BA Seating Policy Guide

Old May 5, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by stu002
Do we risk downgrade or is it more likely they will upgrade others to make the required space.

We are travelling two adults and two under 12.
Downgrades are statistically far less common than upgrades and per the loads in that flight (your question in that thread) I'd say there is a number of people being pushed forward.

CW has 13 free and 3 blocked seats so there is scope to move people.

In the WTP cabin 12 D thru G are free but EF blocked as bassinet seats so you'll need to phone to get them but if no infants need then I'd expect BA to seat you there anyway.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Downgrades are statistically far less common than upgrades and per the loads in that flight (your question in that thread) I'd say there is a number of people being pushed forward.

CW has 13 free and 3 blocked seats so there is scope to move people.

In the WTP cabin 12 D thru G are free but EF blocked as bassinet seats so you'll need to phone to get them but if no infants need then I'd expect BA to seat you there anyway.
Thanks! Front row D & G were showing available when there was an extra row but since this has gone it all got very busy.
It looks like, from BA Source, that this route has settled on a three class old fit LGW layout having been a real hit and miss affair since the start of the year. Had been dreaming of getting the rogue 4 class LHR they had on the route intermittently. But hey with 24 and 28 days or so until we fly it seems anything can happen as they try and introduce the new 3-4-3 layout on some routes!!

Thanks for your help on both threads.

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/1c9f819f-4860-406a-b8a6-edae967cffe6[/img]
Old May 7, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I recently paid for assigned seats in BA Premium Economy on an AA code share flight operated by BA from DFW to LHR. The flight in question has an AA flight number (AA 6153) and, of course, a BA flight number (BA 0192). I made all reservations on aa.com and was redirected from aa.com to a BA website in order to select and pay for seats in PE on the BA operated flight.

Then I had to change our travel to a later flight operated by American from DFW to LHR on the same day of travel in order to fit in a meeting at DFW as we are connecting through that airport to LHR from LFT. We will be traveling in late September this year.

So I'm wondering if BA will refund the assigned seat charges ($71.00 per person) and the best way to request this.

I called the Executive Club desk and was first told no refund would be possible. The agent then backed up a bit and told me to fill-out a refund request on-line at BA.com.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jlemon
I
I called the Executive Club desk and was first told no refund would be possible. The agent then backed up a bit and told me to fill-out a refund request on-line at BA.com.
According to

ba.com/seating
(refunds section)
  • If you booked a British Airways operated flight through another airline, e.g. Iberia, and you change your flight, you will not receive a refund for the reserved seats and you will need to reserve and pay for seats again on the new flight.
So I don't think it's looking promising.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
According to

ba.com/seating
(refunds section)
  • If you booked a British Airways operated flight through another airline, e.g. Iberia, and you change your flight, you will not receive a refund for the reserved seats and you will need to reserve and pay for seats again on the new flight.
So I don't think it's looking promising.
Thanks for your quick response, CWS. Very much appreciated!

I did fill out the refund request on-line and noticed what appeared to be a reference to a 24 hour window for requesting refunds. I may have just squeaked in that time window....maybe.

I also have yet to receive an e-mail from BA confirming my initial seat selections and payment. So we shall see......
Old May 8, 2018, 2:16 am

Further to my own post earlier (#374) do any of the experts know what might be happening here, in case it's something I can fix myself instead of needing the seating team to look into it?

I've a CE booking in my name (GCH) for 4 people. One other pax is also GCH, other 2 are Blue. All on one PNR, and it's not until July so no TS at play here.

For one sector, all of Row 1 is free. I have successfully placed the 2 blue and other GCH into Row 1, but while the system shows the remaining Row 1 seat as available to me, I cannot select it for myself. EF doesn't show it blocked.

Also I can move the pax around - so for example, alternatively leave 1A or 1C as the unoccupied seat - and it shows available to choose for myself, but whether I try via the app or a browser, it simply reports that it cannot process it and to contact BA (which I have done, Gold line have sent a request to seating team).

