Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FinnishGal
Interesting problem on TA forums.

If you purchase a seat and the aircraft is later changed, and you are given a seat from the same price category (in this case it was about a window twin seat) from the new aircraft, are you entitled to a refund just on the grounds of not being happy? To me this is a no-brainer (of course you would be, as it's not the same seat anymore) but others seemed to think otherwise.

We bought seats a while ago and I would have been really pi***d if I had first paid quite a lot of money and then had not been able to claim a refund.

Does anyone have any recent experience or knowledge on the BA policy for refunds?
See here for your answer:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...es-and-refunds

When and how you can claim a refund

You can claim a refund for reserved seats if:

There is an aircraft change and we are unable to seat you in a suitable alternative seat that you are happy with.
There is a flight disruption and you have to be moved to another flight, meaning that we are unable to seat you in a suitable alternative seat on your new flight that you are happy with.
You become unable to meet CAA safety requirements to sit in an exit row seat, and you contact us at least 48 hours before your flight.
You have paid for an upgrade and do not wish to pay the difference in order to reselect your seat in the alternative cabin.

You must apply for a refund on ba.com as refunds cannot be processed at the airport or on board.

We will only make a refund to the credit card used to pay for the seat reservation, unless otherwise stated.
Presumably you get a refund and then lose any seat selection you have. You are then free to select another seat at cost, or wait until OLCI opens up to do free seat selection.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:02 pm

Thank you both. This was exactly how I read the terms myself when did my paid seat selection earlier. But TA consensus seemed to be that if a twin seat was bought and a similar was given from another aircraft, there was not a possibility to get a refund. "BA don't refund if a suitable alternative is provided. Since the OP paid for twin seats and that was provided there are no grounds for a refund." Small details really can drive you mad, but now I am at peace!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor Platinum, Marco Polo Gold
Are the front rows in CE usually reserved for Golds, and if so when are they released for Silvers?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by ad00am
Are the front rows in CE usually reserved for Golds, and if so when are they released for Silvers?
Yes they are. Depending on status pax loads, possibly between 1-4 rows can be blocked.

They open up to us Silver plebeians between 1100 and 1200 three days before departure. ^

Example - if departure is on a Friday, check from 1100 Tuesday. Weekend days also count, so a Tuesday departure will open up on a Saturday. I have a good success rate (around 75%) with Row 1 using this method.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor Platinum, Marco Polo Gold
Thanks Paul. That was a really helpful summary.

Adam
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:40 pm

I made an Avios booking using a 2-4-1 redemption voucher earlier today, JFK-LHR-JFK. Outbound in F and at that time, the return leg, LHR-JFK only had availability in J so I took it and paid separately for seat selection in the Upper Deck.

Later today, on a separate set of dates, I was able to get the entire trip in F - so I called and requested a cancellation (within the 24 hr period of booking) of the first booking and made an entirely new booking after the Avios and 2-4-1 voucher were redeposited.

I was told that for the first booking, I would get a full refund for both the taxes/fees/charges and the seat selection charge. Can anyone confirm that this is really the case? Having looked over the rules for refund of paid seat selection...I'm a bit confused. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:20 am

If I pay for seats and later am able to use avois to upgrade will I be able to get a refund?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by olouie
If I pay for seats and later am able to use avois to upgrade will I be able to get a refund?
It seems the answer is yes as noted on this page:

When and how you can claim a refund

You can claim a refund for reserved seats if:
  • You have paid for an upgrade and do not wish to pay the difference in order to reselect your seat in the alternative cabin.

You must apply for a refund on ba.com as refunds cannot be processed at the airport or on board. We will only make a refund to the credit card used to pay for the seat reservation, unless otherwise stated.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It seems the answer is yes as noted on this page:

Thanks! And of course while I was waiting someone snagged the seats I was hoping for.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:58 pm

I am OWS through USAirways, but until the merger only gold in AA (OW Ruby). If I book in U on CW transatlantic using american miles, is there any way to preselect my seats using my US OWS status?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by lkar
I am OWS through USAirways, but until the merger only gold in AA (OW Ruby). If I book in U on CW transatlantic using american miles, is there any way to preselect my seats using my US OWS status?
After you book it you will need to put your US number in the booking. Once you have you should be able to take advantage of your US OWS status and select seats for free on ba MMB.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
After you book it you will need to put your US number in the booking. Once you have you should be able to take advantage of your US OWS status and select seats for free on ba MMB.
Thank you. Just a quick note on a techique that worked easily. When I booked using my account on AA.com, it prepoulated the first passenger as me. I deleted the info and entered my companion's information. I then put my information in as the second passenger without a FF number. When the reservation ticketed, it carried over to BA without showing a FF for me, and I was able to enter my US number. It instantly recognized it and I was able to pick seats. If you're flying solo it might automatically put your AA number in and so you might need to call AA to have it switched if your OW status comes from a program different from the one for which you are using miles.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Rather annoyingly I called up you first as I couldn't select 1A and 1K in MMB for a 744 flight to SIN. I was informed that despite being a Gold Member my partner (no status) cannot have a row 1 seat selected at this time. I probably should have read into it before booking but I find it an unfair rule.

I was always under the impression Row 1 in first was for gold card holders only to select and seeing as its my booking I wrongly assumed I could reserve them for me and my partner. I guess I have to hope they are still available 3 days (or is it 24 hours?) out or is there any hope that a different member of staff at you first would be able to do something?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:40 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by GTR56
Rather annoyingly I called up you first as I couldn't select 1A and 1K in MMB for a 744 flight to SIN. I was informed that despite being a Gold Member my partner (no status) cannot have a row 1 seat selected at this time. I probably should have read into it before booking but I find it an unfair rule.

I was always under the impression Row 1 in first was for gold card holders only to select and seeing as its my booking I wrongly assumed I could reserve them for me and my partner. I guess I have to hope they are still available 3 days (or is it 24 hours?) out or is there any hope that a different member of staff at you first would be able to do something?
No it is reserved for Gold/Emerald passengers only regardless of who made the booking or if another passenger on the booking is Gold/Emerald. Row 1 is available to select by anyone 3 days before the flight.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by nux
No it is reserved for Gold/Emerald passengers only regardless of who made the booking or if another passenger on the booking is Gold/Emerald. Row 1 is available to select by anyone 3 days before the flight.
Thanks for clarifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.