BA Seating Policy Guide

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 29, 14, 10:50 am

Edit: Ignore, question resolved.

Last edited by sppunk; Sep 29, 14 at 1:54 pm
Old Oct 26, 14, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I did not see an answer to this when searching in the thread

As a silver, I was able to select a seat in 747 Y no problem.
Now, a second person is coming with me booked under a different PNR and no status

Can I move them to sit next to me without a fee? Or SOL wait for checkin?
Old Oct 26, 14, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Sirius Gold, Hertz PC, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post

Now, a second person is coming with me booked under a different PNR and no status

Can I move them to sit next to me without a fee? Or SOL wait for checkin?
As the second person has no status (and you are not Gold), he/she will either need to pay to select the seat next to you or wait until 24hrs before check-in and then see if the seat is free.
Old Oct 26, 14, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post

Can I move them to sit next to me without a fee?
No. Free seat selection for someone travelling on the same flight and in the same cabin is a benefit for gold card holders and higher only. Of course they can pay for their seat selection prior to OLCI if they value sitting next to you.
Old Oct 31, 14, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Free seat selection for someone travelling on the same flight and in the same cabin is a benefit for gold card holders and higher only.
Does this apply to Oneworld Emeralds (AA EXP)?
Old Oct 31, 14, 10:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Gold, DanAir Lifetime Gold, Coffee House Bedford Platinum Plus, Green
My parents are travelling from LGW to MCO.
They have paid for exit seats but would prefer two bassinet seats together.
Expertflyer shows bassinets as blocked rather than occupied.
At what time can they shift into the bassinet seats - when do they open up? Am I correct in thinking it is exactly T-72?
Will they be able to change in MMB or will they have to call?
They are both Bronze, my father is also CX equivalent of Silver.
Thanks in advance
Old Dec 22, 14, 2:43 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
We are both Gold at the moment and have booked 1AK LHR CPT next December. However likely to drop to Silver in July: Would we be better choosing other seats ; ie; will we loose these seats when we become Silver?

Tx
Old Dec 22, 14, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by simonsmith View Post
We are both Gold at the moment and have booked 1AK LHR CPT next December. However likely to drop to Silver in July: Would we be better choosing other seats ; ie; will we loose these seats when we become Silver?
Yes, you will most likely lose 1AK when you drop to Silver - I would select different seats now.
Old Jan 1, 15, 7:44 am

Paid seating for one passenger on booking

Hi,

At the start of this thread it is stated that;

•General seating aims to allow customers to pre-assign seats together in advance of online check in. Therefore when purchasing seating, seat allocations must be purchased for all passengers in the booking but the seats need not be of the same type.

Is there any way to pay for seating for one passenger only? Is it possible to do it by calling BA?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 1, 15, 8:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EI147 View Post
Is there any way to pay for seating for one passenger only? Is it possible to do it by calling BA?
You can ask for a reservations to be split, I gather that is relatively easy for telephone agents to do. That would create a new PNR(s) for the passenger(s) leaving the previous reservation. Not sure if it's allowed on TwoFers/Companion redemptions, but I think it is ok for everyone else.
Old Jan 1, 15, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
You can ask for a reservations to be split, I gather that is relatively easy for telephone agents to do. That would create a new PNR(s) for the passenger(s) leaving the previous reservation. Not sure if it's allowed on TwoFers/Companion redemptions, but I think it is ok for everyone else.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Other than possibly being split up in the event of IRROPS what are the main disadvantages of splitting into two PNRs, if any?

Thanks
Old Jan 1, 15, 9:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EI147 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

Other than possibly being split up in the event of IRROPS what are the main disadvantages of splitting into two PNRs, if any?

Thanks
One person gets an upgrade, the other does not, is the usual "problem". I think the irrops issue is overplayed or very hypothetical, and far less likely to happen. I can't recall anyone being stranded in Nowheresville while hubby gets swept away on a magic carpet, and knowing this place I rather suspect we would.
Old Jan 1, 15, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
One person gets an upgrade, the other does not, is the usual "problem". I think the irrops issue is overplayed or very hypothetical, and far less likely to happen. I can't recall anyone being stranded in Nowheresville while hubby gets swept away on a magic carpet, and knowing this place I rather suspect we would.
Thanks for the help CWS, appreciate it!
Old Jan 11, 15, 12:22 pm

Interesting problem on TA forums.

If you purchase a seat and the aircraft is later changed, and you are given a seat from the same price category (in this case it was about a window twin seat) from the new aircraft, are you entitled to a refund just on the grounds of not being happy? To me this is a no-brainer (of course you would be, as it's not the same seat anymore) but others seemed to think otherwise.

We bought seats a while ago and I would have been really pi***d if I had first paid quite a lot of money and then had not been able to claim a refund.

Does anyone have any recent experience or knowledge on the BA policy for refunds?

Last edited by FinnishGal; Jan 11, 15 at 12:58 pm
Old Jan 11, 15, 1:34 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by FinnishGal View Post
Interesting problem on TA forums.

If you purchase a seat and the aircraft is later changed, and you are given a seat from the same price category (in this case it was about a window twin seat) from the new aircraft, are you entitled to a refund just on the grounds of not being happy? To me this is a no-brainer (of course you would be, as it's not the same seat anymore) but others seemed to think otherwise.

We bought seats a while ago and I would have been really pi***d if I had first paid quite a lot of money and then had not been able to claim a refund.

Does anyone have any recent experience or knowledge on the BA policy for refunds?
I was once seat shifted for "operational reasons" at check-in at LGW. From 2A to about 21A and had paid for assignment. A long time ago!

These are both window seats in the same price bracket and I was refunded my five pounds with no quibble.

Search this Thread