Hopefully the seating team will sort it, I'm really just trying to understand what might be happening here if anyone can shed any light?
Old May 8, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by desti ..they've included the seat selection charges ...on the same confirmation... anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted by JAXBA
The receipt generating system is flaky. It shouldn't mean you've been charged again, just that it picked up the previous transaction as still needing to have a receipt sent.
Sorry - couldn't figure out how to embed a quote in a quote - Just to let you know, I was charged and had to manually request the refund, although it was applied without issue.

Last edited by desti; May 8, 2018 at 3:08 am Reason: spelling
Old May 11, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Peeps - one of those "I should know questions"

Trying to pre-book seats with a friend on separate PNR - we have the same LHR-BKK flights (in cheapo economy) - but Manage My Booking is not showing any place to check seats and prebook.

It's a complex itinerary with PG & QR segments on (but it's only BA segment i'm concerned with - will be issued on BA stock), and not yet issued. Do the tickets have to be issued before I can prepay & prebook seats? Or are their other reasons?

Ta in advance.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
If you don’t have one world status do you have to pay to select your seat on the Club World London City flights? Specifically the LCY - JFK flights

Last edited by tomcat007; May 11, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 4:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tomcat007
If you dont have one world status do you have to pay to select your seat on the Club World London City flights? Specifically the LCY - JFK flights
yes if you want to pre select before OLCI. I really wouldnt bother tho, just select for free when OLCI opens up.
Old May 11, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

yes if you want to pre select before OLCI. I really wouldnt bother tho, just select for free when OLCI opens up.
ok thanks.i looked at the seat map and thought with only 8 rows in a 2*2 config they would make an exception for this route
Old May 12, 2018, 3:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tomcat007
ok thanks.i looked at the seat map and thought with only 8 rows in a 2*2 config they would make an exception for this route
It's unlikely to be full, and there aren't any stand out extra good or bad seats, so I wouldn't worry. I sometimes don't bother on that route and I can select for free. The minimum oneworld status is merely Ruby, so you may find an airline out there where you can get at least a week's notice on seat selection.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
It's a complex itinerary with PG & QR segments on (but it's only BA segment i'm concerned with - will be issued on BA stock), and not yet issued. Do the tickets have to be issued before I can prepay & prebook seats? Or are their other reasons?
For those without status / not booked via BA.com then you need to wait until ticketing for seat selection to appear, however note that the cheapest seat fee is at the point of payment, so either use BA or an accredited travel agent able to offer this service. Some corporate GDS also allow seat selection at booking if the channel has a seating agreement with BA (e.g. CWT, some Amex clients). If it does not show online then you can still book by telephoning. The usual problem in this area is if someone makes a booking, then changes it, the ticket goes off to manual ticketing, which takes a while and during that period BA.com won't allow for paid seat selection. But ringing up should assist with this.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread (I have had a good look and couldn't find anything more suitable really), but I had a query if anyone could help with. I've booked a flight for mum and dad next Wednesday 23rd on GLA-LHR BA1497 in CE. I have gone to choose seats for them but currently there are only window seats available. Does anyone know if row 1 is actually taken, or if it's just blocked just now? I would have liked to book them two seats together as mum is a bit of a nervous flyer. Thank you for helping in advance.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread (I have had a good look and couldn't find anything more suitable really), but I had a query if anyone could help with. I've booked a flight for mum and dad next Wednesday 23rd on GLA-LHR BA1497 in CE. I have gone to choose seats for them but currently there are only window seats available. Does anyone know if row 1 is actually taken, or if it's just blocked just now? I would have liked to book them two seats together as mum is a bit of a nervous flyer. Thank you for helping in advance.
Expert Flyer shows row 1 is empty:

However, it will be reserved to Gold status holders until approximately T-72 hours, at which point it will open up if no-one has taken it by that point. When I was silver I had considerable success getting Row 1 at that time just by setting a reminder in my phone for the time they opened up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.