BA Seating Policy Guide

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old May 16, 19, 12:03 am
  #466  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
According to BA's web site, the transatlantic is Z, the connecting CW a U. Both are part of the same AA award itinerary.

Cheers.
eddiea is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 12:05 am
  #467  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 29,124
Originally Posted by eddiea View Post
According to BA's web site, the transatlantic is Z, the connecting CW a U. Both are part of the same AA award itinerary.

Cheers.
Thanks. The agent was correct, a reward booking as you noted with F connecting to CW would not offer free seat selection for the CW flight whether booked through AA or BA.
KARFA is online now  
Old May 16, 19, 2:47 am
  #468  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,609
Originally Posted by eddiea View Post
Had an interesting conversation with a US based agent yesterday. It seems the policy regarding there being no payment required for assigning your seat in first class doesn't extend to first class itinerary on a plane with only CW.

Basically, I have an AA first class award ticket arriving at LHR, first class on a BA flight, transferring to a flight with only CW, no first. I called hoping to get them to waive the fee, based it being a first class itinerary.
For the purposes of seating, there is no such concept as a "first class itinerary". On any particular flight, you are either booked in First or you are booked in Club World. If you are booked in Club World, the Club World seating policy applies. The cabin you're booked in on other flights is irrelevant, save only in that there may be an indirect effect if your booking class for the Club World sector is affected by the fact that you're booked in First on another sector. But even then, it's the booking class for the Club World sector that may give you free pre-allocation, not the fact that you're in First on another sector.
Globaliser is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 4:55 am
  #469  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Posts: 403
Currently on a BA holiday in Ibiza - previously on BA Holidays bookings Iíve only been able to choose seats at checkin but surprisingly on this trip Iíve been able to choose seats 48 hours before (but no same day change available). The tickets booked into G.
EJetter is online now  
Old Jul 23, 19, 2:11 pm
  #470  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Posts: 1,084
I have a question concerning seating assignments. This past May my family went on a family vacation and few BA long haul ORD-LHR return on BA in Club World. There were 11 of us spread across two flights. I booked through a travel agent that handled the arrangements for our entire trip. The fare code for the flights was an I fare. When we booked which was a couple of months before travel, the travel agent selected seats for us at no charge. I was able to go into MMB and move them about without issue and placed everyone on the UD (747 and A380). I was surprised that there was no charge for seat assignments . Would this be some sort of contract between BA and the travel company? No one had status of any kind. I have status but I did not fly with them. I was on an AA flight from DFW.
MorganB is offline  
Old Jul 23, 19, 2:13 pm
  #471  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 228
I could be wrong, but I believe you get an advanced seat in Business/First if you pay for the seat. You do not get an advanced seat if you use miles.
qofmiwok is offline  
Old Jul 23, 19, 2:25 pm
  #472  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 45,042
Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
Would this be some sort of contract between BA and the travel company? No one had status of any kind.
Yes, this is a typical perk if using a travel agency particularly for what must have been a high value transaction.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 6, 19, 9:30 am
  #473  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 61
I'm sorry if this has been previously posted but I'd appreciate guidance. I recently redeemed AA miles for a VCE-LHR-ORD flight in BA First. The first VCE-LHR segment obviously in Club Europe cabin. I was able to select the LHR-ORD seat in first at no cost but Club Europe requires a fee. Any way around this? I could maybe understand this policy if all segments operated in business class but it seems pretty cheap to require payment for the initial segment. If so, I'll just ensure BA pay while I'm in the Concorde Room.
AAguy1979 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 19, 9:39 am
  #474  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 29,124
Originally Posted by AAguy1979 View Post
I'm sorry if this has been previously posted but I'd appreciate guidance. I recently redeemed AA miles for a VCE-LHR-ORD flight in BA First. The first VCE-LHR segment obviously in Club Europe cabin. I was able to select the LHR-ORD seat in first at no cost but Club Europe requires a fee. Any way around this? I could maybe understand this policy if all segments operated in business class but it seems pretty cheap to require payment for the initial segment. If so, I'll just ensure BA pay while I'm in the Concorde Room.
No way around it unless you have some oneworld status which gives free seat selection. At the end of the day seat selection in CE is not particularly important so I certainly wouldn't suggest paying for it. You will be able to select at 24 hours when OLCI opens.
KARFA is online now  
Old Aug 9, 19, 8:18 am
  #475  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Aberdeenshire
Programs: BA, UA, SPG
Posts: 983
Travelling ABZ-LHR-LAX-LHR-ABZ in a few weeks...in Y on an HBO (Economy Basic) fare on the outbound, and WTP on the inbound. Is seat selection for each sector governed by the ticket/fare class for that sector, like baggage? I think I should be able to select a seat on the inbound at OLCI, but I suspect unless I pay for a seat on the outbound I'll be stuck with whatever BA assign me - is that correct?
expatboy is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 8:42 am
  #476  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,681
Originally Posted by expatboy View Post
Travelling ABZ-LHR-LAX-LHR-ABZ in a few weeks...in Y on an HBO (Economy Basic) fare on the outbound, and WTP on the inbound. Is seat selection for each sector governed by the ticket/fare class for that sector, like baggage? I think I should be able to select a seat on the inbound at OLCI, but I suspect unless I pay for a seat on the outbound I'll be stuck with whatever BA assign me - is that correct?
Generally yes and see this knowledgeable post on this thread by CWS. The seat would probably stick but from that post and if you were given a middle seat as soon as you hear the 'doors closed' on the PA then sometimes you can end up lucky in getting a better seat but you have to be quick and ready to move ASAP and that's from what I've seen in economy and WTP (where not many FTr's fly in, generally speaking)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31384462-post5.html

Personally for such a long flight and I have done this route a fair bit in the last few years if I had no status I'd pay on the HBO outbound for Y but not for the domestic connection from ABZ to LHR.

I'd probably not be for paying on the way back and if you OLCI at exactly T-24 hours you would be able to select for free and the seat choices may be okay but Theoretical Seating will be in play by then as well so something else to consider.

Pete
expatboy likes this.

Last edited by PETER01; Aug 9, 19 at 8:49 am
PETER01 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 11:48 am
  #477  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bristol
Programs: Lowest of the low ��
Posts: 13
Seat Booking when using a travel agent

Iíve booked J flights as part of a holiday to Singapore and Bali. I know that to book seats I will need to either pay or use Avios, but Iím unable to book seats via MMB - a message appears saying seats will be available at check in. I phoned BA who advise the tickets havenít been issued so I canít book seats yet. The agent says I need to pay for the flights in full for the tickets to be issued. Before I do this, I just wondered if this is right, or is the agent/BA just after my money sooner than normal? Many thanks for any advice/help. FG
Family Guy is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 11:54 am
  #478  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,828
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
Iíve booked J flights as part of a holiday to Singapore and Bali. I know that to book seats I will need to either pay or use Avios, but Iím unable to book seats via MMB - a message appears saying seats will be available at check in. I phoned BA who advise the tickets havenít been issued so I canít book seats yet. The agent says I need to pay for the flights in full for the tickets to be issued. Before I do this, I just wondered if this is right, or is the agent/BA just after my money sooner than normal? Many thanks for any advice/help. FG
Did you book your vacation via BA.com or from another TA? If you have booked it via another TA, unfortunately, you have to wait until the travel agency issues the ticket.

And, I would like to ask if you have an e-ticket number for your flights at the moment?
ISTFlyer is online now  
Old Sep 18, 19, 11:57 am
  #479  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bristol
Programs: Lowest of the low ��
Posts: 13
Booked via another Agent, not BA.com. No e-ticket number that I can find at the moment, just a booking reference number.
Family Guy is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 11:58 am
  #480  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,828
In your case, I would have called the travel agent and ask for an e-ticket number. Then everything should be solved.
ISTFlyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: