BA Seating Policy Guide

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 14, 18, 3:24 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Ladies / Gents - Do GCHs get free seat selection on Long Haul Basic (HBO) fares or is it just shorthaul?
Old Aug 21, 18, 12:56 am

Question: I was upgraded to bronze on Monday and it shows my account online as being Bronze as well as in the app. If i go in to an existing booking (for the 7th of Sept) it still says "Alternatively, you can book your seat for free when online check-in opens, 24 hours before your flight departs."

Shouldnt this read "... 7 days before your flight departs"?

Im worried come 7 days before i will not get a chance to book the seats i want.
Old Aug 21, 18, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Gazkane View Post
Question: I was upgraded to bronze on Monday and it shows my account online as being Bronze as well as in the app. If i go in to an existing booking (for the 7th of Sept) it still says "Alternatively, you can book your seat for free when online check-in opens, 24 hours before your flight departs."

Shouldnt this read "... 7 days before your flight departs"?
No, online check-in will still open 24 hours before your flight departs, so that statement is correct.

As a Bronze, you have an additional period before online check-in opens in which you should be able to pre-allocate a seat. If the system has correctly identified your Bronze status, then you will probably get access to this automatically. If for some reason it doesn't work, just call.

(In this post, I've stuck to the "OLCI opens at T-24h" concept for simplicity, although passengers with connections can sometimes check-in a little earlier than that.)
Old Aug 21, 18, 5:58 am

Thanks for the reply. I guess the statement should read "Alternatively, you can book your seat for free when 7 days before your flight departs." and not refer to OLCI at all as its irrelevant once you hit bronze and above?

Does it say that for Silver and Gold?
Old Aug 21, 18, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it say that for Silver and Gold?
I don't know where in the MMB pages you see the text which you quoted. However, if I open the main MMB for a booking and then click a link to change seats, I get a page where all the flights in the booking are listed. On the right hand side, it says:-
Executive Club
Gold and Silver Members can choose seats for free from the time of booking; Bronze from 7 days before the flight. Add your membership number under ‘passenger information' in Manage My Booking to enable this benefit.

Other Frequent Flyer members may also be allowed to choose their seats for free
Below that, it has additional information such as:-
Seating information
For operational reasons we might need to change your seat before you travel.
Does that correspond to the location of the text which you quoted?

On the page with the actual seat map, it says:-
You can choose any available seat for no extra cost
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:49 am

Ah yes i can see that. However the place i am looking is (on the same page i think) under the passengers names on the left, below where it tells you the price.

Old Aug 21, 18, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah yes i can see that. However the place i am looking is (on the same page i think) under the passengers names on the left, below where it tells you the price.
At the moment, for obvious reasons all I can see is "You have reserved 1 seat for this flight." So that's not much help for your question, sorry.

At any rate, if free seat pre-allocation doesn't come live at 7 days out, then you just need to call. If you really need to try to do everything online, then at that point it may be worth using one of the other airline websites (Finnair, Qatar and Royal Jordanian are I think three of the usual suspects) to delete your frequent flyer number, and then to reinsert it. That may be what's needed to trigger the status recognition.
Old Oct 17, 18, 10:16 pm

I have an upcoming flight on an AA-issued ticket with the TATL being marketed by AY, op by BA (no HBO fare, if that matters). When I retrieve my booking on ba.com it correctly shows the AY FF number I specified, which is AY Silver, i.e. OW Ruby (which is not explicitly shown). Nevertheless ba.com displays a cost involved for selecting a seat.
According to https://www.britishairways.com/asset...e-guide_en.pdf seat selection should be governed by the operating carrier's rules, and in case of BA, according to the table on page 5, OW Ruby should get free seat selection seven days in advance (which by now has been reached).
Any idea why BA.com does not offer free seat selection? It did work for a the first TATL on that very same booking, which was AA marketed and op by BA. Why doesn't it work for the return?
Old Oct 18, 18, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geosch View Post
Any idea why BA.com does not offer free seat selection? It did work for a the first TATL on that very same booking, which was AA marketed and op by BA. Why doesn't it work for the return?
Does the PNR you can access also show the outbound AA-marketed BA-operated flight? Or does BA have them in separate operating PNRs?

In any event, my suspicion would be that if there's a logical reason for the difference, it will lie in the fact that technically you were on an AA flight outbound and you're on an AY flight inbound, even though both are actually BA-operated. The two airlines might communicate differently with BA in some way that means that BA's systems haven't recognised the Ruby status for the AY flight.

Or it could just be a ba.com glitch.

Either way, you might get joy by phoning. I can't immediately see any reason why an AY Ruby shouldn't get free seat pre-allocation inside the 7-day mark, particularly as it worked on the outbound.
Old Oct 18, 18, 9:13 am

Yes, it does show the entire itinerary. On booking, AA provided me with two PRNs, one working on aa.com and the other one (apparently Amadeus) working with BA. I successfully specified some contact details on BA.com, and the confirmation email sent by BA included a third PRN, which also works on BA.com. All PRNs correctly show the entire itinerary as well as the FF number. BA even knows the currency the ticket was purchased in (and displays seat selection fees in that currency).
The itinerary also includes a BA-operated leg with BA flight number, and ba.com does not even offer for-pay seat selection for that one but says it could only be done on check-in.
So either it's a weird I problem, or BA does not provide free seven days advance seat selection for Ruby when traveling on an AY or BA marketed flight. As it doesn't matter that much, I guess I'll simply wait for OLCI.
Old Oct 18, 18, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geosch View Post
So either it's a weird problem, or BA does not provide free seven days advance seat selection for Ruby when traveling on an AY or BA marketed flight.
I doubt that it's the latter, otherwise we'd get far more complaints than we do!
Old Nov 14, 18, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
Apologies folks, I'm sure this question has been answered before but I can't seem to find it on the search. I (a GCH) have booked a redemption ticket for my mother (no status), I won't be traveling on the flight but since I have paid for the ticket using my avios am I able to select a seat for her using my status ?
Old Nov 14, 18, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
No, you have to be travelling to do that.
Old Nov 29, 18, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
I'm flying to INN soon on a group TA booking and I am unable to access the booking via manage my booking.

I was able to add my FF number via the Qantas site but I am unable to select my seat online.

I contacted the TA to ask them to reserve an exit row seat for me but they can't as they are blocked due to operational reasons despite being selectable in a dummy booking.

I also phoned BA and they say the same as the TA.

Is this normal? Will I be able to select them at online check in?
Old Dec 4, 18, 10:28 am

I booked and paid for seat selection, then cancelled the flight under the 24 hour rule.

Have received a full refund for the flight, but not the seat fee.

Am I wrong to expect a refund for the seat too?

Search this Thread