn.

Thanks again.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by deant
I had just thought that if someone has OW status that the comment relative to the 24 hours would change.
I don't have access to a booking for anyone who's Bronze/Ruby at the moment so I can't check whether or not this is correct or whether this indicates that the status hasn't been recognised.

If you get to the 7-day point and you still can't get an allocation online, then you should phone immediately to see whether or not there's some problem.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't have access to a booking for anyone who's Bronze/Ruby at the moment so I can't check whether or not this is correct or whether this indicates that the status hasn't been recognised.

If you get to the 7-day point and you still can't get an allocation online, then you should phone immediately to see whether or not there's some problem.
As a Ruby, I'm seeing exactly the same thing as deant and it appears from my searches that it's a common situation.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Stupid policy;

Flying F DXB-LHR then J LHR-DUB and return.

I can select the F seats but not the J.

No F service on LHR-DUB.

Stupid policy...
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
My immediate family is traveling long haul in WTP on BA. I am OneWorld Emerald, family has no status, I am not traveling with them. Is there anyway that BA would be willing to let me choose complimentary seats for them just after booking even though I am not on the itinerary and flying with them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.