Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Lowest of the low ��
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In your case, I would have called the travel agent and ask for an e-ticket number. Then everything should be solved.
Will the agent have this even if I’ve only paid a deposit for the holiday?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Family Guy
Will the agent have this even if I’ve only paid a deposit for the holiday?
It would depend on your travel agencies ticket issuing policy on vacations. I don't know if they would provide the necessary information at this time but they should provide you the e-ticket number when you have paid all the installments.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:20 am

Seat selection at T-48 or T-24?

Hello everybody, and sorry if this has been asked before, but I can’t find any answer. I made a booking (PSA-LHR-EDI) on a ET Plus fare. At the time of booking, while selecting my flights and before providing payment, the BA website said I could choose a seat for free from 48 hours before departure. When I go to MMB the indication has changed, however, and can only choose at T-24.
Why is that? Because I’m a blue member? I did provide my BAEC number before I began the booking. Thank you!

Last edited by flyertalker0013223; Jan 16, 2020 at 8:42 am
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
. I made a booking (PSA-LHR-EDI) on a ET Plus fare.]
My guess is that screen isn't taking the Plus fare into account, most people only get seat selection at OLCI. At T-48 it should work, there are plenty of FTers who find seat selection opens up then.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:10 am

Hi -

Mrs. Meathead and I are currently planning Little Meathead‘s second trip to England in the late spring of 2020. At the time we’re taking the trip, he will be 22 months old and will not turn 2 before we return. We would like to buy a seat for him, but it looks like we can only purchase an infant-in-arms ticket for him online and would need to call to book a seat for him. My question is: Since we’re flying Basic Economy and are entitled to select seats for free at booking when traveling with an infant, if we select seats at the time of booking and then call to purchase a seat for him, would we then lose the seats we’d reserved and have to pay to reserve seats for all three of us? And if we reserve seats near the bassinet table, would we lose those since we obviously won’t be using the bassinet?

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Hi -

Mrs. Meathead and I are currently planning Little Meathead‘s second trip to England in the late spring of 2020. At the time we’re taking the trip, he will be 22 months old and will not turn 2 before we return. We would like to buy a seat for him, but it looks like we can only purchase an infant-in-arms ticket for him online and would need to call to book a seat for him. My question is: Since we’re flying Basic Economy and are entitled to select seats for free at booking when traveling with an infant, if we select seats at the time of booking and then call to purchase a seat for him, would we then lose the seats we’d reserved and have to pay to reserve seats for all three of us? And if we reserve seats near the bassinet table, would we lose those since we obviously won’t be using the bassinet?

Thanks!
Could you pay for an extra "comfort" seat for yourself and sit Little MH in that? I've no idea if that will work or if there are cheaper options, but just an idea...
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My guess is that screen isn't taking the Plus fare into account, most people only get seat selection at OLCI. At T-48 it should work, there are plenty of FTers who find seat selection opens up then.
Thank you, cws! That does make sense. I’ll have a look then, hopefully it’ll work!
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
Could you pay for an extra "comfort" seat for yourself and sit Little MH in that? I've no idea if that will work or if there are cheaper options, but just an idea...
That’s what we want to do, I’m just not certain if doing that will mean we’d have to pay for seat assignments.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by SteveF
An extra seat for comfort (EXST) is charged at the adult fare.

An infant occupying a seat (INS) is charged the child fare.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Exit row seats not appearing for Club Europe?

I was wondering if someone could help me with the exit row seating situation. I am due to fly LHR to RAK on the A320 in Club Europe. I am Bronze, so went to select seating for my whole group (5 of us total) 7 days before. I am able to select the exit row, but it seems like some seats are missing. Only 11A,11D,12A and 12D are available on the seating map. Expert Flyer doesn't show 11C, 11F, 12C and 12F as blocked though - they are currently showing as unoccupied.

(I'd add screenshots but it won't let me as I'm a new member)
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm helping someone with economy flights for tomorrow, no status. First flight is on AA to ORD, second is ORD-LHR on BA with an AA flight number. It's not a basic economy fare. I can't see anyway to choose seat assignments for the BA flight for free. AA.com doesn't allow it of course, and BA.com wants you to check-in to get seat assignments. Which it errors out when you try since the first flight is operated by AA.

Checking in with AA doesn't give you the option to choose seats during the check-in process.

So how do you actually choose seats with BA in this situation? I've searched all over, this must not be an uncommon.

Edit, should clarify, I'm trying to get seats 24 hours before the BA flight.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Nov 4, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by KimT
I am flying CW in July with my 2 kids, ages 11 and 13. I don't think any of us can pick exit seats based on the following statement from BA's site on exit seats:

•If any passenger in the booking is not eligible to sit in an exit row, exit row seats will not be offered for the entire booking.

Can anyone confirm that is the case? I know on AA, parents are not allowed to sit in exit seats when flying with non-eligible children. From the above statement, it seems the same is true for BA.

What has me confused is that I am able to select the exit seats on MMB for myself and 13 year old, even though we are on the same booking as the 11 year old.

Thanks
Interesting question that I noticed in another thread this morning. Does anyone have an answer or data point for this question? MMB will not allow you to select seats in an exit row for a passenger under 12, but will allow adults on the same booking to select an exit row. Would other passengers in a booking with a child be moved from the exit row to somewhere else, even if the child was not in an exit row seat ?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC
New arrow symbol on ET exit row seats?

Just noticed that there appears to be a new arrow symbol on the exit row seat symbols down the back in Euro Traveller. Is this new or have I been unobservant? And if course there is no indication on the MMB page (at least not on a mobile browser) what the arrow means.

Letting my imagination run riot, maybe the arrow implies similar shaped gifts? Perhaps the crew will now supply exitrowers an umbrella to use as an impromptu parachute as a thankyou for opening the exit door. Eventually the arrow will point to small print warning stating that umbrellas will be reserved for those who can recite the instructions, know how to operate it, won't deploy until outside the aircraft, didn't have earphones on during the safety briefing, etc? I think a light for attracting attention as you parachute from on high might be useful.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Interesting question that I noticed in another thread this morning. Does anyone have an answer or data point for this question? MMB will not allow you to select seats in an exit row for a passenger under 12, but will allow adults on the same booking to select an exit row. Would other passengers in a booking with a child be moved from the exit row to somewhere else, even if the child was not in an exit row seat ?
I thought I would answer my own question as a data point for others, now that this portion of my trip is complete.

We (parents + jr - 4 yrs old) flew 3 segments on the 744 UD that had at least one of us sitting in exit row seats. On one of the segments, both of the adults sat in exit seats (62A and 63B) and the child sat beside one of the parents (63A). There were no issues. We were asked once by a GA whether we were OK sitting in exit seats, that was it.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
Just noticed that there appears to be a new arrow symbol on the exit row seat symbols down the back in Euro Traveller. Is this new or have I been unobservant? And if course there is no indication on the MMB page (at least not on a mobile browser) what the arrow means.

Any thoughts?
There should be a legend above the seat map, similar to the one below.
The arrows identify “extra legroom” seats, both standard and exit row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.