BA Seating Policy Guide

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 22, 19, 1:44 pm

Who can choose their seat at the time of booking and change their seat at anytime up to 24 hours before departure?
Customers who have booked in F, A, J, C, W, Y

This is from the original post. Has it changed? Or does it not apply to tickets booked with partners? I am flying J (ClubWorld) from LHR-LAX, booked with AA and it says I can only get seats 24 hours in advance.
Thanks
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by qofmiwok View Post
Who can choose their seat at the time of booking and change their seat at anytime up to 24 hours before departure?
Customers who have booked in F, A, J, C, W, Y

This is from the original post. Has it changed? Or does it not apply to tickets booked with partners? I am flying J (ClubWorld) from LHR-LAX, booked with AA and it says I can only get seats 24 hours in advance.
Thanks
Hi. When you say you are in J is that your actual selling class? If you go in to AA.com MMB or BA.com MMB and look at the flight details does it show J selling class or something else like D, R, or I?
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:31 pm

Good question. I can't find anything logged into AA, but BA says it's U.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good question. I can't find anything logged into AA, but BA says it's U.
So the text you quoted just means selling class J rather than any business selling class in the CW cabin. J selling class is usually fully flexible and the most expensive - by way of example a J selling class return LHR-LAX costs around £12k.

Is this a points booking? U selling class is usually for redemptions and doesn't include free seat selection prior to OLCI.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:44 pm

Yes, sorry, I had "points" in my post but guess I lost it in an edit. OK. I was able to book seats on my last similar award redemption, so that was a surprise.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, sorry, I had "points" in my post but guess I lost it in an edit. OK. I was able to book seats on my last similar award redemption, so that was a surprise.
Maybe you had status (or the system thought you had status). Only First gives free seat selection on redemptions if you don't have status.
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not completely OT but I wonder if someone could help...

Last week I reached Gold. My status has completely updated to Gold on the web site and app.

I have some flights that were booked prior to me reaching Gold. I have gone back into MMB to see if there were any better seat assignments but I can't see any difference. The exit seats are all still blocked. I know they are blocked and not occupied from Expert Flyer unless that is wrong too!

Is there anything I need to do to see any additional seats I now have as a Gold?
Mike Skyflier likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:35 pm

Apologies if this has been covered, but my searches didn't turn up anything.

My two children and I will be flying CW on a 747 this summer and they'd really like a chance to sit in the upper deck (don't worry, they are experienced travelers and know not to make a peep so they won't disturb anyone!). These are the choices available to me in MMB. Expert flyer also shows 62A&B and 64J&K available, but I don't know if or when those might be available to reserve for someone without status. As you can see, one of the seats is in the exit row. My oldest is 12 so she and I are both eligible to select it, and the system seems to allow me to select it (though I haven't gone all the way through the purchase yet). I'm wondering if we'll be booted from our seats on the day of the flight because one member of our party is under 12. Does anyone know the policy?

Old Apr 29, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think you will be ok if you book the under 12 in the non exit row seat. I've not heard of them moving a party before for this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, TK M&S Elite, KE SkyPass Club, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCAccor Clsc, HHonours Blue
Indeed, when selecting seats, be aware that the pax under 12 aren't assigned to 62A/K or 63B/J
Old Apr 30, 19, 8:50 am

Thanks for the input. I see that the CAA prohibits "Customers who are travelling with anyone who would require their assistance in the event of an emergency" from selecting an exit seat but BA doesn't include that restriction when I select the exit seat. Anyway, it looks like I can put my 12 y/o in the exit seat (and I do believe she could open the exit door if necessary) and my 9 y/o and I in the non-exit seats and still meet that requirement.
Old May 7, 19, 4:23 pm

Seat assignment on HBO fare

I have a friend who booked JFK-LHR on a HBO fare as an AA Gold. He picked a seat 7 days prior to departure, and would like replace his AA number with his BA number at check in. Will he lose his seat assignment if he doesn’t have status with BA?
Old May 14, 19, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
I have a flight in CE and looking at EF, it shows that row 12 (last row of CE, and second exit row) is blocked out the entire row. I am a OWS and can select row 11 exit row, is this blocked specifically for golds, or should I be able to select these seats/should I call?
Old May 15, 19, 6:31 pm

Had an interesting conversation with a US based agent yesterday. It seems the policy regarding there being no payment required for assigning your seat in first class doesn't extend to first class itinerary on a plane with only CW.

Basically, I have an AA first class award ticket arriving at LHR, first class on a BA flight, transferring to a flight with only CW, no first. I called hoping to get them to waive the fee, based it being a first class itinerary. Nope, the agent was adamant that the fee was only based on where I actually sit, and the only way I would avoid the fee would to be in first class. I pointed out, that the particular flight doesn't have a first class, and if it did, that's where I'd be sitting. Nope, no budge. And it wasn't anything to do with it being an AA award, as he kindly pointed out, that I could choose my seats for free on the transatlantic leg.

So I asked, if I booked the exact same itinerary on BAs web site, first class transatlantic, followed by a European CW flight, would I still have to pay to select my seat in CW. He answer: Absolutely you would, as you'd be sitting in CW. Really, I don't think so.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 19, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eddiea View Post
So I asked, if I booked the exact same itinerary on BAs web site, first class transatlantic, followed by a European CW flight, would I still have to pay to select my seat in CW. He answer: Absolutely you would, as you'd be sitting in CW. Really, I don't think so.
Yes you would still have to pay the fee unless your CW flight was booked in to J or C selling class. I don't think it has ever been the case that seat selection fees are waived for a CW flight if you happened to be were connecting to or from a flight in F whether you booked through BA or another channel.

Search this Thread