BA Seating Policy Guide

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 4, 18, 10:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by LucyK1806 View Post
I booked and paid for seat selection, then cancelled the flight under the 24 hour rule.

Have received a full refund for the flight, but not the seat fee.

Am I wrong to expect a refund for the seat too?
There seems to be a slight discrepancy from what I can see ba.com states this:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-seating-terms

When you cannot claim a refund
  • If you cancel your flight.
However! In the seat refund form found here you have the option below so fill it in and send it.

I wish to cancel my seat within 24 hours of purchase
Old Dec 22, 18, 8:55 am

Booking BA Seat as OneWorld Ruby

I am an American Airlines gold which makes me OneWorld ruby. How do I go about reserving my BA seat 7 days in advance? I have no BA status. The BA ticket has my BA frequent flyer number attached to it. It was an award booking. Can a BA agent look up my AA frequent flyer number and determine my OneWorld status and then reserve my seat? This seems so unlikely.
Old Dec 22, 18, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
I am an American Airlines gold which makes me OneWorld ruby. How do I go about reserving my BA seat 7 days in advance? I have no BA status. The BA ticket has my BA frequent flyer number attached to it. It was an award booking. Can a BA agent look up my AA frequent flyer number and determine my OneWorld status and then reserve my seat? This seems so unlikely.
you can add your aa membership number in MMB on BA.com and it should pick up your status. If your BAEC number is already in then just use the finnair site MMB to remove your BAEC number and add your aa number.

Once you get to 7 days before the flight just go back to MMB and seat selection for free should work. P
Old Dec 22, 18, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
[Ö] just use the finnair site MMB to remove your BAEC number and add your aa number. [Ö]
A thousand thank you very muches! This worked like a charm.
Old Jan 6, 19, 8:14 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
Evening all,

A question I’ve yet been able to find the answer to - that I probably should know anyways.

I’ve gone and booked some BA flights and added in my Alaska Airline FF number in order to start requalifying for that program early (BA gold status not in any danger). With that - I’d still like to book my seats as per a BA gold. Just to be armed with info before making the call, will BA still allow me to pick some seats without adding my BA Exec. Club number to the booking?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Phrantic View Post
I’ve gone and booked some BA flights and added in my Alaska Airline FF number in order to start requalifying for that program early (BA gold status not in any danger). With that - I’d still like to book my seats as per a BA gold. Just to be armed with info before making the call, will BA still allow me to pick some seats without adding my BA Exec. Club number to the booking?
No, this won't work, they will need your BA number in to switch on the module. I would suggest you put the Gold card number in, remove it via Finnair after getting your OLCI boarding pass (otherwise you are at risk of seat shifting) and ask the check in agent to add your Alaska card at checkin. And that's not foolproof either.
Old Feb 24, 19, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS, EK
Having lost track of seating policies recently, I find myself in the position of being downgraded to Brown in July. We are flying in August in Club and have selected seats based on the strength of Silver. It used to be that as long as you didn’t access your booking through MMB your seats should still be OK...... Is this still the case or when we get the Brown cards should we expect to be turfed out?
Old Feb 24, 19, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Boeing Fred View Post
Having lost track of seating policies recently, I find myself in the position of being downgraded to Brown in July. We are flying in August in Club and have selected seats based on the strength of Silver. It used to be that as long as you didnít access your booking through MMB your seats should still be OK...... Is this still the case or when we get the Brown cards should we expect to be turfed out?
Hi,

Just to check that your membership year ends in July or your card year ends in July?

If it is your card year then there is a potential that if there is an aircraft change you could be turfed out.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 24, 19, 11:20 am

Yeah, year ends in June, card expires in July......
Old Feb 26, 19, 3:56 am

So if I leave the booking alone should we still be ok??
Old Apr 2, 19, 3:17 pm

Was reading about seats:

Gold/oneworld Emerald: Free seat selection from the time of booking for everyone in your booking and friends and family on other bookings, who are travelling with you in the same travel class and on the same flight*.
Is anyone familiar about how that would work with oneworld Emerald? My friend will be on LAX-LHR in CW next month; as an AA EXP can I book a ticket for the same flight (on a different PNR) in CW and then be able to assign their seat (as well as mine)? To me it seems that you could do it on different PNR's as well as Silver/OWS says:

Free seat selection (excluding exit row seats on long haul flights) from the time of booking for everyone in your booking.
Old Apr 4, 19, 2:20 am

anyone know?
Old Apr 9, 19, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Strange one here, reserving 1 ticket for a single flight in ET.

I log onto my own EC account when doing the booking, then it asks me to select a seat. Have selected a seat and then in the next screen input the passenger details, which is my wife. The seat selection remains and no additional charge added.

I'm silver, she's blue.

Is this normal? Or will they just remove the SS after the booking is made?
Old Apr 10, 19, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, AS 75K, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
AA LTP/OWS did not have to pay for exit row seats in J

I booked a trip on the BA website, SFO-LHR-ACC r/t, and the site did not charge me for any of the 4 seat assignments. In theory, I should have been charged for the row 62 seat on the upper deck. I was a bit surprised, but happy.
However, I wasn't happy to have to pay $500 for advance seat assignments for my no-OW-status colleague flying with me (outbound together only, his is separate PNR due to his later return flights). But at least I got the AARP and Chase BA Visa discounts on his ticket.
Old Apr 10, 19, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
I booked a trip on the BA website, SFO-LHR-ACC r/t, and the site did not charge me for any of the 4 seat assignments. In theory, I should have been charged for the row 62 seat on the upper deck. I was a bit surprised, but happy.
I think only 62A and K are deemed exit row seats. If you are in the two aisle seats 62B or J then these are not exit row seats.

Search this Thread