BA Seating Policy Guide

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Dec 1, 17, 5:05 am
  #361  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 7,321
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Were you able to select seats yourself for the LHR-CPH sector? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "BA got the seats for us for the last leg on BA".

If you were having trouble doing it yourself for free on that sector, then one possible cause is that the system has not recognised your Sapphire status for some reason. That can sometimes get fixed if you remove your frequent flyer number from the booking altogether, and then reinsert it. But knowing what happened on the last sector would help.

Also, do you know what booking classes you're booked into on each flight? You should be able to get that from BA's MMB, if you click on the link that says "More flight information".
Thanks - when I booked the flights via an OTA, I went to BA manage my reservations. I was able to get MCE seats for the AA legs (that ought to proof that our OWS kicks in) and I can't remember whether it's me or BA who got the seats for LHR-CPH (it was more than 6 months ago) - sorry for the confusion. At that point the CPH to LHR were "unable to select seats" (I booked my trip at least 9 months in advance).

My AA MCE seats are there on both manage my booking on both AA and BA.

To be honest I don't really care but I just found it a bit weird...... I'm worried that if I remove the OWS and put it back in I might lose the MCE seats on the AA legs (LHR-LAX).

The booking class is S.

nacho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 17, 5:15 am
  #362  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 34,892
I would have thought, then that your best next step is to phone and ask BA what the issue is. This is consistent with the symptoms you'd expect if the BA PNR hasn't recognised your Sapphire status. The fact that AA returned MCE seats suggests (as you say) that the AA PNR has recognised the status but it may be that these show in the BA PNR simply because that's what AA has fed back to BA.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 17, 9:18 am
  #363  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 7,321
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I would have thought, then that your best next step is to phone and ask BA what the issue is. This is consistent with the symptoms you'd expect if the BA PNR hasn't recognised your Sapphire status. The fact that AA returned MCE seats suggests (as you say) that the AA PNR has recognised the status but it may be that these show in the BA PNR simply because that's what AA has fed back to BA.
Thanks! I probably would call BA. It's just weird that only 1 out of 4 legs doesn't have my OWS status. Here's the seats for the last 2 legs. I checked the booking at Finnair.com and I can see that the FFPs were properly put into the system. All legs have booking class S.

nacho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 18, 9:08 am
  #364  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KWI
Programs: QR Gold
Posts: 44
This is my first post in the BA forum so I apologise if this has been covered, but I've looked through a couple threads and not found a solid answer.

If I book a Club World award through my BA account (Blue tier) using avios, is it possible to then add my QR gold (OWS) FF number to the booking and select seats without having to pay the fee as a BA blue? There is mention in this thread of adding your OWS/E membership number to revenue bookings, but I haven't seen any mention of award flights.
joeu1998 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 18, 9:41 am
  #365  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 831
Originally Posted by joeu1998 View Post
This is my first post in the BA forum so I apologise if this has been covered, but I've looked through a couple threads and not found a solid answer.

If I book a Club World award through my BA account (Blue tier) using avios, is it possible to then add my QR gold (OWS) FF number to the booking and select seats without having to pay the fee as a BA blue? There is mention in this thread of adding your OWS/E membership number to revenue bookings, but I haven't seen any mention of award flights.
You can go to the QR website (manage booking or something like that), put in your BA booking ref to retrieve your booking, then change / edit passenger details. Change your BA ff number to your QR ff number (save it). Then go back to BA website, manage your booking, and select your seat. I have done this a number of times.
A1pax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 18, 9:45 am
  #366  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KWI
Programs: QR Gold
Posts: 44
A1pax that makes perfect sense, thank you. Will give it a go once the ticket is booked.
joeu1998 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 18, 2:20 pm
  #367  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16
Hi guys! I'm new here so I apologize if this has been raised before, but does anyone know of anything like "seats blocked by airport"? I booked two awards flights for LHR - ORD on the 747 (super J config) early next year. When I went in to reserve a seat (I don't have status and I know I have to pay to reserve seats), nothing on the upper deck is available except 1 aisle seat! I checked on expertflyer and the entire upper deck seems to be open. I was confused so I called BA, the rep told me those upper deck seats are blocked by the airport and there's no timeline on when they might be released...I don't mind being on the lower deck (as there might be a better view of the wing and engines), but the explanation just puzzled me. I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this. Thank you!
mrliu88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 18, 4:15 pm
  #368  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 34,892
Originally Posted by mrliu88 View Post
When I went in to reserve a seat (I don't have status and I know I have to pay to reserve seats), nothing on the upper deck is available except 1 aisle seat! I checked on expertflyer and the entire upper deck seems to be open. I was confused so I called BA, the rep told me those upper deck seats are blocked by the airport and there's no timeline on when they might be released ...
The agent may have been a little confused. The other seats are probably blocked so that you can't get them even if you're prepared to pay for them, but this is the standard approach to upper deck seats on the 747, not because the airport has blocked them on this flight. The agent probably just saw blocked seats and jumped to an assumption which wasn't accurate.

