BA Seating Policy Guide

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 16, 10:54 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 23, 16, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I am traveling with my wife (same PNR) and two adult kids (different PNRs, no status), all in paid CE, and am trying to get us all into the bulkhead on an A319. No problem for me and wife, as I am OWE. When I called on my son the agent said "hmm those are restricted please hold" but came back within a minute or two and had his seat assigned. Called back later for my daughter and no-can-do. Tried with different agents on two subsequent calls. One of them submitted a request to the "seating department" three weeks ago but nothing has changed. (I found out that the "seating department" is really just two people for the entire BA system, and that my request is still in the queue.)

Any other ideas? When should I expect the restriction on that seat to be lifted? When I look at my reservation I can see it's still open.
Old Jul 27, 16, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Apologies for the basic question here, but I've read through these pages and have seen a couple of differing answers. I have booked a flight in CE for myself and partner under two different flight bookings as she has to travel the first leg of the journey from Edinburgh to London at a different time to me before we then do the CE flight to DUB together at a separate time. I'm BA Gold and she is BA Silver. For the CE flight from LHR to DUB I can currently see all seats in rows 1 and 2 as available on my seating plan, but cannot choose these seats on her online seating plan. I called the BA Gold desk to ask them to link the bookings together and assign her seats next to me (which I have done in the past), but they now say this isn't possible. Is this because of FLY only allowing visibility of certain seats to different members? If so, would these seats become available at T-72 or T-24 for her to choose, so we can sit together - currently there are no other pairs next to each other in CE apart from rows 1& 2 which I can see, so she is sitting in row 4 at the moment and I am in row 1
Old Aug 3, 16, 6:38 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
What kind of AA elite status (if any) might get me to book free seats on a BA transatlantic flight?
Old Aug 3, 16, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW View Post
What kind of AA elite status (if any) might get me to book free seats on a BA transatlantic flight?
OW Emeralds and OW Sapphires from the date of booking, or OW Rubies from 7 days before the flight.
Old Aug 3, 16, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
I am only Blue in BAEC. I have always in the past paid to select middle aisle seats. I'm wondering if this is really necessary. That is, once it opens for Bronze+ a week ahead how quickly plain ol economy goes or if Bronze+ are likely to be flying premium economy+.

These are transatlantic flights if that matters.

Thank you.
Old Aug 7, 16, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
OW Emeralds and OW Sapphires from the date of booking, or OW Rubies from 7 days before the flight.
That's theory not reality. I have been OW Emerald for many consecutive years, and I have never been able to get ba.com to preassign me a seat. For example, on Saturday I am flying DEL-LHR in Club World and ba.com keeps trying to sell me a preassigned seat.

There used to be a workaround whereby one could edit the reservation using the Finnair website, delete the frequent flyer number from AA (Executive Platinum on AA = OW Emerald), reinsert the number, and then have ba.com pick up the Emerald status and allow the seat preassignment. However, this workaround quit working some time ago.

Totally frustrated.
Old Aug 7, 16, 10:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but could somebody shed light on BAs seating policy where you are not even allowed to change your preallocated seat at check-in 24 h prior to flight? I am OWE but not BAEC member, fly BA shorthaul about every second week, and this was a first for me.

A seat change would have cost me 14 EUR at check-in. Fortunately I had been assigned a window seat, not middle. Only low cost carriers would be expected to pull such a stunt, no?
Old Aug 7, 16, 11:59 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but could somebody shed light on BAs seating policy where you are not even allowed to change your preallocated seat at check-in 24 h prior to flight? I am OWE but not BAEC member, fly BA shorthaul about every second week, and this was a first for me.

A seat change would have cost me 14 EUR at check-in. Fortunately I had been assigned a window seat, not middle. Only low cost carriers would be expected to pull such a stunt, no?
Were you on a HBO fare that does not allow free seat selection? Or do you mean that once you're checked in and receive a boarding pass you cannot change your allocated seat online?
Old Aug 8, 16, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by nux View Post
Were you on a HBO fare that does not allow free seat selection? Or do you mean that once you're checked in and receive a boarding pass you cannot change your allocated seat online?
What is a HBO fare? Home Box Office?
I could not select a seat 48 h before, nor when I checked in, before receiving my boarding pass.
Old Aug 8, 16, 2:24 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue View Post
What is a HBO fare? Home Box Office?
I could not select a seat 48 h before, nor when I checked in, before receiving my boarding pass.
It is described in the first post of this thread. They are now marketed as Basic fares, and clearly shown during the booking process on BA.com. See post #1: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...icy-guide.html

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-sch-bchs.html
Old Aug 8, 16, 2:26 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
HBO = hand baggage only. In that case , yes you have to pay.
It may be cheaper to pay for a baggage inclusive fare if you have one world status as you would then be able to select for free.
Old Aug 8, 16, 2:32 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan pleb, Skyteam Elite Plus
Also, even on HBO flights, you can usually change your seat for free using the self-service check in kiosks at the airport.
Old Aug 8, 16, 3:00 am

Programs: BA AA
OW status assigning seat

Hi ccengct. I believe you can assign seats by speaking with BA on the phone. My wife has AA Plat which is OW Saphire which as you say failed to originally open up the seats. Just yesterday I called and the BA agent deleted her number and re-added it which opened up the seats!

Originally Posted by ccengct View Post
That's theory not reality. I have been OW Emerald for many consecutive years, and I have never been able to get ba.com to preassign me a seat. .....

Totally frustrated.

Last edited by worldmiles; Aug 8, 16 at 3:03 am Reason: Incomplete
Old Aug 8, 16, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by nux View Post
It is described in the first post of this thread. They are now marketed as Basic fares, and clearly shown during the booking process on BA.com. See post #1: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...icy-guide.html

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-sch-bchs.html
Thank you very much for the help. I have indeed a basic fare but I've never encountered this ticket type before when booking through our corporate booking engine. And I found it hard to belive a carrier like BA would not allow free seat selection at check-in. Quite astonishing.

Thanks also for the tip regarding check-in kiosks. Will take a look next time.
Old Aug 8, 16, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Not just BA. Lufthansa Economy Light has the same restriction.

Search this Thread