Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:08 am

I recently booked with AA miles... SYD-HKG-LHR-CDG-HEL-HKG-SYD

The AA PNR (only one I have) didn't work on BA.com...BUT...as I have seen before with other airline web sites..it brought up the BA PNR...which also worked on AYs website..where I was able to select seats on the CDG-HEL-HKG segments as they do NOT charge...

Now I have to find out the QF PNR...and decide whether paying for seat selection on BA is necessary...

Its a 777 and some of those seats don't look great (CW)
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I wonder if someone could help with a query:

We booked two seats on the winter sun LPA (Gran Canaria) flight from LHR for 4 Feb, returning on 11 Feb. Didn't book Club Europe as they wanted stupid money for the tickets (think a grand rtn for 2). Forced into ET, we managed to bag a great deal by adding a car to the flights. I reserved seats in row 11 (exit) both ways. Unfortunately the curtain has been moved back to behind row 12. We were re-allocated to row 15 outbound and 27 return. MMB says we have 4 seats reserved. What does this mean? Does it mean that if all J seats are not sold they'll move us back to row 11? I was a bit shocked as a Gold member to be moved inbound to the second most rear row on the A320, when rows in front appear available to select.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Similar to Dicksbits above, but i'm flying next week to Berlin. Seat reserved in ET in row 6. Looking at the seat map now, it shows the curtain between 6 and 7, with row 7 greyed out, but MMB offers:
Choose a new seat or keep seat 6A (undefined)
The seat map is very empty, and would like to stay nearer the front if possible. Should I just leave it until OLCI? Exactly the same situation on the return!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:40 am

what happens to seat assignments when your status goes from gold to silver? I have an exit row seat on both iad-lhr & lhr-cai when I was gold and bought the ticket. I will be silver next week. I hope that as long as I do not change my seat selection, I'm OK. But I cannot change to a different exit row seat. Correct?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When is the flight? There's reports of the system "flushing" out golds turned silver now and again
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
When is the flight? There's reports of the system "flushing" out golds turned silver now and again
In 2 months, at the end of March 2017
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Confirmed I lost my exit row seats. I was reassigned to next to my brother seat (no status). Oh well, I reselect a better choice except the exit row.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:03 am

I am trying to work out whether there is an error on the website or with the agent when trying to book 2 exit seats on the upper deck of the 380 (economy!) from LAX as a BA Silver
Can log in online and it tells me that the seats are £32 each (the breakdown shows the price is £61 less the £29 already paid(?) so the delta to be paid is £32)
I progress through the process and enter card security details etc and get the following message

"Sorry, we're unable to book these seats as requested
Sorry, we've encountered a problem. Please contact your local British Airways office to request your seats"

When I call I am told they are £61 each not £32....

I can't find this on the bugs and glitches thread so not sure which is the "correct" price

Should be back to Gold after this trip thankfully
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:42 am

Doesn't quite work like that!

Despite what Prospero says, even when my travel agent split the booking for my seats off the group and provided me with the locator, then BA group bookings refused to sell me Extra Legroom seats saying "the travel agent owns the booking so that BA can't change it".
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:45 pm

Apologies if this has been covered previously, but I have a question regarding seat selection and AA status.

I've got my family of 5 (two children, though at 2 and 4 not infants) booked in Club World MSY-LHR in September.

I understand there is a fee to be paid if I have no status to select seats, but BA.com is not showing me even the option of selecting the seat for a fee. When I go to Manage My Booking It says only "seat choices are only available at check-in."

Is this common for it not to even be an option, or does anyone suspect that will change as it gets closer?

I was also considering doing a status challenge to Platinum with AA, which would give me One World Silver once I get within 3 months of departure. If I do that, and get One World Silver status, will I instantly have the option to select seats?

I know that BA policy is to at least make sure that one adult is assigned a seat with each child on my booking, but obviously I'd prefer to have us all in proximity.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:27 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
This was my experience last Friday, DME-LHR on a mid-haul A321. Selected 19D (2 seater) in front of the emergency exit. Up until OLCI opened, would allow me to select an exit seat for £45. Being the cheapskate that I am and having looked at Expertflyer, knew the seats hadn't been chosen by anyone. OLCI opens and, thinking I would now be able to select one for free.......NO, showing as un-selectable at OLCI. Check on Expertflyer and the seats were still showing as blocked.

Thankfully, theoretical seating seemed to have worked in my favour as 19E was still showing as blocked also. On boarding, 20A, B & C were unoccupied. After take off and seat belt signs were off, the crew let a couple of passengers move to them.

So it seems as Silver, if you choose not to pay for an exit seat up until OLCI opens, then they're not going to give you one for free .

S
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
My wife is flying from EDI to CLT via LHR booked using AA miles in business class. I have been able to assign the seat from LHR to CLT on the AA flight but cannot select a seat without a fee on the BA segment from EDI to LHR. When I look up the flight information it says it is booked into Class U for the BA flight. Is this normal or is something unusual going on?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottinaz
I have been able to assign the seat from LHR to CLT on the AA flight but cannot select a seat without a fee on the BA segment from EDI to LHR.
No mistake or error. BA charge a seat selection fee in business class unless you have mid-high status.
Look here post 2 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post20030917
A common question - compliant about BA business class seating
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
Similar to Dicksbits above, but i'm flying next week to Berlin. Seat reserved in ET in row 6. Looking at the seat map now, it shows the curtain between 6 and 7, with row 7 greyed out, but MMB offers:

The seat map is very empty, and would like to stay nearer the front if possible. Should I just leave it until OLCI? Exactly the same situation on the return!
What happened? I have the same situation.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA
I've paid for seats in Upper Deck 747 out to LAS and was interested in the CS reps comment as described in the refund section -

" In the event British Airways has to change your seat assignment, BA will endeavour to seat you in a suitable alternative."

Could a suitable alternative (for BA) be on the lower deck? Or would I have the option of a refund if I wasn't offered an Upper deck seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.