BA Seating Policy Guide

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 20, 14, 8:02 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan pleb, Skyteam Elite Plus
Flight 96 YYZ-LHR on the 23rd.
Old Aug 20, 14, 8:18 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Ziz View Post
Flight 96 YYZ-LHR on the 23rd.
28B, 28J and 29A/B/J/K are all unallocated.
Old Aug 20, 14, 8:19 am
Ziz

Originally Posted by nux View Post
28B, 28J and 29A/B/J/K are all unallocated.
Thanks so much for checking for me . I will keep checking MMB until they open them up for booking. Gunning for the throne seat.
Old Aug 20, 14, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Until today the exit rows were available for a price, but the bulkheads were blocked off. Today the exit rows are mysteriously unavailable but the bulkheads can now be selected. I find it hard to believe that all 6 exit rows were sold in one go overnight so something is going on.
This is the normal process, and I don't see anything unusual going on here.

Because today is Wednesday and your flight is on Saturday, today is the day on which the edited seat map is released. It's also the day on which the aircraft code shown to you will have changed from the generic code to the specific internal code for the configuration planned to operate your flight.

The window for buying an exit row seat closes 4 days before the flight. This is why you can no longer get the exit rows. However, on the release of the edited seat map, the bassinet positions and other blocked seats are released, and that is why you can now see them. But you may find, as is often the case, that you can't actually move yourself to a bassinet position online because that seat will disappear as soon as you try to do it.

More importantly, when you OLCI for your flight, please could you look to see whether you are being asked to pay for any exit row seat that is still available then? That was Prospero's question.
Old Aug 20, 14, 8:36 am
Ziz

In previous experience (6 flights a year on the same route) I've never seen the exit rows disappear when the bassinets open up. That's why I was surprised. But I will certainly report back on whether I am asked to pay at OLCI.
Old Aug 20, 14, 8:36 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
This is the normal process, and I don't see anything unusual going on here.

Because today is Wednesday and your flight is on Saturday, today is the day on which the edited seat map is released. It's also the day on which the aircraft code shown to you will have changed from the generic code to the specific internal code for the configuration planned to operate your flight.

The window for buying an exit row seat closes 4 days before the flight. This is why you can no longer get the exit rows.
Good point, exit rows can only be reserved (I'm guessing for passengers below Gold) from 14 to 4 days prior to the flight so this is completely normal behaviour.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb
Old Aug 20, 14, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nux View Post
Originally Posted by jenkatt View Post
I'm fairly certain I know this answer, but asking anyway. We are a family of 5, 3 adults and 2 children (3 and 7 at flying), looking to fly RT from TPA to LGW direct on BA in business. Am I correct in saying if we want to keep the 5 of us together (and not torture anyone else in the cabin) we'll have to pay $500 for advanced seating?
If you want to ensure you all sit together, yes.
You can otherwise try to checkin as soon as OLCI opens and hope to either get 5 seats together, or close by.
A couple more things:-
  1. "Together" is going to be a relative concept, anyway, for a group of 5 in a 2-4-2 configuration.
  2. Because you have children in the booking, BA will automatically pre-allocate you seats about 5 days before the flight. I imagine that this process is intended to try to keep families more-or-less together, although there are stories of that going wrong, sometimes in spectacular fashion. And obviously at that point BA can only pre-allocate seats from what's then left, when the choice may be quite poor if many other seats have already been pre-allocated. But there are at least some chances that as a family group you will do better than simply waiting for OLCI to open.
Old Aug 23, 14, 1:29 pm
Ziz

In previous experience (6 flights a year on the same route) I've never seen the exit rows disappear when the bassinets open up. That's why I was surprised. But I will certainly report back on whether I am asked to pay at OLCI.
Well I would like to have reported back on this when I checked in online last night for tonight's flight. Unfortunately I've been getting an error saying OLCI cannot be completed and to proceed to the airport for check in. Annoying as I was hoping to get the throne seat on the 747 but I have a bulkhead reserved anyway so never mind.
Old Aug 26, 14, 1:49 pm

When can I select an exit seat for free as a bronze - is it only from OLCI?

This has been my experience in the past, unsure if there's any change if I get on the phone to the exec club?
Old Aug 27, 14, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by adnando View Post
When can I select an exit seat for free as a bronze - is it only from OLCI?
Yes, exit row seats in WT and WTP from 24 hours before departure, all other seats (including exit rows in other cabins) from 7 days before departure.
Old Sep 22, 14, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
Yes, exit row seats in WT and WTP from 24 hours before departure, all other seats (including exit rows in other cabins) from 7 days before departure.
Sorry to ask again... exit rows can be selected for free by Silver members 4 days prior or 24 hours prior during OLCI ?
Old Sep 23, 14, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Sorry to ask again... exit rows can be selected for free by Silver members 4 days prior or 24 hours prior during OLCI ?
The purchase window is 14 days to 4 days. Then you can't get them until OLCI. There are mixed reports about whether non-Golds still have to pay for them during OLCI.
Old Sep 28, 14, 12:57 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Refund of seat selection fee if Silver reached.

A friend of mine made a booking on CW to BKK and paid to select the seats. However it is now likely that she will reach Silver Status before the BKK trip so can she get a refund of the seat selection fee and, of course, keep teh chosen seats?

TIA
Old Sep 28, 14, 1:33 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
A friend of mine made a booking on CW to BKK and paid to select the seats. However it is now likely that she will reach Silver Status before the BKK trip so can she get a refund of the seat selection fee and, of course, keep teh chosen seats?

TIA
This has come up before and I believe the answer is no, she can't, I'm afraid.
Old Sep 29, 14, 9:08 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Originally Posted by paul4040 View Post
This has come up before and I believe the answer is no, she can't, I'm afraid.
Thanks. Why am I not surprised?

Search this Thread