If you need to pay to pre-allocate seats, then on the upper deck on the following seats are available: 63AB, 63JK and 64B. In addition, on some flights 60B is available. If you have a baby, you may be able to pre-allocate 64A.

Otherwise, I think that you have to wait until online check-in opens to get any of the others, if they are not already occupied. However, there is a very good chance that they will be occupied, as the upper deck is in high demand.
mrliu88 likes this.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 18, 7:11 pm
  #369  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
The agent may have been a little confused. The other seats are probably blocked so that you can't get them even if you're prepared to pay for them, but this is the standard approach to upper deck seats on the 747, not because the airport has blocked them on this flight. The agent probably just saw blocked seats and jumped to an assumption which wasn't accurate.

If you need to pay to pre-allocate seats, then on the upper deck on the following seats are available: 63AB, 63JK and 64B. In addition, on some flights 60B is available. If you have a baby, you may be able to pre-allocate 64A.

Otherwise, I think that you have to wait until online check-in opens to get any of the others, if they are not already occupied. However, there is a very good chance that they will be occupied, as the upper deck is in high demand.
Thank you @Globaliser so much for the insights! I see that seats 63ABJK and 64B are all reserved, so I guess I'll wait and test my luck. Currently I have 22 AB on the lower deck based upon my research they seem to be the best alternative for privacy. Any thoughts on my pick or recommendations for lower deck seats for couple traveling together?
mrliu88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 18, 4:02 pm
  #370  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: England
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 89
Should I be worried ? Trip LGW to LIM BA2239 28th March.Family holiday long ,long time in planning .Seats booked and paid for (10-11 a&b).According to MMB J is full , any chance of the dreaded involuntary downgrade ?How are the other cabins looking ?

I’m currently bronze and will go to silver on this trip the rest of the family are Blue. It’s all one cash (I) booking via a TA if that makes a difference .

Funny thing is if I hadn’t found FT I wouldn’t be worried by this, the thought would have never have even crossed my mind ! However I’ve read a few threads on here recently about this -a little knowledge can certainly a dangerous (stressful) thing !
Yetak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 18, 4:08 pm
  #371  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 25,253
Originally Posted by Yetak View Post
Should I be worried ? Trip LGW to LIM BA2239 28th March.Family holiday long ,long time in planning .Seats booked and paid for (10-11 a&b).According to MMB J is full , any chance of the dreaded involuntary downgrade ?How are the other cabins looking ?

I’m currently bronze and will go to silver on this trip the rest of the family are Blue. It’s all one cash (I) booking via a TA if that makes a difference .

Funny thing is if I hadn’t found FT I wouldn’t be worried by this, the thought would have never have even crossed my mind ! However I’ve read a few threads on here recently about this -a little knowledge can certainly a dangerous (stressful) thing !
you really shouldn't be worried. downgrades are extremely rare. i think for downgrades this is actually one of the things that reading FT might actually make you much more worried that you ever need to be. to the extent there is any advice just check in early.

In terms of your flight it is pretty full but that doesn't mean oversold.

J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W2 E1 T0 Y1 B1 H1 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
KARFA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 18, 4:16 pm
  #372  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: England
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 89
Thanks Karfa , I shall sleep soundly now. I’ll return to worrying about the tenderness of my steak and the frequency of drinks service rather than anything important !
Yetak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 18, 4:21 pm
  #373  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,287
I have some bad news for you about that steak...
Yetak likes this.
bisonrav is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 18, 2:20 am
  #374  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BA, Hilton
Posts: 825
Quick question to the FT knowledge base.

We've a booking where on 2 of the 4 sectors we can't select seats that are showing available to us, system errors and says to phone BA when I try to confirm. Gold line had the same issue, wouldn't work for them so the agent said she'd sent a manual request to the seating team.

Can anyone tell me how long such requests usually take, i.e. when should I set a reminder to check and phone back if needed?

Thanks in advance.
BertieBadger is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 18, 3:24 am
  #375  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 16
My family of 4 are flying to LGW - TPA in a few weeks time and back in about 4 weeks.

Trip home is WT+ after taking a good POUG.

Seat plan for return journey was showing an odd 32 seat layout when I upgraded which changed a few days ago to a more familiar 24 seat WT+ cabin on a 777. Except now the cabin is showing full except for one seat so I have no option of reserving my four seats if I wanted to.

BA appear to still be selling seats in this class on the flight for 1000 each, with business only 1300.

Assuming there is no equipment change again before we fly what is likely to happen when we try OLCI the day before the flight?

Do we risk downgrade or is it more likely they will upgrade others to make the required space.

We are travelling two adults and two under 12.
Just got loading info from the other thread. BA2166
TPA to LGW on 06/03/18
Point of Sale: UK
TPA 5:00p → LGW 6:30a
J7 C7 D5 R1 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H7 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0​​​​​​

Last edited by stu002; May 5, 18 at 3:26 am Reason: Extra info
stu002 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread